Evolution is Malarkey

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (133 posts)
  1. Fenixfan profile image76
    Fenixfanposted 13 years ago

I understand we have free will.  That's great. But is believing in an Almighty creator any harder than believing animals morphed into humans? I myself have never seen any animal morph over time. Nobody has. If they say they have then they are lying. And for all you science nuts, remember every action has an equal and opposite reaction. If there was a big bang, some action had to set it into force, meaning some other action had to set that action into force to set the big bang into force. Get it? You can't just stop at one point.

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Better yet- Do you even understand "free will"? I figured I would ask. It is easier to understand that than Evolution, which you're claiming to be "malarkey".
      This depends on how you formed the belief to begin with. If you formed the belief from some religious philosophy or teachings, then you've been misinformed. Thus, your belief would be based on a lie and would be living a lie. Thus, also showing others you don't understand your own life, much less anything else.
      This statement shows your lack of understanding evolutions steps.
      And what would you do if the POPE announce religion was a hoax...?
      Actually, learn correctly- cause and effect. Every cause creates an effect.
      This statement again shows your lack of knowledge on the topic you are attempting to tackle.

However, the big bang theory has been explained in detail. You fail to realize how it works because of your bias on some belief of an almighty as you claim.

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
        Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"This depends on how you formed the belief to begin with. If you formed the belief from some religious philosophy or teachings, then you've been misinformed."

Prove evolution please.

Some greater minds than most of ours have been unable to do so, but you seem to have the answer.

You're looking for proof of evolution? You're funny. Even if I gave it to you, would you be willing to accept it? But, to give you proof- human consciousness is proof of evolution. It came on because of an evolutionary expansion of the mind.
          Greater minds? Which ones- the religious influenced? the politically influenced?

Which "greater" minds doesn't have agenda? I've yet to see one that solely wanted to get to truth. Those who want truth, are denied access. So please...

"You're looking for proof of evolution? You're funny. Even if I gave it to you, would you be willing to accept it? But, to give you proof- human consciousness is proof of evolution. It came on because of an evolutionary expansion of the mind."

Whats funny about it?

You can't give proof of evolution, none exists.

"Greater minds? Which ones- the religious influenced? the politically influenced?

"Which "greater" minds doesn't have agenda? I've yet to see one that solely wanted to get to truth. Those who want truth, are denied access. So please..."

Those trying to prove evolution haven't done so.

Their agenda is to prove evolution.

Follow along.

And you failed to understand. WOW! I'm not surprised. roll

No I don't understand what you are saying.

I'm not even sure you understand what you are saying.

Thanks for proving evolution hasn't reached its full stride.

Again, you like to post just to read your own words.

Evolution is proven by the existence of human consciousness. It was brought on by an eventual evolutionary step...that step was the expansion of our brain- the mindspace used to create thoughts. The expansion of the mind is living proof in each human being who has human consciousness.

No its not.

Just a bunch of words thrown together to prove you can type.

2. Druid Dude profile image60
                    Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

DEFINE consciousness, and where in all that is do you get your data? Willy Wonka?

2. frogdropping profile image77
              frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And no one has yet come up with proof related to God or Gods. Yet millions believe.

Or did I miss something.

No you are not wrong.

I never said he did exist.

I don't know if he exists.

I just have faith that he does.

3. Pcunix profile image92
              Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Every one of us is proof of evolution.

No its not.

Evolution has not been proven.

1. Druid Dude profile image60

The appendix proves it.

2. Pcunix profile image92
                  Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We, like many other living things, are found at some points in the fossil record but not before. You certainly don't think we and they popped out of thin air, do you?

What alternative would you offer?

We (and many other living things) prove evolution.

1. Jerami profile image58
                    Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Once an acorn falls upon the dirt;  It begins an evolutionary process!

The Evolution depate should have died a long time ago.

It happens every day.
                       It is all around us and always have been.

But the seed came from someplace?

