Using Hubpages as Your Main Platform

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)
  1. nlthomas profile image60
    nlthomasposted 13 years ago

I'm not sure if this is listed in the right section or not. If it's listed incorrectly I apologize.

I'm writing today for a few reasons. First, a short introduction. I'm the type of person who joins multiple sites, tries to run them all and then fails miserably by either abandoning or forgetting about accounts. Now, I've been working (slowly) on a personal site, but I've done that many times before (closing them months later). I've also used blogs in the past (and have four currently), but grow bored of updating.

I like the idea of hubpages as it allows writers to brand themselves. Are there any hubbers out there that use hubpages as their main platform or website?

I know hubs aren't meant to be used as blog posts, but does anyone here treat it as their personal site? I worry about running myself too thin. I also know hubpages may not always be here which is why I back up all of my hubs.

Is it possible to use hubpages as a personal site? I'd still write informative articles, but instead of sending readers all over the place, I'd concentrate my efforts here.

Advice or tips are appreciated. Sorry if I'm not making much sense. Head colds drain brain power wink

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Welcome to HubPages!

Use HubPages however you want. Create a brand name or sales of products or informative articles.

I am using it as a personal site to launch my thoughts, expressions and message to others. I spread knowledge I've gained and let those who read see the wisdom in my words. smile

Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do.

On a side note- I have several blogs I use also, but primary here on HubPages.

3. Spacey Gracey profile image40
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

Hi - and welcome to HubPages.

When I started working online I wanted to write a blog, then realised pretty quickly that was not going to make me the kind of money I needed.

HubPages is my main platform right now, but now I have an income stream established from this I will be adding another string to my bow in the new year.

I understand what you mean about speading yourself too thin and it definitely takes time to learn your way around each platform, so in the time it takes you to get mediocre traffic to 5 other sites, you may have learnt how to write great hubs and get great traffic at HubPages.

Just my 2 cents.

I really wish I have spent more time thinking things through before throwing myself in to every site I came across.

nlthomasposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cagsil - thank you so much for the welcome and advice. It's nice to see that there are others using hubpages how I'm hoping to do.

Spacey - Thank you for the kind welcome. I've actually been online for about 5 years and through that time I've made multiple deviantart accounts, blogger blogs, blogs on livejournal and even more personal sites I never touched.

I think we just go running out of the gate so fast, we don't know when to stop until we're overwhelmed. I'm glad to see others using hubpages as their main platform. It makes me a little more calm if you know what I mean.

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. wink

4. Urbane Chaos profile image91
    Urbane Chaosposted 13 years ago

I write for a living, but it's always what they want me to write about.. HP allows me the freedom to write articles that really wouldn't make it unless they're online.  I'm able to post articles that got turned down, but I believe still needed to be read.  I did the blog thing years ago, but it was a hassle.  I also went with other writing sites, but they either paid too low or I didn't get to keep control over my work.  At HP, the pay is decent, and I retain all rights.  So, for now, HP is my only online outlet, and it's been great so far.

nlthomasposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I also write articles for other sites, but like you, I've had a few rejections that I felt needed to be seen. However, I plan to use hubpages mostly as a way to share my creative writing as well as tips on publishing, finding and agent and other topics like that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)