Need constructive criticism!

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Direxmdposted 15 years ago

My newest article: http://hubpages.com/hub/Why-Social-Secu … l-Collapse seems to be attracting few hits so far, is it too short? too much jargon? Just need to find out why hits are so low this morning.

Please give any criticism as you see fit smile

Thanks!
    -Mike

2. profile image0
    Rainbow Briteposted 15 years ago

informative, and broken down in a very readable fashion.  Problems I see with the hub...
    1)  Sounds very much like an opinion, rather than the factual information that it is.  This can easily be fixed by limiting the use of "I" statements.  Instead of saying "I think this will happen because (xyz) is happening," say, "This is what will happen when/if (xyz) happens."
    2)  The "socail security for dummies" fashion that this hub is written in can be a pro and a con.  By that I mean that some people (such as myself) who have no clue about anything political will appreciate the laymen's terms you have used, others who deal in this professionally or who take a greater interest in it may find it insulting to their intelligence and probably know everything that you have stated.
    3)  You have a surprisingly few number of tags.  Remember, when people do a search, the information in your tags is used to help decide if your hub is going to be along the lines of what they are looking forr.  So, think about what you would type in were you to search for the information contained in your article
    4)  This may be because of the fact that I know nothing about your subject matter, but I was confused by what afghanistan's population pyramid had to do with your subject.
    5)  Layout - The charts and video you have are interesting and helpful, but maybe breaking the text up a bit and inserting the graphs accordingly might help?  Also, the video moves a bit fast...it is necessary to pause the video several times to read what is in the green box.  Is there another similar video avaliable?
    6)  "I invite you to keep reading..." I have a problem with this sentance...it sounds like you're afraid that you've bored me to death and you're scared that I might leave the page.  Don't beg for your readers' attention, command it.  Many times I have been advised to leave author's asides or forewarnings out of my hubs, and when I removed them, they performed markedly better.

In terms of traffic, I wouldn't worry about it, you have a high hubscore, which means that the traffic will come.  Remember time zones, peoples' schedules, etc.

Over all, a very good hub, I learned something new today!  Thanks for sharing!

3. profile image49
    Donna18posted 15 years ago

The friendly and the non explanatory attitude kept me glued.
    On the other hand I think:
    1)You could avoid certain phrases which unnecessarily elongate the thesis. At some places it sounded more like a Presentation before an audience than a thesis to be read.
    “I feel that it is now necessary to bring in the topic of population pyramids…
    As said above…
    To keep this article short, sweet…”
    Sentences like these can be avoided.
    2)And yes you can limit the use of “I” .Third person speech should better fit.
    3)All way through the thesis I was getting convinced that the system may not work after all. The conclusion can be more persuading and powerful as well.

Definitely a good read and you kept it thoroughly interesting.

4. profile image0

Thanks a bunch guys! THAT was good criticism smile

I made another article that could use some critical attention as well, if not, that's fine too:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Find-Che … s-Yourself

5. sschilke profile image74
    sschilkeposted 15 years ago

Direxmd,

I just read your hub on social security and cheap airfare.  Here are some of my observations.

1)  You could have cut both articles by half and both articles would have been effective. 
    2)  Please do not say "as stated before" or any like statement.  As a reader, I can come to that conclusion on my own.
    3)  When writing information hubs traffic (outside of hub pages) depends largely on your ability to articluate information about niche topics. 

Example:  If you want to write about Social Security, write about a specific part of it... perhaps about the potential proposals floating around Congress to raise the age for bennefits...or for your article on cheap airfare, write specifically about how to best utilize Southwest airlines (seemed to be one of your favorites) and specific routes.

Hope this helps,

Best of luck,

Sschilke

6. profile image0

Okay, I think I've had enough.  Thanks for your help guys.

7. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

Also, be very true to yourself and only take suggestions with a grain of salt.  Everyone will tell someone a different thing about how to improve this or that, but maybe I just am not worried because I write for myself.  When you decide to just focus on your being satisfied with the hub it does wonders.  Sometimes even working on a hub over several days allows you to edit at your leisure.

Also, long hubs are good for search engines and I would not cut anything in half.

8. profile image0

thanks sweetiepie, that brings up my morale a little bit smile

9. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

OMG...  Remind me not to form a writers workshop on hubpages ever...

I'm sure you are fine, comparatively speaking.  Sweetie's is the best advice.

smile

10. profile image0

LOL Lita big_smile

11. profile image0
    Rainbow Briteposted 15 years ago

lol lita that goes without saying!  Get a room full of writers reading and critiquing one another's work and they will NEVER leave and NOTHING will ever be completed or accomplished because everyone wants their say in everyone elses work and...well it's just a mess.  For that reason I rarely comment on others' writing (except gross gramattical or punctual errors), but direxmd caught me on a night that I was desperately seeking distraction.  (thanks a bunch btw!)  In any case, direxmd, as a writer, you're better than most, worse than some, which is kind of where I strive to be most days, so congrats on that!

12. profile image0

HA! Thanks, I strive to be a C+/B- writer big_smile

Mainly, I don't know who my audience is yet (whether it be academic, or a 'for dummies' article audience), so I try to find a middle ground in between them (which contestably, is worse than specializing in a certain audience).  I guess that specialization will come with time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)