Ok who was it?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Joe Badtoe profile image60
    Joe Badtoeposted 13 years ago

I was 'banned' from posting for 3 days - The Hub Team have yet to explain their reasons despite three requests from me.

I'm assuming I was reported by one of the few right wing posters that I have had the odd debate with. I even have an inkling who it was. I find the whole thing a bit sad and desperate.

It has left a bad taste although it does strenghten my belief that if you get under the skin of a right winger dirty tricks usually follow. So take a bow whoever you are if it has brightened your day getting a fellow hubber banned because you disagreed with them the problem lies with you and your inability to debate.

I'm as disappointed in the HUB Management for simply banning me without bothering to explain why or offering to hear my view on this. Democracy eh?

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For the record, it wasn't me, even though you were very insulting toward me personally.
      Whatever!

Joe Badtoeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My 'insult' to you Brenda was in response to your right wing views , which you seem keen to emphasise with practically every post you make (your comments on the LA riot topic?). You could have simply traded insults with me because that's how it plays sometimes.

And lets face it calling someone a 'nutjob' is hardly soul destroying is it?

Never mind I'll just avoid confronting your views from now on.

I wish you good health

2. Ron Montgomery profile image58
      Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You were probably banned for your personal attack on Brenda.  As I stated in that thread, you can strongly disagree with someone and still be polite.

2. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

And you think this post will help matters?

A hubber cannot get you banned.  They can flag a comment, hub or your profile, but it's ultimately up to HP.  HP evaluates the situation and makes that determination.  You have to work that out with HP.

Why shouldn't this post 'matter' ?  I find that view a bit odd KCC

My post appears to be the only way to illustrate the arbitrary manner in which one can get banned without any recourse. I don't mind being banned if I write abusive and disparaging stuff but I haven't done this.

Just disappointed that HP seem to make judgements without bothering to explain them and then flick a switch.

1. KCC Big Country profile image84
        KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I didn't say your post didn't matter.  I asked you if you thought going about it this way would help things/matters.  HP owns the site, they don't have to get anyone's vote on it.  I'm sure they'll be happy to explain it to you.  I'm sorry they haven't contacted you back yet.  Did you email them at team@hubpages.com?  Have you checked your spam folder to see if they replied?

3. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Joe,

At the end of the day, if HubPages bans you, then it is your fault.

Because, HubPages staff will not ban someone for something they did not do or say to another hub writer.

People are banned all the time from the forums, even when they do not realize they did something wrong. If you insult someone, and another hub writer flags it to bring it to the attention of the moderators, and a moderator agrees that it was inappropriate, then you are banned.

It's that simple. We are all adults here and not children.

This posted thread and the big deal you are making out of it, seems petty, on a larger scale of the community.

So, my question to you is what are you missing about the fact that you were banned?

4. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I've never flagged any post on the forums - ever. I hope I never see the need to do so!

5. KCC Big Country profile image84

I just went back to your hubtivity of 3 days ago and found the forum thread that probably did it for you.  It was a forum in which you were calling people "nutjobs" and "dumbf**ks".  That'll do it.  You can't honestly think you can call people names and not be banned.

6. KCC Big Country profile image84

I also see where you have posted a couple of questions in the "Answers" section, one of which is "How do I complain to the egotisitical owners of hubpages? or are they just a little too sensitive?" So, if all you've done is post questions in the Answers forum and started threads here as your way of notifying HP staff, then no wonder you haven't gotten a response.  You have to email them directly.

7. Joe Badtoe profile image60
    Joe Badtoeposted 13 years ago

Cagsil

We are indeed adults which makes the whole idea of banning a bit childish don't you think? Petty? isn't petty to have a ost banned for simply having a heated debate with someone who's views happen to be the xtreme oppositie of mine? I can take criticism and I can take verbal abuse and I certainl wouldn't flag up a post that threw such insults at me. Petty is the poster that felt the need to flag up the post n the first place don't you think?

KCC shoud I be worried you're taking such an interest in my posts? A joke BTW. My generic and tongue in cheek retorts on that post you mention was in response to what appears a plethora of right wingers who condemn everyone and everything that they disagree with.

I mailed HP three times and got no response.

Thanks to both of you for your input though I genuinely appreciate it.

1. KCC Big Country profile image84
      KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The only reason I took an active interest in your posts is because YOU brought it up by starting this thread.  Otherwise, I couldn't care less.  You were asking for "help" understanding why you were banned and I was offering "help". 

I can tell you that if I had been involved in that conversation and witnessed those comments when they were being made, I would have flagged it.  But, again, for the record, my flag, or anyone else's here, doesn't mean ANYTHING, unless HP looks at it and decides it was out of line.

2. profile image0
      Norah Caseyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We responded to you 11 hours before you created this thread, and notified you that you had been banned for personal attacks. Calling someone a "nutjob" is a violation of our terms of use. Please flag any other violations of this kind that you encounter on the forums.

8. Len Cannon profile image87
    Len Cannonposted 13 years ago

You should really just try dealing with it.  If you're banned, it isn't because of a single dastardly poster out to get you.  It is because you did something that was explicitly against the rules.

Unfortunately, a single report doesn't have the power to get anyone banned. Lord knows I'd cut a swath through the unwashed masses on Hubpages like the Vikings through coastal Europe.

Moderating forums is hair pulling work. A three day ban is nothing.

Keep up the good fight against the ridiculous conservative opinions or whatever, though. Just find cleverer ways of making them seem stupid.

it's not a question of dealing with it I really don't mind or care if I get banned. It was the principle behind it ie being banned not being told why and not getting any feedback from HP.

It's easy enough to make right wing conservatives seem stupid just allow them to post as this usually suffices.

Thanks for your input Len much appreciated.

9. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

You are jut a very very very bad boy!!  and you deserve to be spanked never mind just banned for a few days !  In the rough and tumble of HP forums we call each other names all the time - most of the time the target is doing the same and so it seems all rght.  We get banned occasionally because sometimes we go a little too far and cause genuine offence and sometimes the target who complains is just a downright sneaky wimp, often with sneaky little friends who organise themselves to 'report' you all at the  same time to mak it look like a genuine complaint.  HP can't really do anything about this except ban you if you left the ammunition lying round in the thread.  The most likely people to get you banned are our foaming at the mouth right wing religious brethren, you know the ones who post pace, love and jellybabies all round while being totally obnoxious.  So tread careful in the garden and be sure to not directly attack anyone, a personal attack leaves you wide open.

It is pointles criticing HPstaff because the rules is the rules and they have to police them.  I only once got any response about being banned for a few days, the rest of the time just nothing.

Good luck

10. lakeerieartists profile image65
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

HP is a company that needs to protect the interests of the contracts that they have with their business partners including Adsense.  If you can't follow the rules of the site, then you will be banned.  Simple as that.

11. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

get over it, and learn.

12. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Yet another pointless thread!

Take your punishment and enjoy the 3 days away from the forums!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)