How long to create a Hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-30 of 30 discussions (46 posts)
  1. belief713 profile image61
    belief713posted 15 years ago

Just for fun, wondering, on average, how long does it take most Hubbers to create a Hub?

I'm finding, on average, it takes me 2-3 hours to create a Hub - that includes creating the content, organizing the layout/adding relevant capsules, etc. I very rarely write my content ahead of time or in a second doc (although I should because I've lost content many times by not doing it that way). Usually when I sit down to write a Hub it's because an idea has popped into my head and I'm starting from scratch.

So, just wondering, what the average appears to be, what your method of madness is to publishing Hubs, and if any one has tips on how they speed up the process?

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think I average 3-4 from the time I start writing until the time I finish.

Altogether with keyword research, shopping around, actual content, critiquing, edit, layout, backlinking, and networking.. I have probably spend 5-8 hours.

2. LiamBean profile image80
      LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I spend about an hour for 1,000 words. It used to take longer, but I use a word processing program because I can check for spelling errors as I type. I think cut and paste into the article once I have the photos, graphics, and/or movies ready to include.

3. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For many topics I spend about the same amount of time as you on the actual writing. I have spent all of my available free time playing with google keyword tool trying to find good niche topics to write to tho, I may well have to spend a few hours reading about the topic if I find a good one that I don't actually know much about! In the end I can spend more time researching a topic and educating myself about it before writing it.

2. Everyday Miracles profile image86
    Everyday Miraclesposted 15 years ago

Mine take between 1 and 3 hours to write. On occasion I'll spend longer than that because I am taking care of my daughter as well as writing and she might need me for something and therefore interrupt what I'm doing.

belief713posted 15 years agoin reply to this

That happens to me a lot!

3. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

1-3 Hours and sometimes I have to save it and go back other times if they are short it can take me about an hour and a half. smile

4. Curious Traveller profile image69
    Curious Travellerposted 15 years ago

The way I do it is to plan it out in my head in advance. I always have a fairly clear idea as to what I am going to create in the first instance before even signing in to the site.

When I then sign in, I would say about an hour sees me having added enough content to be happy with putting the Hub live. This, however, means that I may have spent a couple of days or more from the stage of getting the idea to publishing the Hub.

What we should always remember with our Hubs, of course, is that Hubs are essentially mini Web pages and that Web pages have to be kept fresh if they are to be successful in the long term. This means that we should be going back to our Hubs and adding new content and material on an extremely regular basis.

Good, now I don't feel too bad. It seems like everyone is about the same. I always use my own unique content, so that probably helps delay the process.

I don't even want to talk about how many Hubs I started and never finished...

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
        GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Procrastination is a punk. wink

Yes, it is, and i'll be the first to admit I'm a procrastinator! LOL not exactly proud of it though, in the works of changing and managing my time better...

but then I start doing things like social networking and posting in forums and... uh-oh, where'd the time go? LOL

2. belief713 profile image61

I don't always find this necessary. I've found using a RSS or News capsule using my targeted phrase works just fine.

I've actually noticed sometimes when I edit my hubs my placement in the search engines drops or disappears, so I've learned to leave them alone, usually, once I hit publish. I may add a link or two, or remove one or two, but leave the content untouched.

Anyone else?

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

No me. I fiddle all the time. They go down, but then rebound again after a day or two in my experience (only 8 months)

3. Lissie profile image75
      Lissieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Not at all - I have sites ranked on page 1 of google which I haven't touched for 6 months.

If you do want to automatic update your hubs just add a frequently updated RSS feed, a news feed and/or an eBay capsule

4. darkside profile image62
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I abandon mine soon after they're born.

They do quite alright by themselves.

The only freshening up they get is if I find or think of information that will definitely improve the content and therefore the readers experience.

But I don't fuss over all my hubs. Got too much to do elsewhere.

5. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
    GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years ago

Like Curious Traveller says, the more work you do in advance the faster it can be made. smile

It usually takes me about an hour or two, depending on what I'm working on. If its mostly my own content I've got it at the ready.

G|M

6. DonnaCSmith profile image83
    DonnaCSmithposted 15 years ago

I create my articles in Word first. Sometimes I write an article in one sitting, but most of the time I write the concept, do research, finish and then start creating the hub. The steps are sometimes done over several days when I have the time to mess with it, or am in the mood. Then I work on the photos - take them for the article or edit ones I have already taken.

Actually putting it on the hub only takes about 30 minutes. Creating the article depends on the subject and if it requires research. I guess 1-3 hours is about right.

Thanks. That's about how I do my Hubs (except without Word but directly in the capsules). Unfortunately, often times when I start a Hub I have to be pry'd away from the computer until I finish it (I guess because I know I may never finish it if I walk away ).

I did this once (craft a Hub elsewhere) and it was relatively easy to just throw it up on HubPages... I wish I could put a post-it right next to the "Start a new hub" button reminding me to do it this way. I usually tend to dive in and start crafting my Hubs here.

