Following A Dream

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (77 posts)
  1. caravalhophoto profile image60
    caravalhophotoposted 14 years ago

Kids are grown, divorce is finalized and I am left with wishes, dreams and Hank (my Lab).  I have downsized and sold or gaveaway material items that have either been boxed for years or will have been boxed for years...went from 2800 sq feet to a 250 sq foot Studio...again with a large dog.

I have decided that I want to follow a dream and move away...Europe, Canada another State...(have lived in the SF Bay area..CA for 46 years).  I did live in Friday Harbor on the San Juan Islands while doing virtual tours for 6 months...between WA State and Canada...LOVED IT!  I have been to Canada and Jamaica...as vacations, so do not know alot except my constance research...safe neighborhoods, employment. crime, male to female ratio..wink I have always wanted to see all of Europe...Italy, France, Spain...but hey if I'm going there on vacation, it would probably be 6 months or better.

Here is my question...is there anywhere on this Planet that would satisfy my love of lush green, oceans or lakes, hiking, kayaking, nature at it's most beautiful, high speed internet of course, meandering roads that lead to small towns, safe, good wine, country roads...you know...perfect.

I'm ready to follow my dreams and move out of this space that I no longer desire in my being...I am restless...ideas? smile

1. frogdropping profile image77
      frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Portugal smile

If you like a slow lifestyle, good food and wine to suit. Not sure that anything about the country is missing from your list.

You appear to like the same things that I do (minus the kayaking - insert flip flops instead) so you could always stop by for a look see.

Happy choosing smile

caravalhophotoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you in Portugal frogdropping?  It is on my list of places to visit and is a consideration...would love to hear about life from the local fare, employment, crime, cost of living, best towns...

1. frogdropping profile image77

I am. If you need to know more, email me. I have lots of info. Had to work it all out over time. Life here is certainly interesting smile

I will...thank you smile

2. tobey100 profile image61
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep, Whites Creek, Tennessee.  I even provide the wine.

Thanks tobey100, I will research.  How is the weather in Whites Creek, TN?

1. tobey100 profile image61

We get every kind know to modern man.  you may be looking for a more tropical climate.  We got the winding country roads, the rivers and streams, mountains and everything else you required but, we get snow too.  We're also about 20 miles from the metropolis of Nashville so you can have a night life as well as all the shopping anyone could desire.  We're just far enough out in the sticks to be left alone.  no developers

That actually sounds perfect...I love the rain and I love the snow, however I visit the snow, never have lived in it...not quite sure about shoveling snow, but I do love to write when the rain is tapping on the roof...I love the smell...I just do not like humidity...(the kind that makes you feel wet all day) can not live with that...Florida is out as is much of the East Coast...but I do love to visit family in MD, NC, LA and Florida.

1. tobey100 profile image61

Then you'd love it here.  Where I live the temp is usually up to 10 degrees cooler than it may be 5 miles away.  We have a couple of fair to medium snows 2 or 3 times then, Spring.  Don't tell anyone but we even make our own wine.  Severla different kinds.

I will research the town...okay to email you if I have any questions?

2. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

For a tropical paradise I'd suggest the Marquesas Islands.

Is that off Africa?  I have heard of those Islands...is it more of a vacation or a place I can relocate to?

3. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

If you wanted all of that, and if you can handle it, Any Hawaiian island  would be able to accomplish all of that. but just to warn you if you aren't into the island living you will get island fever but the hawaiian islands are nice places to live.

My family is from Puunene, Maui...Island fever does kick in after 10 days.

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

aaaa then Hawaii is out...maybe Ireland?

Ireland is also on my list...I love the lush green mountain sides, the surrounding of the Ocean...do you know of a specific area of Ireland that you would recommend I research to relocate to.  That is my problem, I only find the sugar coated travel versions...would love to talk to someone who has been or lives there to give me the facts on living there.

1. profile image0

I haven't been there but from what I have heard you want to definitely stay south because of the constant turmoil in northern Ireland...I have always wanted to visit maybe in the Leinster area beacuse of Dublin...and the Munster area because of Kerry. Try researching Kerry and Dublin..maybe one of those areas would be a nice area to move to and there are so many areas in both regions but remember stay south

Thank you Crazd...I will research "South Ireland"  the two areas you suggested, that makes things so much easier for me when I can zero in on a specific area or regin.

1. profile image0

Welcome caraval I hope you find the perfect place for you and your dog to relocate to.

4. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

New Zealand comes close to your discription smile

1. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

NZ sounds like a paradise from what I hear! I have looked into moving there with the husband. He has a lot to do first tho, passport expired and wants to legally change his last name as he HATES the one he has now (don't ask!). He has a masters so we bet it could happen if we can get everything in place to do so smile

2. caravalhophoto profile image60

New Zealand is also a consideration and have been researching...best town to live in?  I guess that is what I'm looking for, when I research a Country or State...it is hard to get past the sugar coating...if you are in New Zealand...is there a specific town or area I could research that you would recommend?  It is just me and my dog and when I relocate...I want it to be the right destination.

5. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I hear that the south of france is great of all that beautiful stuff. Last summer we were going to have a camping trip there but decided to stay in the UK to camp with our niece and nephew. It was worth it to have the youngsters come along but I would like to try and fit in a weekend of camping in france next summer if possible. I do love living in the UK, thinking about camping in france? How freakin cool! cool

I have not considered the UK before...I would love to get on the trains and just go and explore, photograph, hike, write and even work in some of the Organic Wineries that I read about...is there a specific area or town I can research that is safe for a single girl and her dog?

Kent is called the garden of England and has loads of little towns and villages. I have seen proper straw roofs! Crazy. Love it! My mother in law runs a retirement hotel in Ashford and it has the eurostar and ferry services to france as well as trains to london (expensive!). There are beaches where you can just about see the lights from France on the horizon. Life is pretty expensive here in the UK just now (wonder why?) but there is a lot of fun to be had here. It's not that hard to visit Scotland or Wales or even Ireland. The coast near Cornwall is the Jurassic coast and you can find fossils along large stretches of beach. Oh and there are the standing stones! I loved visiting Avebury. We just happened to visit when a bunch of pagans were doing a huge ceremony there and it was totally awesome. We could get right up to the stones. The english are a strange people, I love the chalk images of horses on hillsides that they keep fresh from ancient times lol
        It is a pretty great place for an american (I have encountered some anti-american sentiment but mostly just curiosity and the chance for good laughs), the cultural shock isn't to bad and for me I felt I had more opportunities here then I did state side. It is hard to get a visa to live here tho sad Gotta be a student or have some family here or of course marriage tongue. The great bit is that its a pretty good home base to then get to visit europe, from spain to Amsterdam lol

I will check into those areas, I got really excited reading your reply.  I have looked into expartite programs for Americans.  I am proud to be an American and I realize that we are not the most liked, but I feel that it is our Government that is not appreciated, not us citizens, so it doesn't worry me to much...I agree, we can be a good laugh...lol

We do make a good target for jokes! I was telling this story which included me falling on my butt. This was a meet the family situation with the in-laws. To be polite and tactful I used to word fanny. I got laughed at soooo hard! I was totally bewildered. The told me (once they caught their breath) that in the UK the word fanny was not a word for bum but held a very different meaning. They could not figure out how I managed to fall on that particular part of my anatomy yikes

It seems that fanny is a slang word for female genitals. lol

lol

2. Flightkeeper profile image68
              Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good grief! I guess I won't bring my fannypack. But, what about all those girls they named Fanny? big_smile

2. frogdropping profile image77

lol I saw that Kirsten tongue

And Kirsten's right, Kent is beautiful. But not from the Eurostar line - you see all the cranky rubbish bits. Bristol is a good place to camp out. You can easily reach South Wales, the West coast - Weston-Super-Mare, inland areas like Bath (fabulous), Wilsthire and Stonehenge (even more fabulous) or wander down to Cornwall.

The UK is certainly a green and pleasant isle, with plenty of water sports, forests, lakes, totally surround by seas, beautifully quaint and whimsical villages (complete with 'straw roofs' - otherwise known as a thatched roof) and a million miles of meandering, winding, going-nowhere-in-particular pathways.

Edit - Wales. Try Cardiff, Swansea, Llandudno, Colwyn Bay.

tongue big_smile

6. Lynda Gary profile image60
    Lynda Garyposted 14 years ago

OMG -- I could've written your first paragraph!  Nearly identical to my situation (except that I have special need kids who will always be attached to my hem...)

We, too, are making the big move.  I've literally (virtualy)searched the world for the best place. We're heading to your region from Missouri (Misery).

When reading your description of your perfect place, I immediately thought of the Semester at Sea program.  Google it, and if you don't find it, let me know.  I'll make the effort.

I participated in Semester at Sea back in 1985.  You travel the world, literally, not virtually. There is NOTHING like it; to say it is amazing is an understatement.

At the time I did it, we had many "adult passengers" (non students) who were simply taking advantage of the opportunity to circumnavigate the globe affordably.  You spend approx. 100 days going to approx. 13 +/- countries, with shipboard education available (Which is great; you can learn about the cultural and language before you get there, etc.)

Just a thought.  As a writer, it can be a tax write off, and you can still work while you travel.  It may help to get the ramblin' out of your shoes and guide you to your ultimate destination.

Thank you LG, I will research that...great idea!  What part of CA are you relocating to?

7. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

Ms Caraval, try Bangkok, Pattaya or Boracay in the Philippines, they are nice places, tropical and lots of mountains and beaches, plus internet is provided anywhere now

In Europe, switzerland is best but the winter is bitter

France is beautiful specially the southern part, I have been to Lourdes, FRANCE and then you can also travel to SPAIN and ITALY from time to time if you choose southern France..

I thought about the Phillippines, but I just picture a bunch of misquitos...I do not know why, maybe a movie??? 

Switzerland is also on my list...do you know of a specific area to research?

France is beautiful and I have done a lot of research...I hear however, they hate Americans with abundance...not sure if I want to relocate there, definetly would visit and yes France does fall in the top 10 best places to live...I believe it is #1

Spain as well as Italy are on my list of considerations, just hard to muddle through all the towns and information, it is geared more to the vacationer rather than the relocator.

I have been told that if you make an attempt to learn the language that will earn you a lot of respect with the French. Oh and if you don't speak any french and are not being understood shouting does not suddenly make the french understand you lol
        Seems that they hate americans shouting in English when they are not understood, that is kinda a bit of a joke about dumb americans who think shouting helps some how.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
        prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

mosquitoes well, I was never bitten by mosquitoes there -- Philippines is cheap and the wetaher is very nice plus you will see the wonders of underground caves river, white beaches, water skking, diving etc, seafoods, and people are hospitable,

I went to Switzerland, try Zurich See --- Switzerland is mountainous, landscape is beautiful, lake here and there, but no beaches..but then it is also very near Venice another lovely city

well in France you need to learn their language, but it is a beautiful place, the southern part --- every strategic when you want to go around Europe by Eurotrain --

8. Flightkeeper profile image68
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I was thinking Seattle or Portland, OR would fit your bill. A combination of mountains and sea and they sometimes get snow, and there are tons of small towns.  And possibly Denver, although it'll have to be lakes and streams, not sea.

I lived in seattle, graduated from Ballard HS Go Beavers! lol
      Seattle is a great place to live in the summer, totally amazing!

1. Flightkeeper profile image68

Kirsten, I think Seattle is a great place when i took a visit two years ago.  You've got mountains, great scenery, the Pacific and small towns are nearby.

I really loved all the little islands in puget sound, the area is totally amazing! Where my mom is, half way between Port Angeles and Forks there are so many cool woods and Lake Crescent! Hot springs and the Hoe National Rain-forest. We went camping on this beach on the Rez. and there were wild horses on the beach when we were there.

Oh, that sounds nice right about now.  Wait, you left? Why?

I fell in love smile Awwww! tongue
              I am also a bit of a traveling soul. I have lived in Cali, upstate NY, Seattle and Missouri near the boarder with Arkansas and we may immigrate to NZ! There are amazing places in all the places I have lived so far big_smile

Oh, well falling in love, that explains it. tongue

2. profile image0

Note to self when having to move because of hubby talk to Kristen and see if she has lived there big_smile

ROFL lol

2. profile image0

that does sound really nice. i agree with Flightkeeper. let's go! big_smile

Love Oregon and Washington...west coast is the best for what I am looking for and are still considerations...

I have family in Pueblo, CO...and it is on my list of considerations, Colorado not the town of Pueblo.

9. Flightkeeper profile image68
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

If you wanted Europe, try Wales! I just did a hub for St. David's Day and I never knew Wales had so much to offer.

Didn't think of Wales...did you find a specific area that sounded like heaven that I can research?

Carvalho, if you look up rmcrayne's hub Go Medieval! Wales Castles, you'll see a ton of pictures of Wales, it's amazing.  The castles will have small towns around them, so you will find her hub to be very helpful and a good start.

Edit: frogdropping also mentioned several cities like Cardiff and Swansea.

McRaynes Hub Go Mideval?  I am writing all this down...the cities, towns etc...I am really curious about Wales...smile

10. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

I love my island but - the trains are dire and damned expensive. I can travel (by train) to London and back (from Lisbon) for about £190 return, when booking ahead. The last leg, which takes me from London up to Yorkshire and back? £150 neutral

If you fancy travelling by train and absorbing 'stuff', do it round Europe. Or buy an interrail card and you can chuff around the UK as well.

I'd certainly recommend you spend time in the UK, especially Yorkshire, Cumbria and the Southwest but - buy a cheap rail card first wink

When I lived on the San Juan Islands in WA...the ferry got expensive in the summer...up to $55.00 one way, when I found out I had Cancer, traveling to the mainland from the Islands just was not cost effective...if I could afford my own boat and a car on the mainland and the Island, plus a scooter...I would love to be back up there.  I loved the whales and dolphins migrating to Canada, the Eagles flying freely overhead, the fox, no fast food and only one stop ligtht...still very much a consideration.  The Pacific Northwest is beautiful...wink

11. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 14 years ago

Southern IL is not a bad place for the outdoors. There is the Shawnee National Forest which has lots of trails and some lakes. Several lakes with hp limits on boats for kayakers and canoes etc. There is also the Shawnee Wine Trail if you really need your wine. I wrote a hub on one of the vineyards.