2. Jim Hunter profile image60

"What alternative would you offer?"

I wouldn't offer anymore than what I know.

All I know is that evolution has not been proven.

I make no argument for the existence of God.

Our mere presence does not prove anything other than we are here..

2. frogdropping profile image77
                frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Now you are intelligent enough to be able to anticipate a reply to that one surely?

I'm happy for you smile

Therefore why all the battles re evolution/creation? There is no proof of God, there is no proof of evolution.

Stalemate.

This is not directed at you Jim - I mean the whole debate of epic proportions that surround the opposing ideals.

2. qwark profile image61
          qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Jim...not true at all!
          Micro evolution has been proved beyond doubt in the research of micro life forms which mutate very rapidly to adjust to changing environmenrts. Environment controls evolution.
          Macro evolution involves more complex life and takes a very long time to prove i.e. hundreds of thousands even millions of years for noticeable changes to appear.
          If we exist long enuf, macro evolution will be proved.
          Qwark

2. Jerami profile image58

And yet you believe that the vibrations of a big band only traveles in a single direction.   If you do not hear it??...

It didn't make any sound.

Jerami, I am not spouting out my beliefs. I hold no belief in the big bang theory. I hold no belief in creationism either.

The Big Bang theory has been explained. I didn't say I understood or held a belief in it. It's part of all knowable knowledge.

Creationism is a imaginary concept with less credibility than anything else known to humankind.

Please try not to jump into a conversation, and make more out of than there is. All you do is waste everyone's time.

Gee... Cagsill, I swear you're evolving!smile

2. Druid Dude profile image60

Like...the BEACH BOYS "Gotta keep those lovin' good vibrations..." Everything evolves. Bird species in the Galapagos (Darwin's old playground) have evolved in as little as 100 yrs. Evolution in man is evidenced by the presence of canines and a vestigial tail. Unless, of course, you take into account God's grand sense of humor...

I was just point out that when Ya throw a rock into a pond, the waves go out in every direction.
              The wave that rocks your boat isn't the only part of that wave.

Just because it went in a direction that you didn't see doesn't mean that it didn't have a cause and effect that you do not understand..
                Ya know?

3. qwark profile image61

2 thumbs up Cags!! 
        That was a short but Excellent reply.  smile:
        Qwark

2. IntimatEvolution profile image67
      IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is your name Brenda?

Read.

It might do you some good.

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, Fenixfan is not me.  I don't have duplicate accounts.  And I'm a middle-aged woman, while Fenixfan is obviously a man, with some common sense to boot!   So next time please refrain from using your dislike for my opinions to shut down his, okay?
        All your post succeeded in doing was to make me an addition to Fenixfan's fan club!

1. IntimatEvolution profile image67

Then you should go back and read as well.  Some factual information might do you some good.hmm

1. profile image0
            Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmm.
            What might do you some good is if you'd lose the condescending attitude.  But whatever! lol

3. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Believing in anything without understanding it is very dangerous and only leads to delusion and conflict.

Then, all microbiologists are lying. Or, most likely, there is another answer.

These would be the same "nuts" who have provided every single modern convenience that you enjoy today, including your computer and internet connection?

Those concepts are understood by scientists, they're just not understood by believers who make disparaging and ignorant remarks about them. smile

4. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

have been reading lately that the big bang is a crock proposed by creationists, and some "scientists" decided it was correct and set out to prove it, but were unable to.  Just like I think humans causing global warming is a crock

5. Trish_M profile image79
      Trish_Mposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The 'big bang theory' was originally suggested by a Roman Catholic priest.

6. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree; there is a Creator-God who set the big bang into motion; otherwise there would be no big bang , no life.

7. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Evolution was set forth by the Creator-God with the word "to be" and will continue till He commands it "not to be."

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good answer.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

If anyone can do evolution, God can.

Is there anyone here (who believes in God) that says He can’t?smile

Building something, anything worthwhile, is an evolutionary process.

