A little food for the average Liberal to chew on.

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (27 posts)
  1. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 13 years ago

Just last month the Federal Communications Commission did what a federal court informed them they did not have the authority to do, they voted to set up regulations for the internet and gave their initiative a placid little name, "Net Neutrality".  Way back in the summer of 2010 the Progressive Change Campaign Committee (notice they're Progressive, not Liberal) managed to get 95 democrats to agree to support the upcoming federal regulation of the internet.  November 2 of 2010 all 95 democrats LOST.  All 95.

Trend or Warning?

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow.
      If that's true, it doesn't sound like a coincidence to me.  Sounds more like a warning for sure.

2. profile image0
      Texasbetaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you even know what net neutrality is? What was passed was not regulating the internet, it was keeping it free.

The pledge reads as follows: "I believe in protecting Net Neutrality - the First Amendment of the Internet. The open Internet is a vital engine for free speech, economic opportunity, and civic participation in the 21st century. I stand with millions of working families and small businesses against any attempt by big corporations to control the Internet and eliminate the Internet's level playing field. In Congress, I'll fight to protect Net Neutrality for the entire Internet - wired and wireless - and make sure big corporations aren't allowed to take control of free speech online. Mark me down as a 21st century Internet champion!"

Your Republicans called it regulation, because you respond to those words without thinking. It was the Republicans who were cool with business regulating the internet themselves by deciding what content you could and could not view. Seriously folks, it only takes a little effort to understand what the heck is going on.

1. kerryg profile image84
        kerrygposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pwned indeed!

Tobey, I highly recommend you read up on Net Neutrality. This is a hugely important issue for internet marketers and online writers such as, oh, every single active member of HubPages.

http://www.savetheinternet.com/
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_neutrality

1. profile image0
          EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So basically, the opponents of Net Neutrality want to turn the Internet into something like today's cable/satellite TV services, where you have to buy access to bundles of channels rather than just being able to visit any channel you like, anywhere.

1. kerryg profile image84
            kerrygposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes.

2. Pcunix profile image90
            Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that's part of it, but it's not all of it.

For example, Comcast wants its customers to get fast paid movie downloads. That's important now and it is becoming more important every day.  They'd like to throttle back other traffic (like you downloading the same movie from Netflix) so that their stuff works better.

If all you want to do is watch Comcast movies, their wishes would be wonderful for you and them.

1. profile image0
              EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Comcast is presumably an ISP in the US that also does film downloads?  Eeek.  Outrageous! 

I think of the Internet as being a bit like one's electricity supply - you can run any appliance you like from your electricity supply, so why shouldn't you be allowed to download any type of films etc. you like off the Internet, and pay whoever provides said films etc.?

3. profile image0
      Texasbetaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Now, chew on that for a while.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
        Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LMAO ROFL

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
          Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What's amazing is that after a lie is exposed, a deception revealed, a fraud undone, they move without shame or penalty to the next con game.

1. Pcunix profile image90

Ayup.

Of course this particular subject is complex, and I really don't expect your average Tea Party ranter to have much understanding of it, so it does not surprise me that they will just assume malice without investigation.

1. Jim Hunter profile image61
              Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Stop with the RHETORIC and VITRIOL you're INFLAMING me.

If all I had to go by was your avatar pic, I might be worried smile

However, while there may be some folks here who wouldn't surprise me if they "went postal", I would be quite surprised if you did.

Is there some particular reason you want to derail this thread and turn it to that other controversy?

1. Jim Hunter profile image61
                  Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just seemed rather useless to call into question the intelligence of the "average" Tea Party member.

Please continue with the rhetoric.

So what's your informed opinion on net neutrality, Jim?

2. Jeff Berndt profile image73
        Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

pwned!

1. profile image0
          PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is not the first time and since he didn't learn from the past I'm sure it won't be the last.

3. Ms Dee profile image86
        Ms Deeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ohhhh, is it that, Texasbeta? Like what EmpressFelicity says?

4. Flightkeeper profile image67
      Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm wondering what recourse we have over the FCC since it ignored the federal court.  I don't put it past the Obama regime to ignore other rulings as well if it's starting to control a new media outlet.  Since this affects the communication companies, I'm surprised they have rolled over and let it happen.

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Maybe those 95 Democrats lost for other reasons.
    Like maybe they were featured on Sarah Palin's crosshairs map lol

3. I am DB Cooper profile image63
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

To the people on here who think it's a good thing that supporters of net neutrality lost their seats: do you even know what you're rooting for anymore? This isn't about Team Democrat vs. Team Republican, there are real issues at stake.

Net neutrality is an attempt to prevent internet providers from creating different tiers of the internet. Without legislation, ISPs would be able to give preference to certain websites (let's say Google for this example) while throttling traffic to other websites (let's say Hubpages). Visitors to Hubpages would get much slower service while visitors to Google would get very fast service. ISPs could charge website owners to have their websites load faster and/or they could charge individual customers, who would have to pay more if they want to be alloted more bandwidth to visit what the ISP deems "premium websites", which would be defined however the ISP wants to define it.

The fact is, unless you're stealing wifi from your neighbors, you already pay for access to the internet. If the ISPs are losing money, they should charge more for this service. They should not be picking and choosing which websites should cost more to visit (and basically targeting websites that can afford to pay up and need lots of visitors to pay the bills) or throttling the bandwidth for certain websites. If certain users are using too much bandwidth, throttle them or don't offer an unlimited bandwidth plan. They should not have control over what people are able to access online. This isn't China.

Unfortunately, the right automatically hates whatever their puppetmasters tell them to hate.

It's called GroupThink and it keeps their brains from hurting.

4. Joe Badtoe profile image60
    Joe Badtoeposted 13 years ago

I thought the topic was about net neutering!??

I got excited by the idea that we could endorse neutering some folk who can't stop disrupting forums and appear desperate to ensure they appear in virtually every topic on HP whilst contributing nothing but sarcasm to the debate?

I was about to put forward a couple of people to be the first ones to be neutered.....

Right wing fundamentalists can step forward now and save me naming them.....

The Kams (keyboard activated morons) need to lose their ability to procreate then we can get back to a world of peace and understanding.

Times like this I wish I was a Veterinary surgeon I would enjoy my work. Think I was too late for one of the Kams as it looks like his op was done without anaesthetic.

(curtains on stage slowly opening...and..here they come).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)