Do you believe you are Publishing when writing on the Net?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (27 posts)
  1. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

Or is publishing really still in hard or soft covered books, magazines newspapers etc?

I had a great debate recently with a friend of mine, who actually opened my narrow thinking but am curious;

Do you believe because a button says publish that you are publishing?  Again, just curious.

Thanks

Lyrics

smile

2. Hokey profile image61
    Hokeyposted 13 years ago

Publishing is the process of production and dissemination of literature or information – the activity of making information available for public view. In some cases authors may be their own publishers, meaning: originators and developers of content also provide media to deliver and display the content. The definition says so.....

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

um....ok?

3. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

based on the number of views I receive, I consider it more like literary masturbation, than publishing.

1. kirstenblog profile image79
      kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That sounds about right lol

2. profile image0
      Kathryn LJposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is sooooo profound and conjures up some rather revolting images.  It also implies that those publishing on hubpages are a set of ******** self abusers! smile

4. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I think so, and I have published and been paid for magazine articles also.

But far more people have read my web articles than ever read those magazines.

1. profile image0

See I find that to be the minority of people, both are masses of targets, but mostly in real world we are targeting a specific group, It can be done here too, but do we skew our hubs to specified groups = no - to social networks and google mostly

hmmmm.....

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Most of my on-line writing is designed for specific groups. Tech folks, self employed people mostly..

1. profile image0

True, just can't wrap my head around this is actually publishing.  Then a friend opened my mind that publishing has changed as the reader has changed, they read even the daily paper on line.  Never thought of that in that way before.  He has a good point.  I just loved publishing the books and magazines, for personal reasons, but the reader has changed, as have we

Thanks smile

5. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Does it matter? I don't really consider it publishing but that doesn't stop me from saying I publish articles online! lol

If the button tells me I can say I am publishing my writing then I am allowed to use the term even tho it feels like cheating. I always cheat in games anyway! lol

(you don't want to play monopoly with me thats for sure!)

6. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

I label myself as someone who sells stuff and writes effective marketing copy to do that - so I'm an affiliate marketer not a writer.

1. kirstenblog profile image79
      kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

and you are darned good at it too! lol big_smile

1. profile image0

concur smile

7. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

to be honest i dont think, i push the button and therefore I publish

1. profile image0

I'm with you.

8. camlo profile image85
    camloposted 13 years ago

Well, when I push the 'Publish' button, I am actually publishing. But I never compare it to publishing on paper, as it were.
    Actually, can Hubs really be considered 'Publications'?

1. profile image0

That's my point camlo, I struggle with this all the time, I'm fine if it read process or post now, publishing is a very loose term on the net

Could we publish 8 articles in print a day, possibly but with an editor and time lines I am scared to compare it at all

I guess hmm:

thanks smile

9. Victoria Stephens profile image74
    Victoria Stephensposted 13 years ago

I consider it as publishing your work, although I can still see an awful lot more appeal to people in seeing their work published in a book.xxx

10. profile image0

so are we publishing on hubs yes or no?

11. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

I absolutely think it is real publishing.  The act of publishing may have got a lot simpler and more democratic - but yes - it is real as far as I am concerned.

If you consider the garbage in say romantic fiction or the trash stories in the news media as being published - then everything on here is certainly worthy of the name.

What we do here in some cases (not mine) is more researched and knowledgable than a lot of the 'real' published stuff.

Publish worthy printed novel that 1000 people read and gets remaindered OR publish internet page that 500,000 people read?  Times have changed.

1. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Indeed.

Though figures can be misleading.  For example, Google Analytics tells me that I have had 10 million unique visitors in the last five years.  That's a figure far in excess of anything many authors in traditional media could ever claim.

But how many of my visitors know my name or even read anything more than the one thing that brought them to me? How many bounced immediately?

I would guess a few tens of thousands would even recognize my name and many of those might need some hints and prodding. 

So, yes, we are publishing and yes, we can have a lot of readers. But I'm not the same as someone who has sold a million books.

12. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

I think so because you can reach out to all the different kinds of people as long as you get the keywords people use to search for topics.
    that is the essence of publishing, to be able to read -- so online and offline ways of publishing are both ok.

I have publications as co author and author but mostly academic and I bet that I have more readership online than the academic publications I had before

13. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

The definition of publish says - to produce a book etc. for public sale; to make generally known.  So, I'd consider internet writing to be included in the etc. portion, and it is for public sale, technically with google adsense, right?  And, internet writing is made generally known, right?  So, I'd say, Yes!

1. profile image0

cool. Thanks  Rafini smile

1. Rafini profile image81
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

14. profile image0

big_smile  big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)