Traveled 94 countries, anyone want a tip.

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Castlepaloma profile image75
    Castlepalomaposted 13 years ago

Not traveled Antarctica, Centro Africa and southern parts of Africa. Travel still often, not up to date on half of the places. Maybe I'm able to give you a rough guidelines where you are going.

1. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...tell me your thoughts about Ecuador.
      I may retire there.
      Haven't made the trip there yet.

Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

After being robbed 3 times in Columbia, I got stuck for 5 weeks wiring and waiting for money in Quito Ecuador. I ran for a bus over 3 blocks and almost pass out from the thin air, because it’s the second highest city in the world. 

The people are a lot more peaceful than in Columbia. The Mountain range and sea are really beautiful. Had a girlfriend from there, her father show me their farm? His employee were given a peace of land to live on and only got paid $1 a day for 6 days a week.

From Ecuador Tourism system is a well developed business which avails travel packages to Galapagos Islands and Ecuador. Along its mountainous areas, features rain forest vegetation of the region.  Coupled with the multicultural population. Galapagos has the friendliest and varies concentrate varies of animals on the planet, just watch out for the Komodo dragon.

It was voted in the top ten Countries in the world to retire, a wonderful choice.

1. qwark profile image59
          qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Castle:
          I have to make a trip to Ecuador next year.  :-)

2. carrentalinfo profile image61
          carrentalinfoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interesting, i have totally different wexperience with Colombia, felt 150 % safe everywhere , even in Bogota at 2 am,  or cartagena, Armenia,Pasto, Santa Marta.etc. Haven't been to Ecuador, but other travellers had bad experience - bus robberies supposed to be very common.

2. thirdmillenium profile image62
      thirdmilleniumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you a Bird? An Airplane? The Superman?

Just high energy

2. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

Welcome to HubPages!  Travel tips make great hubs! Why not write a hub about some of your favorite places?  Many of us would enjoy reading about your adventures and all of insider tips from someone who has been there.

KCC

A teenage girl wanted to hear my entire life story once.
      When I finished telling her my story, she said that my life sound like Forrest Gump. So my travel adventure will be a challenge to design it to make more sense. Give me some time on that one.

One thing can be said, there is no other experience that has come close, to opening up the mind.

3. salt profile image60
    saltposted 13 years ago

depends, what sort of tips do you wish to share? I could share tips on how to avoid being eaten by a crocodile in the northern territory!
    First, dont swim where there are signs saying crocodiles, do not swim here.

Second, check with locals or experienced tour guide staff who know the particular area.

Thirdly, if you think it might be a risky place to swim, dont!

It’s wise to talk with the locals where ever you go and check out the most frequent dangers around. Crocodiles will eat you in places like Australia and Africa. I've been in a few places in Central and South America where 14 foot Crocks lay on the banks sunning themselves wail kids are swimming. The reason they don't eat them is they are full and hunt at night.

I've been bitten by snakes, mugged by 40 monkeys; chase by a Komodo dragon and by far the most dangerous creature of all are bugs. If I combined all the MOST dangerous animal experience together, the local bus is WORST!

4. nikipa profile image62
    nikipaposted 13 years ago

Well, means you can write quite exciting hubs based on your experience.
    Cheers,
    Nikipa

5. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 13 years ago

You have lots of interesting stories !!What tips can you give me on staying on a small
    budget in Spain & greece ?

Like very much Southern Spain for sunshine and the sea, its lowest budget wise. Northern Spain mountains range and people look beautiful with a French mixture.

Personally I love Greece it’s almost a surreal place for the sea, land, history and culture, don’t know budget wise since their Country went into bankruptcy.

I imagine it’s not too bad

My travels. KCC ask me to write

If life flashed before my eyes, it would be like a wild amusement ride for me! This quick summary may sound like Forrest Gump on an acid trip to you. Somewhat in order of dates and places.

