Adding Amazon links to a Wordpress blog...

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (26 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Any smart way of doing this? I am starting the rather daunting task of building my own site. Finally.

I am used to the very basic interface of Blogger and whilst I have swiftly picked up on the basics (theme installed, familiar with categories, posting, etc).

I have a few widgets, is there a handy plugin or anything for posting Amazon products in the style of those blogger boxes?

At current I can only think of text links and image links, self-made.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've used Amazon Autoposter for my bellydancing DVD review blog. 

For my purpose, it's a great plugin because I can enter a keyword or phrase, then it will find all the products and create a separate post for each one, complete with a thumbnail, the description and a link.  It will even schedule the posts!

All I have to do is remove the description and write my review, and I'm done. 

The downside is that it doesn't include the price or a "buy now" type button.  I still can't decide whether that's a bad thing or not - without the pricing, it's less obvious that my blog is mainly aimed at selling Amazon DVD's!

2. profile image0

I have just come across 'Amazon Autoposter' in the plugin search, is this what I need?

3. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

WP-Zon & PHPZon are good plugins.[paid]

Wordpress amazon connect is free with revenue sharing option or paid with per site license.

I used connect & wpzon on my blogs. WPZon is good in terms of features imo.

4. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I think I just grabbed a plugin that allowed me to add HTML code to my sidebars, etc. I'll look up the name of it if you're interested. I figured that way I could easily switch between Amazon, AdSense, et.al.

1. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Advertising manager

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I guess that I will check that out too smile

ps. Nice pic.

lol, Limited time only .. an actual picture of me and the fam

5. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

I like Amazon Niche Store

Its also pretty easy to place the contextual widgets directly into your template code w/o any plugins at all

6. profile image0

@skyfire - I am going to try and keep it as low cost as possible until I prove to myself that I can attract the traffic, my previous domain acquisitions have almost exclusively been failures lol I did check this one out on Market Samurai, so my fingers are firmly crossed, but I will wait to see if the traffic converts before shelling out money. Thanks though.

@lrohner & Sunforged - You have both now effectively volunteered to take an email from me in the next week or so asking more about your suggestions lol, it has just taken me two hours to effectively set up categories in a hierachy, I'm not sure that you know who you are dealing with here! I am an 'own host' virgin wink This could take me a while... but I will succeed! I don't even know how to add AdSense yet... but with just 1 blog post as of yet, I won't be needing to worry about that just yet!

7. sunforged profile image70

Check out LiveWith Richards suggested plugins

http://makecashwriting.com/writers-spot … e-content/

I use quite a bit more than that but its a good start

8. Lily Rose profile image84
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

I just had to jump in and say great picture of the family, Josh!  I'm glad I got to see it during this limited time...

Sorry Ryan!

I like your picture also smile

2. profile image0

No apology required or necessary, the term 'Hijack' was firmly rejected by my online vocabulary pretty much instantly.

9. Bill Manning profile image67
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

You said it was a wordpress blog. May I ask if you mean it's a free wordpress blog on the wordpress site, or if it's your very own site with your own hosting?

The reason why I ask is that if you use a wordpress blog on the wordpress site, they don't like affiliate links in them. I had one with just a few links and they deleted it!!!

Which is why I always recommend you use your own hosting and own your own site. If it's your very own site than put whatever you want on it.

I myself hardcode everything in the sidebars. But there are many cool plugins to use in here:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/

1. profile image0

Yes i bought a 1 year hosting package with bluehost, with the domain included. I installed wordpress directly from the cpanel, and then figured out how to install a template (before discovering that I could have just done this from the admin panel hmm )

Going to take some getting used to, but finally made the necessary jump. Think this will be a slow burner though, I am concentrating on my Hubpages for the Christmas rush lol

1. Bill Manning profile image67
        Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ahhh, good for you. In time you will find your web site post will rank higher than your hubs, or any article written on an article site for that matter.

Then you can keep 100% of the profits and build pages of affiliate items. I'm not knocking hubpages, many make good money here. I'm just stating the fact that if your good you can make more with your own site, but that should be a no brainier. smile

10. englightenedsoul profile image57
    englightenedsoulposted 13 years ago

I could not help myself offering my little value suggestions here. 

My first pick for amazon ads would be wp-amazon.  We just need to add some html code in our template and then we can select custom field and add amazon products.  Though we can't manually add them.  It is more like a search function of amazon.  Thissoli uses this and the page will look like this:

http://www.thisisfreelance.com/articles … r-reviews/

And as Sunforged has already mentioned Amazon niche store would be my second choice.  We can display niche store.

And to insert individual products from amazon directly into post,just like we do at hubpages, you can try "Amazonify".  It also the option to display ads as Omakese link and you can decide whether you want your product to the right or left.

I hope that helps!!

1. profile image0

Thank you for your input, I have now found a way of putting Amazon in my post. I can't remember which plugin it was, in fact I think it was just called 'Amazon In A Post'... but that is perfectly sufficient smile

1. netlexis profile image62
        netlexisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Amazon PIP (Product in Post) is probably what it is.

11. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Ryan, You don't need a plug-in to put Amazon links in your wordpress blog. But you do have to do things in a certain order so that wordpress doesn't eat your Amazon links.

Put your post together, insert all of the links that you need, then go to html view and insert your Amazon link and amend that link as needed in the html view. DO NOT go into the visual mode again. Publish your hub. If you need to rewrite, go directly to html view and edit there and republish. If you go to visual view, wordpress eats the code and you have to return to html view and re-insert it.

I use as few plug-ins as possible in Wordpress because there are so many problems with them.

(As lrohner would say, you're out of time out.)

1. Fiction Teller profile image61
      Fiction Tellerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nelle, thanks for sharing that.  I've been wondering why this happens and painstakingly saving my code on a text document to re-insert when I need to change the page.  I thought it was just the template I was using.

12. sunforged profile image70

It is a good idea to limit plug ins in order to keep site speed up and to limit conflicts during all the inevitable upgrades.

I wouldnt put Amazon in that category though - with a good plug in you can just use short code  or browse within WP for the ASIN, you never even need to open your Amazon affiliate dashboard.

You also can get more detailed control of the styling to better integrate with your site.

1. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't have to go to the dashboard. I just have that nice toolbar at the top of the amazon page. I click "link to this page", it spews up the code and I put it in the wordpress post.

You can change some of the formatting right there. It just doesn't seem to warrant a plug-in. I've had soooooo many problems with wp upgrades and plug-ins fighting with each other. It's just a lot of effort, where my time can be spent elsewhere.

Just wanted people to know plug-ins aren't always necessary.

But that ebay thing Oli was talking about - might have to take a look at it. Ebay ads are driving me crazy in WP.

It probably depends on the level of integration you desire, my sites are highly stylized and customized,, amazon widgets stick out like a sore thumb.

But I focus much more on ebay , my amazon integration is really just intended to make the lower prices on ebay more desirable. If you more often than not hand select products it may not be a time saver.

My favorite (no plug in needed) is to stick the contextual ad code between the post and comment section of my templates.

It loosk great and I am not involved in any way.

But for in post integration I really prefer the ease of short codes when it comes to ad management, Have you used a plugin that integrates short code?

for example for wpzon mentioned above [wpzon keywords="citizen watch"]  , Do you use CJ also?  http://www.wpnicheground.com/

13. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Hey

wp-amazon ads is very good, and it also has an ebay alternative.

You can get a plugin that enables iframes, which in turn makes it easy to use Amazons standard widgets.  I however decided against using that on my open article directory since it leaves your site open for malicious code. (I have a growing number of authors writing on my site so it would be difficult to monitor every single persons activity.)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)