stupid question?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (19 posts)
  1. edelhaus profile image72
    edelhausposted 13 years ago

Hi All I just joined Hubpages a little over a week ago and am not sure how everything works... I'd like to join the Hubchallenge 30/30 but am not sure how - do I just start?  Is there somewhere to sign up?  Am I missing something???  I know, I know, the answer is probably written in large print and posted in some really obvious place :-) (that I just keep overlooking).

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You just write the hubs and then post the links in the suitable forums.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's not a stupid question!  When you see the word "Challenge", it's normal to expect that it's some kind of contest, with enrolment and start and end dates and all that stuff.

However, the Challenge is really just a challenge for yourself.  All you're doing is making a public commitment to write 30 Hubs in 30 Days, so other people can embarrass/encourage you into sticking to that commitment.

So, you can start any time.  However, before you do, I recommend you spend a few days reading about how to maximise the potential of your Hubs.  No point in writing a whole lot of Hubs which you have to go back and edit later, when you learn more about Hubbing!

Darkside has written a great introductory series - the one I think would most benefit you is this one:

http://hubpages.com/hub/capsules

It's always important to split your text up into several capsules, it enables ads to appear in the best places.  Capsule headings helps the reader too - large chunks of text are difficult to read online.

Good luck!

2. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

no sign up needed

just start a post announcing that you have started the challenge. Feel free to ask for help, advice or anything you need, update it from time to time if you want to share your progress.

Post your hub links only in this forum. http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/18049 Don't post anywhere else.

1. KristenGrace profile image60
      KristenGraceposted 13 years ago

I can see your question has been answered by now but I wanted to wish you some luck in the challenge!!  It truly pays off smile

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How does it pay off in your experience, if I may ask?

KristenGraceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, for me, (and I can only speak for myself), I created 100 hubs in just under 50 days as my own challenge, and I saw a great increase in traffic, because I linked related hubs together
          I suppose it would depend on what you consider "successful..."  I love to write so for me, successful is having my hubs READ lol
          When I see increases in traffic, that means something to me smile
          Hope that makes sense..... Just spent 9 hours with Kindergarteners so might not be speaking clearly...

1. profile image0

You make perfect sense. Thanks for elaborating. I think what you did was a major accomplishment and a model for others to follow (provided they have that kind of energy).

Haha, thanks.
              I wrote those when I was nannying and waiting for this position to open so I DID have much more time than now!!

1. profile image0

OK, Letting Go isn't always easy.

tongue

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

WE, for me the "payoff" was simply that I wrote more Hubs than I otherwise would have.  I attempted the Challenge three times - twice I failed, but even then, I wrote far more Hubs than I usually would in a month.

I don't believe the challenge results in more traffic - except in the sense that you have more Hubs, therefore you're bound to get more traffic!   Posting in the Challenge forums may get you extra attention from other Hubbers, but as you know that's not a major contributor to Hub traffic.

1. profile image0

Marisa Wright, thanks for sharing your experiences. I find this interesting, and appreciate your response.

1. WryLilt profile image88
              WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd have to agree with Marisa and Kristen.

However I'd also like to add that the part that helped me most was forcing myself to write that much in that amount of time, creating a habit. I completed three challenges - however once I'd done those I found that I no longer needed the incentive of a challenge, I just started to do it naturally.

Now I average probably from 25-50 hubs a month across all my accounts - definitely a good habit!

It's just like learning to read. For awhile you need to force yourself to, but once you learn how, it comes naturally. The thirty day challenge was my ABCs

2. edelhaus profile image72
      edelhausposted 13 years ago

thanks to all for your helpful responses - well, actually I'm off to a good start - at least with the number of hubs I've written.  Maybe some of you could take a look and tell me what you think of these 3:

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Most-Beauti … -Make-Them
      http://hubpages.com/hub/the-age-of-exub … que-design
      http://hubpages.com/hub/heirloom-qualit … ts-of-2010

I really appreciate everyone taking their time to offer some advise!

edelhaus

1. saleheensblog profile image60
        saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

don't post links here.
        go to http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/18049
        if you want constructive criticism go to http://hubpages.com/forum/23

3. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

Edelhaus, may I suggest that you post your links to the Extreme Hub Makeover forum for feedback?

1. edelhaus profile image72
        edelhausposted 13 years agoin reply to this

oops!  Sorry - just read the posts about not posting links in this forum.  Got it now.

1. profile image0

No problem. Maybe I wasn't being clear enough the first time around; trying to be diplomatic and all. Good luck!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)