Age 7, first trip
        Ran away from home for 3 days, peanuts butter sandwiches; a thread and pin for fishing can only go so far.
        I charge 2 cent to each neighborhood kid for touring my wildlife zoo in our basement, to finance my next escape.

Age 8 to 17
        Travel as an international athletes in swimming, wrestling and water polo Traveled Europe, North America, and Centro America.

From age 13 hitch hike some summers, our Government gave free accommodation and two meals a day in every large major city across Canada. Once, fish guts fell on me from a bald eagle up in a tree. Trapped by a mother and black bear club, I scared them off. In the morning awoke from moose breathing on me. Kayak around Vancouver Island, best trip ever.

Hitch hike most of USA states during the summers. Got a hair cut on a tree stump in the Deep South from two huge red necks by gun point. Age

Age18 to 21
        Did animation, film work, studies taekwondo in LA, CA. and met many famous people and babes,

Meet serial killers, devil worshipers, many flaming gays, Jesus freaks, rainbow people and they told me their stories in a nutshell. Slow down on the hitch hiking after that.

My life went from a world class athlete to an artist over one hit of acid.
        Traveled for 11 months straight around the world, Europe, Asia, Australia, North America and Northern Africa.

From England to Calcutta India, took a magic bus, costing only $60. You get off any stops along the way and get back on again when you want. Did side trip to Algiers, almost got stoned for romantic on the beach. Took Polaroid picture in Iraq, show it to a group, they went running screaming, BLACK MAJIC.

At Monkey temple in Nepal got mugged by 40 monkeys for food, used my taekwondo. Nepal had many drug food restaurant for hippies to high on. Climbed Himalaya Mountains the most beautiful mountain varied ranges in the world

I think India and the USA are the most extreme country varied anywhere, having many of world riches people and land and some of the poorest.

Bangladesh is the poorest country, one place had10 waiter fraught over me to serve me.

Burma boarder was closed for 20 years, we were second air flight in its reopening, and people were too friendly like pest.

Got my second forced haircut in Singapore for being a suspected hippy. Lived with a Korea family for 3 weeks, dine on the floor table.  Snake temple, handle poisonous snakes; put them in my shirt and on my shoulders.
        Stayed one week in a village that had never seen a white person before.
        Did lots of dancing in Australia because, men don’t dance. Age 22 to 26

First full time sand sculptor in the modern times; Won my first sand sculpture world champion in 1982 then won 4 more afterwards. Started working world wide.Traveled all states and providences in Mexico Canada and the USA, except Yukon and Alaska.

In Southern Mexico meet a 300 member tribe, only breed by incest all with long noses. Had 3 machines cocked at me in a drug raid, had nothing on me. Swam with kids, wail crocodiles sun them selves on the banks. Skin drove and touched dolphins, turtles moray ells and sharks.

In Columbia our bus was stage coach robbed and I came out OK. Got mugged by three guys coming out of a bank, I beat them up for my passport or the Police would have beaten me up much worst. A Custom man stoled my camera wail laughing at me; strapped around him was machine gun... The USA and Columbia are the most dangerous in general.

Age 27 to 35
        By now, traveled 80 counties circled the world 3 times I met with many major politicians including presidents and premieres, plus many beautiful people, Got married,  had a daughter kept touring the world in sand, ice, snow, and multi media film fix and museum sculptures. Built sand sculpture up to 67 ft. tall, 70,000 tons and snow playgrounds span 3 acre. Worst vandal of all is birds.

Traveled more of Centro and South America. and survived war zones in parts. Petted a tame tiger and lion and they lick me back. Hugged and kiss monkeys and parrots everyday for a month. Chase by a Komodo dragon, swamp by thousands of bugs, near hits by local buses. Traveled with many farm animals sitting around me on buses

Age 36 to 55
        Taught or was a competitor sand sculptor in Russia, China South America, and Europe and sometime treated like a rock stars.  Ate in a China restaurant where all the food is sculptured.

Slept in 5 snice or ices Hotels, 3 in Finland, largest on in Sweden. Spent the night on a ice bed, ate on ice plate on ice table, drank from ice glasses and watched the northern lights.

