What is Truth?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (39 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ArtKaliposted 14 years ago

Is truth a personal perspective or is it an absolute fact?  Thinking on the ramifications of individual perspectives of truth, I realize that truth may be in the eyes of the beholder.

1. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
      Shahid Bukhariposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Truth; Is ...

What is "Not" ...

Is ... Fallacy.

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
        Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I understand...

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
      Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

At our Human level of understanding, I believe it is merely perception.

3. de'Arab profile image54
      de'Arabposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Perception is truth to the beholder. Truth is a colllection of perceived truth. Makes sense?

4. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Truth is truth. It's based on the collective of all things learned.

Everything else is based on perceptions/perspectives, some people believe to be truth, even though, they do not have all the information to form or understand the true meaning of their perception/perspective.

Truth isn't an individual perception/perspective and cannot ever be a singular perception/perspective.

1. Preethi Anusha profile image68
        Preethi Anushaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I go with Cagsil

2. Obscure Divine profile image61
        Obscure Divineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Total nonsense..., nothing more.  The so-called truth is always changing, just like the universe that surrounds YOU.

5. profile image0
      Dog On A Missionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Correspondance with reality.

6. profile image0
      Thomas Loscar Srposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ok ive read all the comments below and above. And I can tell you with absolute certainty ( but truely most ppl cannot handle the truth) ok one doesnt have to be a religous person to understand what the truth SHOULD be.  There are cosmic forces or energy if thats what you choose to call it that is intertwined to every planetary body within the known universe synchronizing all planets,  galaxies, and solar systems kind of like clockworks. Its well known that the moon affects the brain throgh the pineal gland located in the center of the brain also the fact that the brains in all lifes animals actually float within the scull cavity in a liquid and are anchored by the brain stem leading to the spine as well as the nervous system ergo much like the universe and its clockworks ppl will always follow the trends.When ppl are decieved they feel the need to retaliate and by doing so they must decieve the person that first decieved them to ( GET EVEN) this seed of deciept was planted a couple thousand years ago setting off a trend that to this day still exist's ergo everyone lies and until the trend is reversed(and it will be)then and only then will truth be a constant. Thank-you

7. munirahmadmughal profile image50
      munirahmadmughalposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"What is Truth?"
      The Fire burns is the knowledge of the certitude.
      The Fire is seen with one's own eyes burning some object, this is the Vsion of the Certitude.
      God forbid, one own hand falls into the fire and is burnt. This is the Truth of the Certitude.

May God be Kind to all of us.

8. daniel0365 profile image55
      daniel0365posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well, TRUTH for me is Sincerity; integrity.

9. wildorangeflower profile image60
      wildorangeflowerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

truth is what you make it

versus

agreed upon truth

2. pooja0908 profile image59
    pooja0908posted 14 years ago

Anything is truth
    which is not harmful for anyone
    makes others happy
    not used for personal issues
    and givees satisfaction.

1. profile image0
      suraj78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you!

2. Rishy Rich profile image72
      Rishy Richposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you too, according to your statement:

Poop / sh_it is truth
      Which is not harmful for anyone
      makes others happy ( farmers who can use it as fertilizers)
      not used for personal issues (too smelly to use smile )
      and gives satisfaction (specially when you do it after long time smile )

3. kephrira profile image60
    kephriraposted 14 years ago

I have to disagree with everyone about this idea of truth being relative. Truth must be objective and the same for everyone. Just because you see a magician make the statue of liberty disapear, doesn't mean that it actually did disappear. The actual truth is often different from the perceived truth, which is dependent on personal perspective and ceases to even appear to be true when seen from a different perspective.

4. dipless profile image68
    diplessposted 14 years ago

This is a very difficult question. For example if you look at the field of relativity and you have 2 people with two clocks, and one stays here on earth and one goes in a spaceship and travels at 99% the speed of light. The person on Earth their clock will appear to be running at normal pace however they will see the clock of the person on the ship as running slow. However to the Person on the ship their clock will appear to be running normally and the clock on earth will appear to be running fast. Now the reasoning behind this involves something called Lorenz transformations. But my point to the question is this: That each individual the one on earth and the one in the ship believe that their view of the world is true. So in essence truth is based on the frame of reference.

5. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

If there is an absolute Truth, it would be beyond our limited understanding.

6. profile image0
    hamstersmessiahposted 14 years ago

i believe in the OCR view.  observer-created reality.  truth is bounded only by the limitation of your ability to perceive the infinite.

1. Obscure Divine profile image61
      Obscure Divineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Marijuana?

7. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

remember there are several approaches to this.
    Two of them are the Idealistic approach, which states that truth depends on the individual self and his wish to consider and mold it and the materialistic approach which states that truth is independent of individuals and that it's there with or without us.
    I think each one of us makes his own truth salad.
    And from what Cagsil writes, a reasonable man should be an agnostic.

8. marinealways24 profile image59
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

I don't know if there is an absolute truth, but I do think more truth is found through skepticism than is found through everything said to be true.

9. profile image54
    probafixposted 13 years ago

Life and death is truth..

whatever we see that's truth.

10. wingedcentaur profile image64
    wingedcentaurposted 13 years ago

Good Day ArtKali,

This question is not unrelated to something we are pursuing in at least two of Pburgers forums: What is art?; and What is the function of communication? Also there may be some connection to another question Pburger pursues: Does science tell stories?

Furthermore, there is the issue of subjectivity and objectivity. And by the way, how do we "know" anything? Personally, I also like to make a distinction between knowledge and information (there is a difference) but we needn't get into that here.

