Truth

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (29 posts)
  1. mischeviousme profile image61
    mischeviousmeposted 12 years ago

It's true that there is space and water, we see it, we feel it, we're made of it. These are undeniable truths, but their still being filtered through perception. Perceptions are molded, never changed. We are habitual creatures in this way, our perceptions become attachments of sorts. We confuse said attachments with reality and apply it(indirectly)to our identity. Thus we are always right, within our selve's, we make judgements based on our sense of self.

We make our own truths, basically.

Is this a reasonable statement?

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
      Shadesbreathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Depends which philosopher you like. Locke or Descartes might go with that, Derrida would not. Always fun to think about though, ain't it?

2. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No

mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why not? Is your indoctrination that deep, that you have no opinion of your own?

1. profile image0
          Deborah Sextonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

All that I believe is mine and I am not indoctrinated. You will find no one else whose beliefs are like mine. So my "NO" is only because I disagree with you.

I'm sorry you can't allow others to have their own opinions, and because of that, you seem very indoctrinated with a very strange doctrine.

I'm sorry I couldn't agree with you the way you want.

I asked if it was reasonable, not that you see it my way. I'm sorry if it came off wrong...

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Of course one makes one's own truth by what one wants to believe. And people can believe anything in the mind.

Truth is nothing but perception, we learn through our individual attitudes/positions and it has an effect on our identity. If if one can let go of identity, he/she may become free of mind.

1. Druid Dude profile image61
        Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can perceive that something is true, you can perceive that the opposite is true, but the truth can actually be somewhere between your perception and mine, or it can exist outside of OUR perception. In short, we both might be full of it. Real truth remains regardless of what I or you perceive it to be.

1. profile image0
          Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That about sums it up.

2. profile image0
          jonnycomelatelyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I disagree.  The perception of truth requires a consciousness to perceive it.  If you/I are conscious of something then we can give description to it.  Without you/I, there is nothing.

I return to the original statement of "mischeviousme."  He asked "is this a reasonable statement."  I see several statements, not just one.  I don't need to agree with all of it or any part of it.  I have choice, so do you. 

Those who are indoctrinated will say they have no choice, only what "the Lord" puts into their mind.

The earth is here=statement of truth. If you or I were not here, if no human being was here, I assure you, the earth still would be, unless it is a mass illusion dependent on our existence. Kind of a spooky concept that last part. (Not totally out of the realm of possibility, either!)

The truth would still be truth if no one perceived it. What you said suggests that the room beyond the door doesn't really exist until someone opens the door and looks in. The room may not exist on a totally personal level, but in material reality the room existed outside of your experience. That is all.

What of the great egress? P.T. Barnum had a tent leading to the egress, people stood in long lines to see it... Turned out to be the exit. People for the most part, are naive. "One born every minute", as the saying goes. Our perceptions can be fooled, so then can our deepest minds. The illusions of life are of our own creation and we are easily swayed by them.

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

One can say there is the truth of the body which is feelings. One can say there is the truth of Identities which are the creation of the mind. Identities can definitely be and often are delusional, and where most of the trouble comes from. But Identities can
    be eliminated or changed.

4. Druid Dude profile image61
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

Only if you are:1) in the witness protection program
                             2) in the C.I.A.
                             3) A member of ODESSA

5. Saleeln18 profile image67
    Saleeln18posted 12 years ago

I believe it is a reasonable statement, it does necessarily apply to everything and anything but it is definitely a legitimate statement for some people and some situations. I think people believe what they want to believe, and see truth in what they want to be is true (also known as being naive).

For example: A girl is romantically involved with a guy who is well known "player", still she continues to pursue and committ to him.

Now, everyone else knows he is cheating on her, and deep down i'm sure she does as well. But she stays naive to this due to her own reasons: she won't accept the truth instead she will let her own truth about him suffice.

1. profile image0

Very glad to see you have some flexibility of mind.  We can only surmise and consider - keeping an honest and enquiring outlook, thank you.

The first paragraph could be true... if the door of the mind can be opened sufficiently to perceive it.  This would be outside of many, if not most, minds.  I appreciate that.  The colloquial religion is designed to avoid too much mental strain.

For the second paragraph, yes, I can accept that is how most of us would see the situation.

6. profile image0
    jonnycomelatelyposted 12 years ago

And yet you cannot see the truth of what I have written!  So you presume that I do not speak the truth?

Is it because of what I write, or is it because you cannot see?

Now why would you expect me to disrespect you like that. The question remains; do you believe that a thing doesn't exist until it is perceived to exist?

1. profile image0

At the present time, Yes.  I do believe that.  Not to say my mind will never change of course. 

In my previous post: "So you presume that I do not speak the truth?"  No, I was not assuming you would not respect me, sorry for conveying that idea.  Greatly respect your contributions.

Now, you lazy, idiotic, good for naught....JUST KIDDING! You may be miscomprehending the observation that the act of observing an experiment changes the experiment. Otherwise, your point is quite delusional. because there are 3 billion chinese, most of whom I would suggest, you have never seen. Things do exist which you have never witnessed. I will add that it is a typical euro opinion you state. euros think that the continents I stand on didn't exist until Columbus "perceived" them.

1. profile image0

Druid Dude, this is a quote from your own Profile:  "I believe that we are all on the threshold of a new age, a new understanding."

Would you like to explain to us how you envisage the "new understanding" coming about, if we don't "look beyond the square" and consider all ideas and possibilities, even if they do appear at first sight to be idiotic or improbable?

2. A Troubled Man profile image58
            A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Seriously dude, that is one of the most weakest, lamest arguments one can use to support anything. It's also a fallacy.

7. mischeviousme profile image61
    mischeviousmeposted 12 years ago

What ever I proclaim, I percieve as true...

1. aka-dj profile image63
      aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Deception produces understanding that seem true, but are in fact lies.

So, proclaiming perceived truth, can be a lie!

Absolutely... When a child learns something and retains said knowledge into adulthood, it is hard for certain aspects of said knowledge, to be unlearned. When it is taught as truth, there is little room for change. It has become a knowing, instead of an idea or understanding.

1. aka-dj profile image63
          aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But, it doesn't stop there, or stay that way, once TRUTH is revealed.
          To stay in deception thereafter is deliberate denial.

To accept truth means to change.

No-one is born again without such a transformation. NO ONE.

Every moment gone is a form of death, every moment not yet lived is a rebirth. A moment ago I was here, but I am here now. Every moment I exist, my brain is creating a picture for me and it shows via personality. So then the idea of God would be that very thing, a noun...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)