Total – traveled 94 countries to date. All in all nobody got harmed, only one cracked finger nail to show for. Never touch a prostitute yet tour a few brothels. Never cheated on a woman for I worship the most beautiful creatures on earth.

Greatest moment ever, first born child, first world championship and sex for 20 hours straight. Sex, sculpture and travel are the only things continued, maybe until age 100. Today, building my own eco village in Belize

Can ask any question you have.

1. profile image0
          moncrieffposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can write many extraordinary stories based on your biography! Definitely you've enountered a lot of people and situations that a lot of people have not experienced. A good starting point for a great number of hubs here.

2. travelespresso profile image67
          travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Now THAT's a life well led.  Mind you, in the numbers of countries visited you beat me - no question of that.

Welcome to hubpages.  I look forward to reading a hub from you though.

From one traveler to another.

6. sid_candid profile image56
    sid_candidposted 13 years ago

You seem to be a travel enthusiast. I have never traveled out of my country and you have visited almost all parts of the world. I am excited to know more from you. I love the country of New Zealand. Hope to visit it one day. Any tips on New Zealand tour would be helpful for me.

1. simeonvisser profile image69
      simeonvisserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

sid_candid: To be very honest, I just wrote a hub on how to travel in New Zealand with carry-on luggage only. That could be interesting if you decide to venture abroad and to travel with not much luggage (which is what travel experience teaches many).

7. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Well from your story I know you got a good grasp of things in Australia and the few places I have been. What a fantastic and exciting life! smile
    It is wonderful to hear about your travels and encounters.

Acid changed my life as well. I started another business and found out a lot about myself.

I have been thoroughly entertained reading this summary and agree  you should write hubs about it, or perhaps a book or both if you have time.
    I feel I know you a little better after this and our conversations on forums.
    You rock! smile

Thanks for your interest.

I'll work on a hub: My trip around the World  in two parts.

1. profile image0
        Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You could write  a hub about every part of the world! I'd love to read stuff like that. You can compare and find best and worst of it. It will be fascinating I am sure. By the way, are you from Canada originally? Which part of Canada do you like the most?

Most parts of BC

8. Catering101 profile image61
    Catering101posted 13 years ago

Wow that's a lot! I hope i get to travel to places you've been as well. I agree, you should write about your travels here. I'm sure lots of people would love to read about it. Hope you get to travel more! smile

My unreal job as a sandsculpture, make me go everywhere, man. No time to cut my hair, man. Thats more than fair, man.

1. matt6v33 profile image60
        matt6v33posted 13 years agoin reply to this

seeking info on Thailand...
        any known "Do's, or Dont'"
        or "Beware of", or Stay Away" froms...
        Pro's/Con's??????
        Housing Market?
        Leads????

thanks...

jmm

matt6v33 

The last time I was in Thailand it was in early 90s for a short time, So, I don't know much about Thailand housing, just know there are a fantastic housing deal in some the northern border countries,

Thailand very rich in color, culture, landscape and food is most outstanding. It was one the biggest sex slave countries in the world, I don’t how much that has changed
          Over all much more pro's than con's

1. profile image50
            Pookiepooposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry if you've already answered this but there were so many replies I thought I'd just ask again!
            Have you been to Berne in Switzerland? Could you give me any recommendations on places to stay? I'm going for some solo R&R and someone suggested the Pergola Hotel. Do you know it? I'm looking for something homely and comfortable.

Castlepalomaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Forgot to answer this one. Mainly stayed at hostels because I am cheap.

1. Live to Learn profile image61
                Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Well that's a fine how do you do. Five years after he overspent during his visit. Thanks to you. You should send him a check. Or, at the very least, an apology note.

Offer advice and then don't give it in a timely manner. What were you thinking?

Castlepalomaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, just forgot.

I try to answer everyone if it's important. Going to be travelling a lot soon, it's time to share again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)