Down with bad cold, sore throat and high temperature...

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

I hate, I really do. Every Christmas holidays I am down with something. This year I thought I missed it. No such luck. I am down again with cold. Any suggestions? Is it a curse? Why on Christmas? I drink tons of teas, ate a whole plantation of lemons, stayed in bed the whole day today (did not go to work). What else? http://www.pic4ever.com/images/154fs232528.gifAny suggestions, please.

1. Leah Aubrey profile image58
      Leah Aubreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well you must have kissed the wrong guy on New Year's Eve.

Sorry to hear that you feel so sick.  I went through it right after Thanksgiving, it was awful.  I suggest TheraFlu.

2. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

girl stay at home!

and go girl stuff in the home

not meaning housegirl chores

and bloomin stop spreading it about here there's an awake vampire here

and girl you always home here I say

kiss

feel better for real girl smile [glad your not school girl for real too or I'd have to think again whew!]

tissue?

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4375906_f248.jpg

2. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

Well, it happens every year like a clock work in December around Christmas. This year I thought, "I am not sick, how nice." As soon I told myself that - I've got sick.
    I feel better today, but very painful to talk or to swallow anything. What is Theraflu?

1. Flightkeeper profile image66
      Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think Thera Flu is great too.  It's like medicine in a tea.  You can get it over the counter.

3. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Move to a warmer climate smile

Teraflu is an over-the-counter medication you dissolve in a hot water and drink. Not too bad, but I don't use any medications for a long time already...

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Too many bugs and snakes and crocodiles, I mean no babkis for that... sad

1. profile image0
        Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, I don't use medications either and don't like vodka - not much left big_smile

1. Misha profile image62
          Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Drink lots of "kipyatok" and get well soon smile

2. Mikeydoes profile image42
      Mikeydoesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I usually go to Florida during the winter and get sick.

I've had two separate colds. One just got done, and this one is now coming back.

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL I guess that's because you go there and not live there. BTW, did you know that about a half of worldwide shark attacks yearly happen at Florida coast? wink

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
          Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Shark attacks can cure flu, I've heard.

I don't get colds very often. A hot-water toddy of rum, lemon and honey with a little nutmeg and cinnamon ?-- Not a cure, but it might help you decongest and feel better.

4. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

To get rid of it, you need good rest, and good um... coughing upses. So like, total bedrest isn't the best and quickest way to recover, though for a few days you may need it. When you can be sure to get up and try to go about your daily activities. This will help the coughing up process.

Dayquil sucks. Don't believe me? Google it. Nyquil and Theraflu good. Um, that other one is also bad... shoot. Forget it's name. The one that is supposed to make you all better super fast... With zync. That stuff is an out and out ripoff. Zync can help, but not in that form.

A course of tamiflu if you're insured will greatly speed up your recovery if you begin the tamiflu within the first couple of days of becoming ill.

My interest developed this year because for the first time ever I became sick. I mean, you know, little stuff now and then over the years, but never once anything bad, and this year when it hit me it hit me horribly bad, four days before christmas. Two days before Christmas I lost the ability to smoke. Yay! Wasn't that great fun!

I am still not recovered. I feel old. And angry and resentful. I resent that I cannot smoke, and I resent that it is against my will, and I resent that it happened at christmas, and I resent my husband, who got sick first, and was all better in like 5 days, and who was perfectly capable of smoking all the way through it.

So anyway, I wanna make sure this NEVER HAPPENS TO ME AGAIN! And yes, I am yelling. LOL. Haha. Smiley-smiley.

So. I've done some research. A hub will be forthcoming, but not yet. SStill not nearly focused enough. Did I mention that? I lost the ability to focus. Seriously. I mean, I lost the ability to take a friggin' shower without getting exhausted. It was terribly bad and scary.

Avoid air travel beginning in mid-november, or any other types of crowds for that matter. Avoid experiencing any large temperature fluctuations -- any. It's not a myth. Cold to hot and/or vice versa leaves your system weakened. So don't crank up the heat, do wear sweaters inside, all that stuff you've heard about it.

