Cant work - weather is too bad

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (49 posts)
  1. Spacey Gracey profile image39
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

Working for myself, from home, I never thought I'd get another snow day again. I used to travel about an hour to work and in the winter got a few days off due to terrible weather.

But today the wind and rain has got so bad it keeps knocking out my internet - might need a weather enforced day in front of the TV wink

1. Polly C profile image90
      Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Really? Sounds bad. I'm in Norwich and so far the weather is ok, no rain and not that much wind. Although my son has gone on his first residential school trip today, 2 days on the cliff top in sunny West Runton, Cromer. I reckon it's going to be freezing and v. windy there! It's an outdoor activity centre...but he is most looking forward to the midnight feast !!

Spacey Graceyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Polly - I am in Frinton, about 60 miles south of you, right on the coast and about to be blown out to sea.

My mother in law is just heading back to Norwich after a vist - if you see her, please confiscate her Norfolk passport so she is unable to leave that county again smile

1. Polly C profile image90
          Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ok big_smile - I'll snatch it from her! I have just been out to the bank and it is a bit windy now - my ears are very cold and my son with the cosy hood didn't see the urgency to hurry!!

Yes, we can be our own little club...such a coincidence when you think how big the online world is. Ryankett lives in Norwich too.

2. waynet profile image70
      waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's a sod when that happens and sky TV too is affected by bad wind (lol) and weather. Secretly I like it when my internet goes off, because I can concentrate on drawing and content for  my ebooks Shhhh don't tell anyone!

3. Just Ask Susan profile image88
      Just Ask Susanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Weather is not too bad here in Ontario so far today. All summer my Internet kept going out due to the power being shut off for about an hour a day, every day. The hydro crew was busy updating wires and hydro poles. Was totally frustrating.

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Course. Blame the weather. tongue

I can't use that excuse - it doesn't snow where I live!

You've put in enough work you deserve to take a break though!

1. profile image0
      Toby Hansenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey, WryLit! If you do not get snow, you need to move to Gippsland, VIC.
      To the south of my place it is less than an hour to the surf. To the north, even less to the snowfields.

3. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Ick, ick, ick. We're in the middle of our first Nor'easter of the fall season complete with snow. And there's just enough to be annoying but not enough to be pretty. sad

4. Princessa profile image80
    Princessaposted 13 years ago

We have a storm in Central France, Internet is ok so far but I might just go and have some hot chocolate and cookies anyway (any excuse is good) It's cold, home alone and don't feel like cooking so hot choc is the best option smile

5. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

We haven't had any significant snow this year ... not that I'm complaining. This week is supposed to be in the low teens so I don't think they expect any this week. I think I might just move to Australia one of these days...

6. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

lol

It's tiddling down with rain and very blowy here in Margate as well.  Must be a Kent/Essex/coastal thing...

1. profile image0
      china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well blow me down - I am from Magate, to be absolutely precise, Westgate !

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No kidding - small world, isn't it!

Sorry, what was I thinking - that should be "small world, innit!"  lol

1. profile image0

Shame you can't hear my Chinese missus here - she has picked up my souf-eest twang that I put on especialy for her when I am cussing out the other road users on the way to work.  There is something more cute than really cute about a half pint pretty Chinese girl on the back of my scooter pointing out people doing stupid things on the road and telling me "look at that knob-end!"  Juat as well eventhe English speakers don't understand that kind of language big_smile

1. Susana S profile image95
            Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ha ha! That is one of my fav insults. I've been sooooo tempted to use it sometimes in these forums tongue

7. Susana S profile image95
    Susana Sposted 13 years ago

I must say I don't feel like working today either - the weather is pants (in Harlow, Essex) and I've got little motivation to do much except curl up and have a nap (in fact I might just do that!). November 8th = A duvet day for UK hubbers? big_smile

8. Spacey Gracey profile image39

Goodness - so China Man and Empress are from Kent, Polly is in Norfolk, and Susana and I are in Essex. A little East Uk hubbers club - we should have our own Forum.

1. profile image0

Excuse me - that would be a souf-eest club !

2. waynet profile image70

And I am from East Yorkshire!!! whoo hoo!

1. profile image0

That is NOT a place it an irritating desease, a bit like athletes foot on a peat cutters foot !!   big_smile

1. waynet profile image70

Oh! sad

2. Spacey Gracey profile image39

Wow that was harsh. And don't be dissing Wayne - he's a proper hard Northerner - he will hunt you down smile

Yeah....next time I'll pull a face like this Chineses man....

http://www.geekshow.us/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/fred01.jpg

1. WryLilt profile image88
              WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If he's Chinese, I'm blonde.

Nooooo not him, china man....he dissed where I was from!!!!! big_smile

1. WryLilt profile image88
                  WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But I'm NOT blonde!

And I ain't Ginger!

2. profile image0

Well !!  East Yorkshire for goodness sake !  There you are driving through nice Yorkshire scenery with canals, and little wood fringed fields or green hilly things, then it all turns into black bog moorland !  When I drove around there a lot I would have to stock up on chocolate and munchies to stop me getting depressed just driving past big_smile

Oh good you didn't mention the drug lords living on council estates and all the Chavs!

9. cre8tive profile image80
    cre8tiveposted 13 years ago

I'm a bit north of you in Bedfordshire and it's been horrendous all morning ~ though it seems to be calming down slightly now.

At some point I'll need to go out and rescue the garden furniture which is currently strewn round the garden like a piece of abstract art.

Winter's coming.

10. lyndre profile image60
    lyndreposted 13 years ago

Driving home from a wedding last night in Ayrshire,I was hit with a wave coming over the sea wall at Largs.definately a brown trouser moment.

Nice - lovely image while I am eating lunch smile

11. Spacey Gracey profile image39

Wish we had a HubPages map to post little hubber avatars all over.

12. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Been raining and windy in Hertfordshire too - internet still working though!

Time to knock off for lunch though - something warm like soup!

Oh soup....am going mad on Heinz Chicken and veg soup with a few door stop slices of bread and butter, fantastic!!!

1. camlo profile image84
        camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm eating breakfast cerial at three in the afternoon - what would my mum say about that? smile

It's just gotta be done, I've been known to eat nice hot porridge with syrup any time of the day! big_smile

1. camlo profile image84
            camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do that, too, but with brown sugar.

2. CMHypno profile image83
        CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My favorite is still Heinz tomato - it reminds me of being off sick from school, snuggled on the sofa!

13. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 13 years ago

Here in Cologne it's 8°c and sunny. Wish it was warmer, because I hate winter clothes.

14. Spacey Gracey profile image39

Hertfordshire is where my godparents are from smile

Nice pic Wayne - is that from that freaky kids film he was in - the name escapes me and now its gonna drive me nuts all day.

Drop dead fred!

That's the one - must dig it out - for my kids benefit of course smile

I watched it last week....fun film!

2. CMHypno profile image83
      CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

East enough to join the club?

Oh yes definitely. If Wayne's made it in with 'East Yorkshire' - which is actually further away from me than France, then I think Hertfordshire counts as East too smile

15. Amanda Severn profile image95
    Amanda Severnposted 13 years ago

It seems to be brightening up here in Sussex. Just as well, because I thought our sash windows were going to rattle their panes out last night!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)