2. profile image0

the interesting thing is that evolution doesn't exclude the existence of a god.

1. IntimatEvolution profile image67

Precisely!!!

To refute evolution in my opinion is just pure Evangelical Christian ignorance.  However, understanding science and recognizing the truth behind evolution, doesn't discredit God.  If anything, it proves that something greater than us, really does exist.  But Creationist with their Adam and Eve malarkey, well...... what's there to say? I mean, when faced with that kind of uneducated mindset and logic, I personally am left speechless.

I don't get it.

3. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 13 years ago

Didn't amphibians evolve from sea creatures?  Didn't some of those land/water animals evolve from just being water animals?  There is evolution but it takes thousands of years.  We used to use an appendix but don't anymore.  Eventually, if the race has enough time, we may not have an appendix.  Right now, we only live long enough to mate and perfect the species, but not long enough to physically evolve to any great degree.  What say you, masters of discourse?

Couture... Above I mentioned bird species changing in just a few generations. Sometimes the need for change is rather immediate, and the response equally so.

4. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Cagsil wrote...
      Jerami, I am not spouting out my beliefs. I hold no belief in the big bang theory. I hold no belief in creationism either.
    - - - - -

Really  ??
    ================================
    The Big Bang theory has been explained. I didn't say I understood or held a belief in it. It's part of all knowable knowledge.  Creationism is a imaginary concept with less credibility than anything else known to humankind.
    - - - - - - -

We only believe that we know those things that we think that we know;    Ya know??
    ==============================================

Please try not to jump into a conversation, and make more out of than there is. All you do is waste everyone's time.

- - - - -

Well if you, as you said?  hold no beliefs then why do you waste everyone's time as well ????

Don't tell Cag...but everyone believes something. If they truly believe nothing, then their opinions mean less. I do feel that Cags has something to contribute, and that his opinions, as others, do have value. Sorry to say he is not as "gullible" as I.

2. Cagsil profile image71

For you to ask that question, to me, and I've been here for 1 year? Is really sad and not worthy of an answer to be honest.

WOW! roll

I'm wanting for you to look into the mirror.

You tend to treat others in a manner that you yourself find distasteful. 
           But that is just my perception. 
           And everyone knows about perceptions ??? 

You got yours and I got mine.

Looking in the mirror will only show me me.
          This may be how you live, but not me.

Yes, everyone has a perception. It's the knowledge and wisdom(or lack thereof) that distorts the perception of many.

Many use knowledge gained, wrongly because they truly don't understand.

Many use wisdom gained, wrongly because they fail to realize that what they consider wisdom isn't actually true wisdom, but a false belief.

Too many misconceptions of too many things have the world on the verge of destroying itself. Too many perceptions are skewed to as what is truth.

Try to stop and think about that- considering more of the population has some belief or another in a god of all things...and people wonder why the world is screwed up.

i don't think that the world is screwed up!

It is only our desires that is screwed up. As to how we would want the world to behave after we attempt to cause it to surrender to our will.

How disappointed that we must be. 
              We must not be half the GOD that we thought that we were.

Relax...our power to destroy the world has not yet been compromised.

That is good to know ???????/
                Maybe !!!!!!

5. laughing loon profile image59
    laughing loonposted 13 years ago

Isn't an appendix or a tail bone or wisdom teeth proof that we have changed or evolved?  The failure to produce proof of God is why most religions involve faith or as copied from wikipedia
    "Faith is the confident belief or trust in the truth or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing. The word faith can refer to a religion itself or to religion in general."

Further, it also applies to adherence to scientific theories, unless one posesses the mathematical capabilities necessary to prove it, mathematically to oneself, otherwise you rely on scientists and theorists who have you in the same position as the Popes, priests, and inquisitors have their "followers" in. Above all, knowledge is power, and lastly, faith or belief in one does not necessarily preclude faith or belief in the other, (as in a God figure) Religionists who believe that evolution somehow threatens God are imprisoned by interpretations decided upon when the church was in a state of immaturity. In the bible, we go from a state in the garden of naked hunter gatherers, to agriculturalists wearing clothes. Progress is evolution. Evolution is progress.