The evidenece supporting supplements like vitamin C, zync and echinacea is all very anecdotal and dubious. But for the most part it cannot hurt. Zync only works if consumed a certain way though, and echinacea may be bad for some people. I forget who.

Um..... oh yeh, get a flu shot. I will be getting one from now on. I concede, I am not immune and indomitable. October. Get a flu shot. Every year. It's no guarantee. But flu shots are designed yearly to protect against the top three flu strains the CDC thinks will be a threat that year. So that's a great line of defense.

For me, in particular, I wondered, why did I get so sick, and not my husband or two daughters all who became sick days before me, and yet recoevered much much quicker and were never as sick as I. Yes, it's true, I have a long family heritage of smoking. I figure my lungs are in horrid shape.

But why now, why this year. Really, truly and seriously, it has always been me the one to not get sick. This year it was my son, which is nice for him, but dammit I wanted it to be me again.

So I think it may have had something to do with my lifestyle which has become increasingly sedentary over the last year and a half. My kids are older, they don't play with me so much anymore, I was laid off, I work from home now, and I have never before needed any kind of set exercise regimes and so I have never had any such.

Now I need it. And will be pursuing that in the new year as soon as I can breathe more fully, focus more productively and stay awake all day long again.

I'm sorry most of what I offer is aimed at prevention, but that is where I'm at now, what I've been reading on. 

Getting sick like this really sucks. I'm trying to look at it as an early warning. I feel so old and useless being sick like this.

Plus now I guess I have to quit smoking.

Do your joints hurt? Man that was horrible! Every single joint in my body was just like all painful and creaky. Plus my ears hurt alot.

Oh yeah, avoid dressing warm for bed. Coughing fits will make you overheat, then you'll start sweating and get the chills worse. Avoid heavy fleeces and long sleeved thermals in favor of loose flannels and t-shirts.

Stay hydrated. I know everything tastes funny and you have absolutely no appetite, but you MUST stay hydrated. Stock up on applesauce and jellos and brothy soups of varying varieties.

If it's the flu you could be looking at up to three weeks, but the worst of it should pass within 9-10 days. Bronchitis and pneumonia are possible serious developments, so watch out for that.

Good luck!

1. KristenGrace profile image60
      KristenGraceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Longest post I think I have EVER seen and or read on HP... Congrats on that... That was more detail than I've seen in (unnamed) hubs... tongue

Home Girl, do feel better - Best of luck sad Being sick is awful.

5. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Maybe it didn't help that you gave in to it and stayed in bed.  I'd think staying in bed all day can be the worst thing someone can do.  It lets the stuffiness and congestion build up and make a person feel horrible. 

My approach to colds is always just eat a lot of citrus fruit drops, take something (I take aspirin, but a lot of people don't)for any fever or sore throat, drink tea or ginger ale - and try to buck up and ignore it.  A hot shower and and some nice fresh air can make a person feel better, even if the cold is still there.  Putting up a little fight, and refusing to give in can work wonders for me.  (I don't think I know anyone who just goes to bed for the day, but I suppose if you had nothing else to do it may have made some sense to get some rest.)

What works for some people won't work for others, I guess; but ignoring it and just keeping going has pretty much always helped me keep colds from getting the upper hand.  They're miserable, but they pass.  Or, if you have children, maybe whatever advice you've given them would work.  Sometimes when we're not feeling well it can help to give ourselves the kind of compassion, advice, and care we'd show our children if they were the ones who weren't feeling well or had a problem.   smile  Hope you feel better.

6. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Crush some fresh garlic and sprinkle it on your food - great anti-viral.

Also hot whiskey, ginger and lemon - after a few you won't care about the cold!

7. Mittkontakt profile image59
    Mittkontaktposted 13 years ago

Your health issues are very familiar for me. Have just treated my throat. If you want to use natural methods,- drink warm honeywater, give your throat daily streching and yourself enough rest. Have you tried Tahitian Noni as well? I have excellent results with their special blend. with hot water,cayenne pepper, and marple syrup.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)