who taught you how to hate?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (36 posts)
  1. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 15 years ago

That is the question.  That is it, nothing more nothing less.  Who taught you how to hate?

1. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

My foolish ego and lack of God knowledge smile

1. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

lol- loved it!!! smile

2. BDazzler profile image78
      BDazzlerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm not convince I was taught to hate.   I think hate is the result of love ..

http://hubpages.com/hub/Perfect-Hatred

1. profile image0

I figured sorrow was loves counterpart.  smile

1. aka-dj profile image64
          aka-djposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I thought sorrow was joy's counterpart. hmm

1. BDazzler profile image78

That makes more sense to me.  But joy and love are related ... ('course everything's related)

2. BDazzler profile image78

Love and sorrow definitely go together in many cases, but I don't know that one always necessitates the other...

1. profile image0

well I dunno, let's see here...

When you have love and then don't have love, it doesn't feel like hate unless it was never love to begin with....

???

Sorrow seems what you (at least I) feel when something bad happens, which is sort of like empathy, I don't see it as hate.

???

Maybe we should look at the root of Love. 

Sorrow- biblically, sorrow was what God felt to give up his son.  Sorrow is what Jesus felt when murdered by the ones he loved.

So it would seem that sorrow was the root of Love.

Let's look into it some more.  wink

aka-dj

I would have thought being bored to be the opposite of joy.  ??? I dunno.  smile

OK let's say that I love A ...
              Then B hurts A to the point where I lose A
              I might hate B and have sorrow about my loss of A

1. profile image0

Translation for debates sake ( please no one take this offensively smile)

I love Jesus,
                then God hurt Jesus to the point where I lost Jesus
                I might hate God and have sorrow about my loss of Jesus.

???

I love God
                then Jesus hurt God to the point where I lose God
                I might hate Jesus and have sorrow about my loss of God.

Let's keep trying.  This analogy doesn't make so much sense at the moment.  wink

One of the places I don't agree  with you is that Jesus and God are different entities. I say this not from a point of doctrine but from personal revelation.  So, if God allowed Jesus to be hurt, it was voluntary on both of their parts because they share one mind and one purpose.

My personal revelation on the trinity and the oneness of God, does not conflict with scripture, but the details don't match anybody elses, and the words I might use to explain it, I think people might not understand.

So, let's move it out of that part and say ...
                  I love my grandmother.
                  cancer hurts and kills my grandmother
                  I have sorrow at the loss of my grandmother
                  I hate cancer

1. profile image0

I also agree that God and Jesus aren't different entities, hand down I am with you on that.  ( of course I would have to ask what your personal definition of entity is smile

so then hate is to have never loved, not the opposite of love.  But you loved your Grandmother and because you loved her, when you lost her it was sorrow. 

If we moved it back in;

God allowed Jesus to be hurt and Jesus agreed to be hurt but they were both rooted in love for one another and hate was not part of either of them.

smile

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Parents. Siblings. School. Street.

I think hate is always fear... smile

1. profile image0

sounds familiar. lol
      smile

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

In your case probably church, too. In my case - corresponding communist party institution smile

4. Jeromeo profile image60
    Jeromeoposted 15 years ago

Disappointment, envy, greed, selfishness, and oh yea, what the other guy said.

5. dingdong profile image58
    dingdongposted 15 years ago

I think abandoned kids learn it faster smile

6. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 15 years ago

Almost always via the parents or authority figures. Hateful parents usually breed hateful children. However, thankfully, there are lots of decent children who reject their parents' instilled hatred.

7. aka-dj profile image64
    aka-djposted 15 years ago

Sometime it helps me understand these types of "opposites" by imagining them a line. Love, in it's highest form on one end, and hate, at it's worst at the other. So, in life other people fall somewhere along that line. Hopefully close to the love end. smile

Ecclesiastes 3 ... I think this means that all emotions are appropriate at the right time.  To suppress or deny "negative" emotions such as hate, anger, sorrow actually diminish the times for "positive" emotions.

8. aka-dj profile image64

Bored is the opposite to being active/busy, either mentally, or physically. I usually get bored when I have nothing to do.

1. profile image0

Really?  Because I get bored when I have plenty to do, physically and mentally. 

What brings you joy?

smile

9. aka-dj profile image64

If B hurts A, that has little to do with me. I don't have to hate either one. I can love both.
    I have two children. One hurt me (and my wife) grieviusly, and caused the other to "hate" her sister for what she did to us. We loved them both the same( and still do). Our encouragment to (B) was, don't hate (A). In time, we are all ok again. It was love that conquered in the end.
    Grieved, yes we were very grieved, but "hate" never entered the equation for us.

Did you read my "Perfect Hatred" hub?  That's the context I'm working from.

B always hurts A because:
      B is Jealous - so you hate Jealousy - and wipe out jealousy by providing security.
      Or
      B does not understand - so you hate ignorance and wipe it out with education.
      A has been teasing B - so you had unkindess - and wipe it out by teaching kindness.

In all cases you have sorrow for the hurt and perhaps sorrow for the one doing the hurting.

10. lionswhelp profile image67
    lionswhelpposted 15 years ago

Whatever causes hate? I'm sure that Satan the devil is in the details, Revelation 12:9, John 8:42-44.

Lionswhelp

1. profile image0

Burn your money Lionswhelp.  smile

11. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

I can honestly say I do not hate, I dislike ways of others sometimes but I cannot hate who they are. I guess I see things a little differently. My parents had so many ethnic friends that I believe I was a little over sheltered. smile and then I became defiant and thought I knew everything lessons I learned in my life have made me a much stronger person. smile

12. LondonGirl profile image82
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

I don't think I do hate anyone, really.

13. TravelMonkey profile image59
    TravelMonkeyposted 15 years ago

I do not hate any person, I hate actions or decisions people may make but not an actual person. I do actually hate cats though lol

14. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

Certainly the church way back when, you know we are the only true religon. But they teach it day in and day out on the good old tv. How would the ruling class get anybody to do anything without hate?

15. pylos26 profile image70
    pylos26posted 15 years ago

Hate flourishes where it is welcomed...first it is annoyance, then irritation, then bitterness, and if nourished sufficiently develops into full blown hate. However, one must employee savvy to achieve riddance of such a cancer. Hate provides little more than temporary personal satisfaction and then it starts and continues to burn your insides out as long as it is tolerated, which was surely always its primary objective.  pylos

1. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Love unites and hate disintegrates smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)