6. Fenixfan profile image76
    Fenixfanposted 13 years ago

Wow. I posted this thread and left it up to discussion to see the views of others. I just now checked it and have found exactly what I was looking for. I guess I should explain my means of posting this in the first place. #1 No I have never been provided with evidence of evolution. #2 No, Evolutionists have never been provided with proof of a God. Why? Because we both believe in different things. The human mind adopts a stubborn way of thinking. This is why we have different cultures. We are all brought up a certain way or start thinking certain ways because of things we encounter through our lifetime. Yes Scientists "suggest" that over millions of years things evolved. But this is unprovable because nobody can live that long to perform a test. My biggest debate with evo is why on earth did it take so long for us to get to this point if the earth is millions of years old. Are we stupid enough to think that people took that long to develop common sense. After all, has science not proven to us that inbreeding cause lack of intelligence. How did people from several thousands of years ago not tackle the obstacle of airflight or space travel? This is all up to opinion. Please everyone remember that. We all know the saying for opinions.

I will explain why I believe in the Lord. I see a being that shows unconditional amounts of love for people who do not deserve it. None of us deserve half of the love we get. I respect any being that could have given such a sacrifice as the Bible says that God gave for us.

Now for my reason of posting. I learn from everything that everyone writes. If they write something entirely stupid, I know that they have done no research. Believing in Evolution is no different than believing on a God. They are both unprovable because of lack or extensive testing. If we could live for a million years I'm sure one would be proven without a doubt. We can say that we have beauty around us that proves God's existence, or that Jellyfish that form from polyps prove Evolution could be real, but neither are more believable than the other. It is all free will. And that is the beauty of the world. I'm surprised to see a particular hubber take part in my forum thread (PCUNIX) not to discredit any others. I just like this guy's work. He writes very good stuff and just look at that profile pic. Nice and original. Also a shout out to Jerami. I like you observation on the acorn theory. That I guess could show some form of evolution, but then again it is a seed, so where did it come from. Which came first, the chicken or egg, haha. We have to ask why do things stop at certain points. How come this tree just keeps producing acorns to form other trees. Why doesn't it evolve into a flower over time? It's just interesting to see other's views. That is why we have debates, Presidents, competing business. It makes the world go round. I thank all of you for sharing.

1. profile image0

You post indicates you know nothing much about evolution.  It is possible to see evolution of species in a short time ie using living things with short life-times & selective breeding

How do you explain away fossils, human tails (over 100 documented cases), extra limbs on whales, genetic evidence showing how all life is related?

1. Fenixfan profile image76
        Fenixfanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How does an extra limb on a whale make it anything other than a whale? If the case that a whale can have an extra limb why is there not millions of two headed human beings? It's mere deformation. It doesn't prove evolution in any form. Does that whale go on to produce a different offspring? It goes on to produce another whale.

1. profile image0

An deformity consisting of leg bones?  (BTW, a whale and hippo are genetically very similar).

Not just a one-off, but many whales and dolphins (both are mammals).

what about multiple nipples in humans that can produce milk? 

people that have long hair ("were-wolf" syndrome)?

How would you say these "mere deformities" happen?

These are throw-backs - when an ancient gene is expressed. 

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/section2.html

As for 2-headed people, turtles, snakes etc - they arise when an identical twin doesn't split fully

7. wormdo profile image59
    wormdoposted 13 years ago

If you believe that some action had to set the big bang into course, then you have to believe that some action had to create your "god". You cannot have it both ways.