Just make sure you're ready to leave the city life. It's easy to find yourself several hours from a major metropolitan are.

That sounds beautiful...thank you Wayne.  I actually am not a "Bright Lights City Girl", I am the complete opposite.

I love quiet, natures beauty, the sound of the wind, the sound of rain, the smell of fresh cut grass, the ocean....I am a simple girl and have not been to a "mall" for about 15 years...anxiety attack last time I went...wasn't enjoyable for anyone.

1. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
        Wayne Orvisburgposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome.

12. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

You described New Zealand pretty darn well.  I'm considering moving there myself.

I live in Portland, OR...  That could work, too.  Except there are NO jobs here.  sad

13. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

Well all you crazy people I gotta go eat and now realize that I am going to have to scan some pictures soon so I can do some travel hubs smile

1. profile image0

woohoo travel hubs! lol can't wait kristen

can't wait to read them kirstenblog...

14. profile image0

Great thanks Caravalhophoto! Now I feel like traveling somewhere lol you gave me the travel bug lol

since you know I'm looking please let me know where you go and what you think...I'm going to take my time this time around, however...life is short and my dreams are long, life is worth traveling outside the backyard...

15. megs78 profile image61
    megs78posted 14 years ago

I would say British Colombia, Canada by your description.  They have everything.  Problem is, its a little on the pricey side.  The maritime provinces are also beautiful and much cheaper, and the people are wonderful.  I live in Quebec, and whats great about here is that we have it all. Cities, countryside, lakes, mountains, valleys, wine, amazing people, history, beauty, the ocean, and a low cost of living to boot.  If you've never been here, you should definitely visit.  Its a good place to live.

megs78...I will check it out...I've only been to Vancouver by ferry from WA and absolutely loved it...the diversity of the people was very appealing to me...I hear it is one of the most beautiful and eco friendly places to live...please don't find me stupid, but isn't Quebec a major city?  Are there smaller towns around the city you would recommend?

1. megs78 profile image61
        megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why would I find that question stupid?  No worries, I'm not one to judge, I haven't travelled much and don't know my geography very well either. smile

Quebec is a province in Canada, but you're right, the capital of Quebec is Quebec City.  But its not a large city.  Maybe 700,000 people.  But its a beautiful city and rich in history.  I live outside of Quebec city about 25 mins away.  But you would never know that you lived close to a city.  I have the best of both worlds here...actually 3 worlds to be exact.  I have the city 25 mins in one direction, my chalet 25 mins in the other, and we live in a small town (about 10.000) people.  We really love it.  There are tons of small towns outside of the cities and they are beautiful and a great place to live.  You should def check it out, besides the winters, which are fun if you like snow, there is not much negative to say about it.

I definetly prefer the population of 10,000 over 700,000.  The town I live in has a population of about 36,000 and I find myself lost..., I lived in a town of 7,000 and grew to over 30,000 in 5 years...it wasn't personal or quaint anymore...it was just change, didn't appreciate it and wasn't prepared for it...that is the kind of town or area I want...personal and friendly.

16. profile image0

Just thought of something..it doesn't have kayaking but it does have a small community and it is in the mountains in nature. u could always drive down the mountain to the ocean for a little kayaking Maybe look into Idyllwild, CA. just a suggestion...have been going there since I was really little. smile

Is that up towards Jackson and Ione?

1. profile image0

umm...not sure about those places but I do know that Idyllwild is in the San Jancinto Mountains. It's a lot more south from where you live...if you have heard of Julian it's close to there..

I've been to Julian...Best Apple Pie ever...that is really South of me...Julian is beautiful, will research...thanks

17. Lita C. Malicdem profile image60
    Lita C. Malicdemposted 14 years ago

Welcome to the Philippines. Many Filipino hubbers offer great sites here like Baguio City, Cebu City, Boracay Island for its beaches, etc. There's an easy read about these beautiful places around here at HubPages.

I am going to check out the area...prettydarkhourse recommended it also and will research the towns you have listed...Thank you Lita

18. heart4theword profile image60
    heart4thewordposted 14 years ago

Some of what your describing I hear sounds similar to Argentina!  Know some people who have lived there, and love it.  Their legs too, are in good shape from all the hiking they do there.  I guess too it is not, to touristy!

I never thought of Argentina...do you know what area they live in???  Will look it up..thank you heart4theword...wink

19. heart4theword profile image60
    heart4thewordposted 13 years ago

I'm sorry I don't remember, I heard it probably a dozen times?  I just know there were lots of beautiful mountains, and trails to climb.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)