7. apeksha profile image66
    apekshaposted 15 years ago

It depends upon, the subject you want to write.
    Any body cant tell you the proper length of hub.

I'm not asking so much about the length of a hub as much as how long it takes to create one. I was feeling like it was taking me forever to create hubs sometimes. And I have been working on time management lately for myself, so I am just trying to get a realistic idea of how much time I should put aside for creating new Hubs.

8. lindagoffigan profile image56
    lindagoffiganposted 15 years ago

I can create a hub between thirty minutes and an hour of constant work.  After I decide on a topic, I search Yahoo or Google for relevant images.  Then I add my two revenue capsules, ebay and amazon to the content capsule.  If I am writing on a political topic, I will add the News feed though now I will add that to more than just the political articles.  As one commenter said, News Feeds keep the hubpage updated and current.

Then I am ready to type in my text which as of recently, I have been using two text capsules.  After thoroughly proofreading the hubpage, I have it published and then distribute it to the social media the HubPages Staffers have selected using the share icon.  I always list my comments after my revenue capsules to help with any online shopping that the reader may be interested in.  All work is done within thirty minutes to an hour. 

I have written 257 hubs in a matter of three months. I used to write in a tablet, transfer the writing to Microsoft Word and then copy and paste to the text capsule.  Once I gained confidence in Hubpages, I started writing directly in the text capsule, saving time to write more articles.

Wow, you must be really disciplined!

You seem to have a pretty good system that works well for you. I'm working on developing one. Every time I create a Hub the circumstances are different, so I can't say I have a certain order of steps I follow when I create a new Hub.

Two is never enough for me. I like to use lots of text capsules and break up my content because it allows me to play with the layout more. That's probably what takes me longer than anything else.

I should probably do this more often, but I often forget about that nifty little spellchecker! And I don't like to social mark my own stuff too much, I prefer for it to be natural. Although, bookmarking your own stuff can help ensure the proper keywords, etc are used. Still trying to figure out which method is better.

Have you noticed whether this makes a difference. I display my revenue capsules near the content that it's relevant to. Or after the comments section many times. Not sure what method is better?

I wish! I would have had a lot more hubs published if it only took me that long! 

Wow! While that's great, I've only published a fraction of the Hubs you have and yet my scores are higher, so I'm starting to not feel as bad (no offense).

9. Christa Dovel profile image70
    Christa Dovelposted 15 years ago

Most of my articles have taken a minimum of five hours to write.  Research, photography and editing take more time.  I am guessing that my average hub has taken eight hours to put together.

Wow, ok eight hours is a long time, but I can honestly say a few of my hubs felt like they've taken that long to craft. (I never really exactly clocked it)

That's the same way I usually do it (online). The only problem with this (walking away) is I often either lose my train of thought or the direction I was going with the Hub or I completely forget about it all together! I think I have close to the same amount of unpublished Hubs as published ones! I've been going through and deleting some that I realized I may never finish in case someone else wants to use the url.

10. C.S.Alexis profile image85
    C.S.Alexisposted 15 years ago

I think my hubs take an average of four hours. Some go fast, some go slow. I have started hubs and worked on them when I have time for a couple of weeks. It would be nice to write from start to finish but I am way too busy with other things in my life. I do write them as I go. I usually do all of it as I go. When I finish I go back and tweak everything. Some of my best hubs are right off the top of my head.

11. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 15 years ago

I make my hubpages all online. Sometimes I need to spend a lot of time on research so I just leave the hub unfinished, unpublished and get back to it later.I think on average it take an hour or two for me to create a hub page, but it does vary depending on how I feel on the day.

12. Kidgas profile image63
    Kidgasposted 14 years ago

I seem to be averaging about 1-2 hours.  I am currently working on something that has taken 2 hours of research by itself.  Hope it turns out to be good.

13. N. Ramius profile image74
    N. Ramiusposted 14 years ago

Many of my hubs take like 5 or 6 hours to write but the bulk of it is research. I'm writing on whatever I find interesting so usually I don't know a lot about my topic before I write about it. Hence the thorough research.

14. BrianFanslau profile image60
    BrianFanslauposted 14 years ago

Yeah My hubbs take me about 2 hours as well smile but I love it it is a ton of fun.

15. anime_nanet profile image59
    anime_nanetposted 14 years ago

So how I create a hub...

I have the idea to the hub, create it, then I normally add some random writing concerning the topic (normally pasted from wikipedia or something) to the hub.

Then I let it stay for a while... can be 3 days, can be 2 months... I let that Hubscore grow smile

When I'm in a inspired day I just open it, delete the filler text and write it from start to finish... that normally takes me 2 hours at least. I like to do it in a solo session, when I have to go back to it I always take longer...

A few days after publishing it I go back to it, read it very well again and do it some retouches here and there.

16. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 14 years ago

days,weeks,months...no kidding.
    I often jot notes on a blank open office doc and do that on four to five different article ideas at a time...
    sometimes that article will sit there in docs and I'll come back to it..
    i am trying to work all the way through on an article...
    must be that ADD i have= big_smile

17. jenblacksheep profile image67
    jenblacksheepposted 14 years ago

It takes me forever to write a hub. Like sometimes I have to literally dedicate an entire day to writing it. Mainly because I know that throughout the day I will be distracted by forums/tv/food lol even when the hub is open right in front of me. Perhaps the time I am actually typing words only adds up to a couple of hours, but boy does it feel like forever.

18. dohn121 profile image81
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

On my Harry Potter hub (no showboating/spamming please) I spent a total of 6 days as to where I wanted to go with it.  But I'm proud of my work and enjoyed every minute working on it.  I always try to put as much effort as possible into finishing my hubs.

However, most of the time, I spend on average, 5 hours to complete one hub, when all is said and done.  I done love that button that screams out "PUBLISH NOW."  It feels so good to finish a hub.

19. profile image0
    Sidney Rayneposted 14 years ago

Ermmm....I guess I don't really count the time. I complete a Hub in one sitting....adding in time for taking a break and taking the dog out....drinking coffee...occasionally eating.

All in all...probably about 3 hours plus or minus depending on the Hub...some seem to write themselves...others take a bit of work in the initial stages.

Generally I try to have a concept when I sit down to write...I find that whatever I think about prior to falling asleep is usually the best content...that is when my brain is predominantly going into shut down phase and seems to spit out random thoughts or ideas.

Sometimes...as with the Michael Vick piece I did...it is just a matter of looking at the news and seeing something that influences you.

20. starme77 profile image76
    starme77posted 14 years ago

I.m getting faster at it  , trying to get down to a few hours , but I never seem satisfied and just hit thempublish button , once I get over changing things around and around and just hit the publish button I'll be able to do a hubb in a few hours I think

21. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

One to two hours!

22. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

hi good day to all! I create a hub, I just keep on writing and then stop, the ideas and the hub together, it can take four hours. I kept on writing, and looking at notes, six hours all in one hub, can do three a day at the most!

23. Hope Wilbanks profile image67
    Hope Wilbanksposted 14 years ago

I can create one in about thirty minutes or less. The key for me is doing all the prep work ahead of time, then when I sit down at the computer to write and create my Hub, it goes much quicker.

What I like to do is grab a notebook and take a few minutes to jot down titles or article ideas. Then I take one idea and write it at the top of a new page and create a really fast outline. Nothing fancy or detailed, just a general plot of things I want to say in the article. I like to do about 10 of these in one sitting.

Next thing I do, now that I know what kind of topics I'll be writing about, I go gather pictures to use on my hubs. Although, there are days when I have free time and I just go sift through stock photo sites and save pictures randomly (because I generally write in the same niches, so I know what sort of pictures I like to use).

When I'm ready to write the actual content, if I have my outlines, I can usually write the article in very little time. I get that done, plug it into my hub, add photo(s) and/or video, and whatever other extra I might want there, and I'm done.

I think if you plan your content ahead that can save you a lot of time because that's probably where you spend most of your time. Another thing I do is pretty much use the same format for all my hubs. Every time I create a new one, I automatically go to the right side and click on the capsules I want to add then rearrange them quickly.

I don't know if any of this will even help you, but it works for me. wink

24. Natural Medicine profile image60
    Natural Medicineposted 14 years ago

How about 2 years? Just joking really. I've only 1 hub with this 2 year old account. I finally decided to take some time out of other pursuits & create here. I LIKE IT! It's a whole new way creating my content for a different audience.

My only hub took me 7 days, but while I was laying it out in a text file I was also doing research for 6 other hubs....cause I get bored after awhile & have to work on something else.

I enjoy having lots of fires burning, so on my desktop there's files in various stages of creating 6 other hubs, and the keyword research done for 6 more after those.

25. viryabo profile image94
    viryaboposted 14 years ago

1 whole day to do my research. Then off to Onenote to commence writing. Most times it may take me a couple of days to write one hub, but it's fine by me.smile
    However, when i partake in a hubchallenge, i can finish 3 hubs in 2 days. Reallly work better when i'm under pressure!

26. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Uh oh, sad

27. profile image0
    philip carey 61posted 14 years ago

Mine are all short poems, so not that long. I usually jot them down from my office and then email the text to myself, for posting in the evening. I spend 20 minutes or so on each, I would guess.

I could imagine prose taking much longer.

28. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

One to two hours or more depending on the topic.  If it is something I'm writing about that requires no research and no amazon ads & I know it inside out, about an a hour.  I do everything in word so I have a copy of it.

29. NaomiR profile image75
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

Mine take 1-3 hours. But then I'm constantly going back and changing things to keep them as optimized as possible.

30. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 14 years ago

1 to 2 hours.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)