Nobody has seen an animal morph over time because evolution takes billions of years. I might also point out that nobody has seen your "god" create humans either. Oh right, except a bunch of guys none of us have ever met who wrote a book which has a ton of inconsistencies.

1. profile image0

See, I think you're wrong. I don't see it as both ways. If one believes in God, it would be assumed that He existed prior to the Big Bang.

Evolution has run a pretty impressive course in a much shorter time frame than billions of years.

I think some of the problems people might have with evolution is that we have been able to document adaptation, so we therefor assume it to be evidence in support of evolution. I think this to be a reasonable assumption but have no problem following the argument presented against it. I simply don't agree with the argument against it.

Fossils prove evolution to some. Imply it to others. Raise more questions to a few. A difference of opinion that will be resolved with more evidence.

As to God creating humans, you are right. There is no physical evidence to support this belief; which is why it is called belief. Again, a difference of opinion that cannot be proven our disproven.

1. Beelzedad profile image59

That's why it is a logical fallacy. No evidence, whatsoever, just belief.

Yet, mountains of evidence exist in every facet of science to support evolution.

But, the belief is strong and facts get tossed. smile

1. profile image0

Oh good. I'm glad you're here. I was hoping someone would explain this to me.

Yes tons of evidence in support of evolution,  but no proof positive yet. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but we haven't seen a crocodile whelp a puppy have we? Or anything to that effect?

I'm not arguing anything other than that it is not entirely unreasonable for someone to have room for doubt with little more than clear evidence that adaptation produces slight variations of form within a species.

1. simeonvisser profile image68
            simeonvisserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The theory of evolution does not claim that would happen and such comments reflect a grave misunderstanding of how evolution works.

1. profile image0

Perhaps you could enlighten me as to the concrete evidence that I have missed. Every article I have read claiming proof has pointed to little more than adaptation.

1. simeonvisser profile image68

An animal gives birth to a very similar animal but a tiger will not give birth to a cat. It's only that very small changes accumulate over generations. At some point, a group of animals will no longer be able to breed with another group of animals which, by definition, means we have a new species. Biologically these are different species which is what evolution claims. Things don't happen very quickly but new species do come and go.

1. profile image0

I am aware of this. I was taking liberties I know, but the point is although we have named new subspecies, we have not seen any evidence that adaptation, or mutation can change an animal to such a great degree that it could be classified as a new species. Mutations wash out. They are not passed from generation to generation, the last I heard. Adaptation is simply that. Survival of the fittest.

I don't disagree with evolution, I can simply see the flip side of the argument.

1. skyfire profile image78
                    skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Speciation(which you're pointing out) is not seen immediately and it takes hundreds of years even to see a small change. Take appendice which is found in humans for example, there are chances of it being totally vanish in next 50-100 years or so. Are you going to deny that it was never part of humans in past then ?

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrar … opic_id=46

2. simeonvisser profile image68

If you keep changing something often and long enough, why would it still remain within the same species? Why does, as you claim, evolution or adaption only happen "within a box" (within one species)?

If I take a bike and I add (through mutations) two wheels, it's going to resemble a car. If I add two more wheels, we're approaching a truck. By now the truck and the bike are two completely different 'species'. This analogy goes wrong in many many ways and I am aware of that. I'm just showing that you cannot keep changing something and still expect it to be the same species or just a subspecies.

Now you are claiming something much more difficult. What biological mechanism prevents mutations from staying within the same genetic material? Why can changes only do limited modifications? Evolution simply says: genetic material gets mutated from time to time and there's no mechanism to "get the DNA back to the original species". Changes just occur and species change.

2. Beelzedad profile image59

Unfortunately, it would take a long time and a whole lot of writing and explaining on my part to give you some idea of what evolution is all about. You could save me the trouble by just doing your homework and finding out for yourself, like the rest of us did. In that way, you'll begin to understand how utterly ridiculous a statement you made regarding crocodiles and puppies.

smile

1. profile image0

As I told simeon visor,  I was taking liberties. But do not assume that since you cannot answer this question that a flip response wins a point. As I said, I have no problem with this. It is your problem for not having the ability to allow those who can't some leeway. not everyone has a strong a faith as you do.

