Amazon UK is Stingy!

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Susana S profile image93
    Susana Sposted 13 years ago

Finally got around to reading the TOS for Amazon associates UK (spurred on by seeing a measly 1.47% referral rate on a TV sold on my account) and found out the maximum they will pay out in fees on one item is £7 (10 Euros) except books, DVD's, MP3 downloads. How stingy is that!

1. thisisoli profile image70
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Seriously?

I might have to look in to that, might be worthwhile switching back to the 'classic plan' on that account if the Performance is making cuts like that.  Can you link to the source?

Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this
      2. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I thought Amazon UK only did a performance type plan?

2. Shinkicker profile image55
      Shinkickerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree, Amazon are very tight-fisted with the money

They are certainly a lot stingier than amazon.com, that's for sure.

2. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Just shows, THE FIRST thing you should do is read the TOS. I'm appalled at the number of hubbers who just rush past this. I work with over 1,000 merchants and I have read the TOS of every one of them. That's why I don't work with 2,000 merchants - their terms were trash.

I think part of it is that on HP you have such limited choices - so it's take Amazon, ebay or adsense or leave. Gets folks into the bad habit of not checking affiliate TOS on other sites or their own.

I've been adding a uk amazon link on some product hubs and didn't read the TOS because I assumed it would be much the same as amazon.com. I do read all TOS agreements normally.

3. Karen N profile image69
    Karen Nposted 13 years ago

1.47%!
    That's not even worth bothering with unless you sell a heck of a lot of stuff.

4. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I just read on their blog that the VAT has been increased to a massive 20%!! That is a shocker!!

Yes, VAT has gone up to 20% all over the UK sad

(Thanks for the sale BTW smile smile)

5. CASE1WORKER profile image60
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

yep VAT has gone up! a lot of the shops are trying to absorb the increase but obviously not amazon

6. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

I'm close to payout, so this is shocker to me. Anyway, it's in GBP at the end.  neutral

What do you mean sky? It's in GBP at the end?

Good that you're close to payout with them smile

1. skyfire profile image80
        skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks smile

I mean Amazon UK pays in pounds, right ? British Pound has more conversion rate than $ here. (It's my first payout with Non-US amazon site, so not sure about currency). AFAIK, except Amazon UK rest of the other european amazon affiliate programs pay in euro. neutral

Oh yes, it will be worth quite a bit more than dollars. I use XE currency converter to work out how much the equivalent is smile

7. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Oh man that sucks, I am 99% sure that cap was not always in place, they used to have a cap on electronics similar to the US, but this is not just a shocker, but a real kick in the teeth.  I was thinking of moving in to more high end products, but if that is my limitation I will just continue to sell low valut ****.

Yeah, it's pants. I'm in a similar boat - working on an electronics website that covers UK and US, but I might ditch the UK section now. Will have to give some serious thought as to whether it's worth the time and effort....

I'll still add an amazon UK link on my hubs, just because it's easy and it's starting to bring in a few quid...

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You could always look for other UK affiliate schemes?

There is a UK Best Buy I believe, other big businesses for electronics include:

Currys
        Comet
        eBuyer
        Play.com
        Argos

Sure there are more, but they may be worth checking out before you rush out and ditch the UK side.

Good thought. I'll have a look around and see which electronics companies offer an affiliate programme and which have the best %!

@Thomas - thanks for that. I'll check out Dixons, though 2% is pretty measly too.

1. ThomasE profile image68
            ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Affiliate programs in the UK are very stingy. Can't get away from it. But on the other hand, the first page of Google.co.uk is generally far less competitive than the first page of Google.com so there is far less work involved.

For example, I've been putting a little but of effort into getting one keyword ranked in google.com ... it is 12th place... but on google.co.uk even though I am on an American website, with American English, it is on 4th place.

If I had bought a .co.uk website, and put the same effort in, it would be ranked 1st, I think.

I agree it is a lot easier to rank high on google.co.uk for the reasons you stated. With my electronics website I've initially created a UK subdomain within the .com site, but I have been thinking I might be better off just having two websites one .co.uk and the other .com. More work, more cost, but it might turn out better in terms of revenue. I don't know tongue

2. ThomasE profile image68
        ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A lot of these affiliate programs have much longer cookies as well, for example dixons is 45 days, although it has a 2% commission on the lowest tier.

8. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

There is another factor to consider though, the UK offers an opportunity for greater conversion rates.

The online spend per capita in the UK is not beaten by any other country in the world, it is a Trillion pound plus market.

UK citizens spend more online as individuals than people anywhere else in the world. The items are more expensive too, so whilst your percentage is lower, your conversion rates and cost per item should theoretically be higher.

Well funny you should say that Ryan. I was just in my amazon.co.uk account and saw that my conversion rate was over 20%, which is a lot more than it is for my amazon.com account.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)