RED WASP---I need way to Kill them off!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

Over-the-counter sprays will not and have not worked.
    I even bought a chemical to mix and spray from the Co-op and that lasted 2 days and they returned!

Waspinator...lol, red wasp landed on them!
    Wasp traps have not worked.

Can't get to nest, in the roof line of house on 4 corners.

The soap and water....they fly away and return Angry!!!

I am to the point that I am thinking about Gasoline in a spray bottle, but don't want to end up burning the house down!!!

Any ideas at all???

Before i end up gasing and hoping the fumes dry before any possible spark?

It has gotten to the point that I have to walk out the door with a spray in hand and being allergic I can't afford a sting.

1. profile image0
      woolman60posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The only long term solution is to get an exterminator in. They will have the knowhow, the tools and the expertise to know how to tackle the situation. It takes skill just to identify the location of the nest. Once the situation reaches a critical level, you will have no choice but to call in exterminators. But it is worth calling them in even at an early stage. You will want to get rid of them for good early on when the job is easier. This is not something you want to put off as the problem will get increasingly worse.

2. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have been using dishsoap and water for years and have never had a wasp or any other insect that breaths through its exoskeleton survive. That's quite surprising. Really tough wasps you have there. smile

2. Dale Mazurek profile image61
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

I vouch for burning the house down.  Dam I hate wasps.

All kidding aside and especially since you have an allergy you do need to get an exterminator out there.

You dont need to get bit.

Be careful and make that phone call.

Dale

1. Michael Willis profile image67
      Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL,  I have been so tempted to spray gas...but don't want to burn the house down either.

3. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

Thanks woolman. Guess I may have to break down and spend the money for that. The situation has really gotten bad already.
    Everything I read about wasp says they die in the fall except for the Queen who mates and rebuilds the colony in spring.
    Well...I must have a colony of Queens. I mean...on a warm day during our Winter you can see a swarm of wasps come out.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

E-X-T-E-R-R-R-MINATOR!!! Right away. Do not fool around if you have an allergy, it's serious.

4. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Habitat, Food Source(s), Damage: Mouthparts are for chewing. Nests are built from wood fiber collected from posts and occasionally from live plant stems, causing some plant damage. This fiber is chewed and formed into a single paper-like comb of hexagonal cells. Nests are oriented downward and are suspended by a single filament. Mature nests contain up to 200 cells. Paper wasps prey on insects such as caterpillars, flies and beetle larvae which they feed to larvae. They actively forage during the day and all colony members rest on the nest at night.

If they are in the eaves of the house imagine the damage they are doing to your wood fibers, get the exterminator out there pronto. Your body and your home are at stake.

5. profile image0
    Lecieposted 14 years ago

i lived in a traler once that had a nest in a nearby tree. they kept getting in the trailer. so while i was there with just my cat everyday i needed to kill them fast before they could sting my ever too curious kitty. i was a skilled idiot but killed them just fine everytime. like a warrior armed with only a note book i waited for the right moment to attack which was when they landed. one by one i defeated them in battle and never got stung.
    that is until they stopped coming around and a bee got in then the bee got the best of me. fast little fuckers them bees are. any way i eventually saw progress in the disappearance of the wasps. you should try this before the gasoline. good luck to you. if you need a warrior for the mission i'm happy to volunteer. just pay my way and i will defeat your army of wasp just as i defeated mine.

6. mythbuster profile image71
    mythbusterposted 14 years ago

Did you find anything that has worked yet, Michael Willis?

I had the same problem before but with bees - which I have allergies to.

Just in case something similar happens again in my area - it would be nice to know if you found a solution and got rid of your wasps yet - or whether it took calling in an exterminator.

7. Wealthmadehealthy profile image59
    Wealthmadehealthyposted 13 years ago

Have you tried the product called BeeFree??   This has proven effective to get rid of wasps.....you can find it on a google search..

8. leni sands profile image66
    leni sandsposted 13 years ago

Hi, just come across this - my grandmother, mother and now me always use the same method - take on jam jar with small amount of jam inside, add water to about 3 quarters full, close lid and pierce with holes - not too large but large enough for wasps to sneak in.  The wasps goes for the sweet jam, becomes trapped in the jam jar and drowns.  Hope this helps.

9. leni sands profile image66
    leni sandsposted 13 years ago

Furthermore, lots of jam jars as close to nest as possible might help kill them off.

10. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Maybe you could paint them back to a yellow and black stripe and maybe they will see that that is the fashion trend they must follow this season and fly away!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)