Yes, it is obviously my problem that some are too lazy to do their homework to gain an understanding of the world around them. roll

1. profile image0

No, I believe there is a different problem. I think it involves pretending we have concrete answers when we don't. Or maybe your definition of concrete is different from mine. Mine means ' case closed time to move on to another question'. Do you believe the search has reached that point yet?

Back it up a moment. The first thing to do is for you to actually go and read those answers before making comments here. How can you respond about anything regarding evolution is you don't even know what you're talking about? smile

8. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

Now I know where I first heard the word Malarkey around here!  Thanks Fenixfan; it has become a favorite of mine.

Evolution smevolution...
    Why do people insist on searching for ways to create life instead of Loving the Creator of life?.......

1. aka-dj profile image63
      aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We need a "like" button like on FB!

I LIKE! big_smile

2. skyfire profile image78
      skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Evolution is not about creating life, that's abiogenesis. Obviously understanding this difference requires education, not church or homeschooling session. The day you'll learn not to spit venom on anyone more intelligent than you, will decide how you wish to learn this difference.

9. spookyfox profile image59
    spookyfoxposted 13 years ago

Have you ever seen a baby grow?

No, you simply see a baby being a baby at one time, and a few days/weeks/months/years after you see what you consider the same person, bigger, and you infer that the baby has grown. At no point you actually can percieve the growth with your senses, can you? You simply see the stages and draw a line to connect them, intuitivily knowing that babies grow before-hand.

Now imagine the process to be much, much longer than your life-span and the stages much more blurred out and further appart. All proof you could have is old records from the stage of the baby long ago, and the present stage, and you'd need to use your brain to draw that line which reaches out far more than our intuition tells us.

Limiting proof to what you can experience is no argument agains evolution.

10. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Going on record here as being a Christian who also believes in evolution..

http://images.cafepress.com/jitcrunch.aspx?bG9hZD1ibGFuayxibGFuazo1MF9GX28xLmpwZ3xsb2FkPUwwLGh0dHA6Ly9pbWFnZXM4LmNhZmVwcmVzcy5jb20vaW1hZ2UvMjA5NTE2ODhfNDAweDQwMC5qcGd8fHNjYWxlPUwwLDM3MywxODAsV2hpdGV8Y29tcG9zZT1ibGFuayxMMCxBZGQsNTQsMTUxfGxvYWQ9bWFzayxibGFuazo1MF9GX21hc2tfbzEuanBnfGNvbXBvc2U9YmxhbmssbWFzayxNYXNrLDAsMHxjcD1yZXN1bHQsYmxhbmt8c2NhbGU9cmVzdWx0LDAsNDgwLFdoaXRlfGNvbXByZXNzaW9uPTk1fA==

1. profile image0

Me too. Apparently a Christian who believes in evolution is a difficult concept to absorb.

Best start to "absorb" then, so you get some understanding of what it is you believe. lol

2. wormdo profile image59
      wormdoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As an atheist, may I say that is a neat picture! big_smile

11. L. Ray Haynes profile image70
    L. Ray Haynesposted 13 years ago

"Truth is stranger than fiction"  >what I intend by this is that while we have some of the pieces of the puzzle, we still don't see the whole picture.  I suspect that as we learn more and continue our quest for truth, knowledge, and wisdom we will discover that neither side in this debate is entirely correct nor wholly wrong.  "For now we see as though through a mirror darkly.  We see in part and know in part now, but then we shall know in full, even as we are fully known."  -i think this can be attributed to the apostle Paul, but I find it to be maybe the most enigmatic scripture in the new testament.  Make no mistake, I do not subscribe to dogmatic Christian theology, rather, I present this as gnostic food for thought to all, a little philosophical morsel to chew on, if you will. In other words, think about it, ponder, and draw your own conclusions regarding the implications in such a statement. Quibble and bicker all you like, it serves to prove only one thing:  Humans are an ignorant and contentious lot(which if this is the case pretty much disproves that there is such a thing as progress resulting from evolution as well as anything resembling 'truth' upon which we can all agree whether it be scientific or religious. I personally am trying to move beyond the fallacious schism of fundamental materialistic science and fundamental religious dogma towards something maybe best described as an archetypal cosmology.