But in thinking about the issue of subjectivity and objectivity, we are talking about the validity of intuition and logic. I happen to think the two are intimately related. But let's put that to one side.

Let me just say, here, that in my view, all serious human inquiry is concerned with asking and answering, or trying to answer one question: Why are we here? Truth, in this regard, is elusive. Truth (seeking) is a process of searching, not solely, or even primarily a thing.

What is art about? The search for truth.
    What is the function of communication? Outside of the utilitarian purposes, it's higher level involves the search for truth?
    What is the function of science? It is the search for truth.
    What is truth? It is, largely, a process we undertake to try to answer the question: Why are we here.

11. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

truth is something you are trying to squeeze from your husband when he came home too late with a lipstick on his face!

12. profile image54
    probafixposted 13 years ago

Truth can have a variety of meanings, from the state of being the case, being in accord with a particular fact or reality, being in accord with the body of real things, events, actuality, or fidelity to an original or to a standard, truth "behind" everything, the ontological truth. In archaic usage it could be fidelity, constancy or sincerity in action, character, and utterance.[1] Various theories and views of truth continue to be debated among scholars and philosophers. There are differing claims on such questions as what constitutes truth; what things are truthbearers capable of being true or false; how to define and identify truth; the roles that revealed and acquired knowledge play; and whether truth is subjective, relative, objective, or absolute. This article introduces the various perspectives and claims, both today and throughout history.

13. TruthDebater profile image52
    TruthDebaterposted 13 years ago

The truth is subjective.

1. profile image53
      SubjectiveThinkerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you: Truth, like Reality, is a subjective value. It exists only in the brain of he who believes it. When Darwin gave a lecture on evolution to the Royal Society of Scientists, those "brilliant" men monkey-laughed him out of the hall. At that time, the "fact" of Evolution existed only in the mind of Darwin.Today it exists in the minds of millions, but that doesn't make it an "objective" truth, because there are millions of ppl who say evolution is false.
      The same reasoning is valid for " right" and "wrong, "good" and "evil", "reality" and "illusion".
      Some ppl think the Sun rises in the East, and sets in the West. But they are wrong - aren't they!

14. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Truth is truth. Truth is in everything. It only has to be discerned.

15. profile image54
    iain12790posted 13 years ago

Truth is so hard to recognise. Sometimes, we need fiction and imagination to make it plausible. You could even argue that there is no actual truth, only one's perception.

16. profile image0
    ShadowKing!posted 13 years ago

It amazes me how people respond to threads like this. The subject in question is "truth". What is "truth"? That is the question, not "what is your unproven opinion"? That said, "truth" is worldwide recognized by grammarians to be defined in dictionaries as "a fact that has been verified". Any other rendering by unproven opinion-oriented spectators is invalid. Therefore, ANYTHING that has been respectfully verified to be a "fact" IS TRUTH. Aliens, Sasquatches, Loch Ness Monsters, levitating monks, etc., etc. are NOT "truths". Such unintelligent comments as "truth is everything" shows a person to be ignorant of his own statement. If "truth is everything" then gravity-defying flying monks are real. How absurd. Yes, because, show me a consensus "verifying" real evidence of someone "capable of levitating". This is an unproven assumption, therefore not a truth--a fact that has been verified. In conclusion: truth is not in the eye of the beholder, but in the realization of confirming something to exist.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

First, let me start out by saying, there was a typing mistake within that. Truth is IN everything. It is to be discerned, so as to make it fact.
      I never said truth is in the eye of the beholder. So, please do not put words into my mouth.

On a side note- Welcome to HubPages.

17. profile image0
    ShadowKing!posted 13 years ago

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on your typo problem. I'm not here to write insults, false accusations, or libel. And I never accused you of saying the "eye" thing. I was referring to ArtKali's comment. He or she said it.

Thanks for the welcome.

18. munirahmadmughal profile image50
    munirahmadmughalposted 13 years ago

"What is Truth?"
    Truth is that which has come from the All True Creator of all including heavens and earth and amnkind and other creations. The test is that the Truth prevails and falsehood vaishes.
    The falsehood cannot face the Truth. Truth is all true Knowledge. Truth is light that shows all deffects. God Almighty is with the truthful. May God bless all humanity.

19. bloominglily profile image59
    bloominglilyposted 13 years ago

Truth is prospective, but also an engima of sorts. I awlays hear people say the want truth, but what if turth is an unattable object? I have no answer to my own question. I just know that people say things are "true" because they need to believe. People have different definitions for everything, so I suppose truth is like life meaning it is what you make of it.
    Bloominglily

20. UniqueBeauty profile image59
    UniqueBeautyposted 13 years ago

Pontius Pilateonce asked that very same question. What is truth?

I believe that truth is absolute, despite the common thought of all is relative. Gravity here on earth is an absolute, whether you believe it or not. Truth is something that has been tried and proved and exists even in this culture today.

21. wilsonallen01 profile image59
    wilsonallen01posted 13 years ago

Cags is absolutely right. Truth is truth..

22. profile image0
    AMBASSADOR BUTLERposted 13 years ago

Truth is this. You are love You are peace You are free Now be love Now be peace Now be free This is who you are. This truth is the ultimate for human beings. Now being this is another story for human beings. This does not negate this truth. Now live the rest of your life on the earth with this truth about you and every other human being upon the earth. Examples: Hitler and the pastor in Florida that wants to burn the Holy Book for the Muslin religion on September 11, 2010. The pastor is a nucklehead and if he goes on to do this then the consequence will be more violence,death and destruction to humanity.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)