What if YOU were buried alive?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

There's this new film that I really want to see called "Buried."  It's basically about a U.S. Contractor working in Iraq, who gets kidnapped by Iraqis and finds himself buried alive.  Now from what I heard, the entire film takes place within the coffin the whole time.  I know weird, huh?  Most people would ask how the hell do you make a movie about a guy stuck in a damn coffin throughout the whole film, but it's supposed to be pretty good...according to most critics at least.  In the film, the main hero only has a lighter and a cell phone. (yes the cell phone actually works and has bars down there, inside the coffin)

What i would like to ask you guys is this...what if it was you?  Pretend you got kidnapped and buried alive somewhere that you don't know where you are, and all you have is a lighter and a cell phone.  Yes, your cell phone works down there, as you can call anyone you like.  Therefore what would you do?  Who would you call?

2. profile image0

bumpeth!

3. profile image0

i guess nobody has something to add....

4. alternate poet profile image66
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

This too hard - everything would revolve around things happening outside - so inside the coffin you are left to your own thoughts.  I see technical issues with this, if your phone is working anyone can get a fix on you so . . . .

As a description of the Iraq siuation overall it is an apt metaphor, stuck in a situation that only others can get you out of - but nobody is coming as you should not have been in that place and situation in the first place.

If I was stuck in a coffin like that I guess I would consider that I will get our or not and so anyway write a novel in my head so as not to waste the time.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I agree with you about not being there in the first place, as I don't think it's worth going to Iraq or Afghanistan these days for any amount of money; especially considering the risks involved. 

Although it sounds like you'd be a lot more calm in that situation than I would, as I would probably try to not only call every fathomable number I could think of, I would also try to break a hole into the coffin in attempt to dig myself out.  Granted, that probably wouldn't work.  But hey, if I'm going to die anyway, I'd rather go out swinging.

5. profile image0

bumpeth!

6. DevLin profile image60
    DevLinposted 13 years ago

Never happen. I'm claustrophobic. I'll be dead going into that box. I'd make sure of that.

7. Ruben Rivera profile image61
    Ruben Riveraposted 13 years ago

I think I'd be waiting for everything just to end, I hate enclosed tight spaces.

8. Haunty profile image74
    Hauntyposted 13 years ago

The guy will have plenty of time to reflect on his life, so I suspect we'll see memories from his past and stuff. I doubt we're going to see the inside of the coffin throughout the whole film.

1. profile image0

i don't know.  a lot of film critics say the movie DOES take place in the coffin throughout the entire movie, so i doubt they'd lie to us.  big_smile  However, what would YOU do if that happened to you though?

9. CMHypno profile image84
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Wouldn't you just die from lack of oxygen pretty quickly?

1. profile image0

not necessarily in this movie, as the way most critics describe it, the coffin is very big.  so big that it allows for ryan reynolds to move around quite a bit despite the fact that he's buried alive in a coffin.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
        kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is going to have to be one big coffin not to suffocate, I mean real big! We go through a lot of oxygen in a day. With nothing to filter out carbon monixide that he breaths out he is going to get sick and die in short order, no matter the coffin being big enough to pirouette in. Which I doubt for some reason hmm

10. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I saw this post and I actually thought of the finale for Misfits, a group of ASBO teens doing community service get caught up in a weird storm that leaves them all with super powers. The finale sees the prick of the group (who has not found his super powers yet) falling off a roof and being impaled. No surviving that one. He has a funeral, gets buried and then wakes up! Buried and realises his super power is that he is immortal but buried alive! In his shoes, I would start working the sides of the coffin walls loose, to try to get out sideways and then up. I think it might be possible if you can get the earth to loosen up making it easier to dig out of.

The guy your talking about is screwed tho, not going to be enough oxygen in that little box to keep him going for very long at all. I guess you try to call for rescue then try not to breath too much otherwise you will suffocate before you get rescued.

11. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

By the way, in my flat in the winter time I have noticed headaches and groogyness that is related to carbon monixide poisning and am very careful to open windows when I can. This is in a flat with a living room, bedroom, kitchen, and its not sealed up air tight. In a coffin its going to happen a lot faster then that, even a big coffin. Not like they make ones the size of my flat! Well the Pharaoh might have been able to last a while in his tomb, what with it being bigger then the whole building I live in!

12. BobbiRant profile image61
    BobbiRantposted 13 years ago

This is the reason people are embalmed in our modern times.  As recent as Edgar Allen Poe's time, people were often buried alive.  He would have spells and at times would appear dead, so it was one of his biggest fears.  Some of his more eerie writings reflect his fear of being buried alive. Interesting question though.

1. CMHypno profile image84
      CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In some parts of Europe they used to put bells next to graves with a cord going into the coffin, so that if the occupant woke up they could ring the bell and get dug up.  Mind you, I wouldn't mind betting that if a bell did ring, anyone in the graveyard would just leg it in terror.

I would say it was another good argument for being an organ donor - your are definitely dead after they have removed all of your internal organs!

13. camlo profile image86
    camloposted 13 years ago

Well, I wouldn't use my lighter, because the fire has to be fed with oxygen, which would be better spent on me. Besides, the cell phone produces light, which I would certainly use to get help. I'm surprised the kidnappers would have left me with my phone, which I believe can be located, which could save my life.
    Until help arrives, I would simply remain very still and calm - which would use up a little less air than if I were to panic - and meditate (not sure I'd really be that cool ... smile )

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)