1. qwark profile image61

Ray:
      Please explain this as it refers to your comment.
      "..archetypal cosmology.'
      Qwark

12. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

So how come things like Crocodiles do not seem to and have not evolved for millions of years?

1. qwark profile image61

That's an easy one to answer.
      Environment controls evolution.
      Crocs are complex animals. Evolution is a tediously slow tortuous movement in complex animals.
      They are perfectly suited for the world they exist in and on.
      As changes in their environment occur that effect their existence, believe me they will adapt and evolve to meet those changes so as to survive as they have done successfully from before the dinosaurs to today.
      Evolution does not stop. As long as there is life, it will exist.
      We humans are new arrivals. We are presently, profoundly evolved in the processes of adaptation.
      As our environment changes and we adapt, that is evolution in full blossom.
      There MAY come a time in our existence when we will be able to control the environment thus controlling our evolution.
      In fact, if we continue to exist, we may create a new species of human being which will be a result of man's continuing evolution.
      Qwark

13. profile image0
    Neville Walkposted 13 years ago

Obviously, someone who expects to see one species change into another before their eyes, does not understand the process of evolution or the time involved.  And the reason for this, is because they choose not to understand it.  The religious demand proof of evolution before they are willing to believe it.  Yet, if all the many pieces of palaeoanthropological evidence, which litter museums and university departments around the world are not evidence enough, then nothing will be.  Yet, the same people, who when confronted with a line of skulls, displaying the stages of their evolution, declare "no, this is not evidence" are the same people who believe the bible to be the word of God.  And how do they know it is the word of God?  Because it says so in the bible, and the bible is the word of God, so it must be true.  No amount of evidence will ever be enough to get past such a circular argument.  And really, there is little point in trying.

I fully understand a person not wanting to believe in the very real evidence of evolution, because, man likes to see himself as the centre of the universe and of divine creation, in order to feel important, and to give meaning to his life.  Yet, the refusal to even look at or acknowledge this evidence only displays their ignorance.  However, it seems such ignorance is worn as a badge of honour among the religious-minded.

14. knolyourself profile image60

If conditions on the planet do not change, but remain stable over millions of years, would not evolution out of the environment be suicide?

15. knolyourself profile image60

Quark thanks for the reply.
    "Crocs are complex animals. Evolution is a tediously slow tortuous movement in complex animals...They are perfectly suited for the world they exist in and on...We humans are new arrivals. We are presently, profoundly evolved in the processes of adaptation." If we are new arrivals and are even more complex animals than Crocks, why do we evolve at light-speed faster than Crocks?

1. qwark profile image61

knoly:
      That's an easy one too. Thanks for asking.
      It all has to do with the "brain."
      Crocks have a "simple" brain, much like those of the dinosaur. Although it has been found that they do have an ability to "plan and stalk," but this is just leaned behavior passed down from one generation to the next. The processes of evolution will program their genes so that their progeny will benefit.
      The croc has adapted to it's environment successfully and change is not necessary. If their environment changes and jeopardizes their survival, believe me they will adapt over time and who knows what the results might be?
      Now, "man" is gifted with 2 massive frontal lobes which enable him to "learn" and adapt much more rapidly. His body has "changed" as is observed by the vestigial remains of past forms of life. But the brain has developed very rapidly over the past couple million yrs, faster than any other mammal, because of "competition."
      Qwark

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)