Sigh... Okay, why a 48?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (34 posts)
  1. artlader profile image59
    artladerposted 13 years ago

Not complaining, but I am a little puzzled.

Why is this such a bad hub? -- http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-succeed- … ost-family

Any ideas, Fellow-Hubbers?

Thanks,
    Art

1. leahlefler profile image95
      leahleflerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The score will generally rise over time. I would change the title to fit with the google adsense keyword tool suggestions- something like "Study Abroad: Tips for Exchange Students in Germany."

I'm a newbie, though, and the more experienced hubbers have better (though harshly worded) tips. Don't get discouraged: scores often fluctuate over the short term and generally rise over the course of time.

artladerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for that advice, leahlefler.

I am making that change.

It was very friendly of you to make that suggestions.

Regards,
        Art

2. artlader profile image59

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I appreciate your constructive input, , even if it stings a bit.

Regards,
      Art

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

one thing I've learned here, don't ever take anything personally!
        take what works, forget the rest. smile

Thank you , rebekahELLE,

I asked people what they thought, so I guess I ought to appreciate whatever feedback I get.

Ad I do appreciate constructive feedback. Really, I do.

Regards,
          Art

2. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

*sigh* ... because you just published it Art. Don't worry about it, it will rise over time.

If you write and publish a hub off the bat, or it's a saturated topic, they start off with a lower hub score. If you start one and leave it sat in your account and then publish - it will already have gained a better score  pre-publish.

Hope that helps smile

Thank you for that tip, Frogdropping.

It was kind of you to post it.

Regards,
      Art

3. Haunty profile image74
    Hauntyposted 13 years ago

Because it's anti-seo?

1. frogdropping profile image77
      frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is soooooo not helpful Haunty, very flippant lol Now you're supposed to explain why it's not SEO friendly *nods*

Made me giggle though!

Edit: I answered the title of the post, not your question in post Art. Sorry. It's not a bad hub.

1. Haunty profile image74
        Hauntyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, no, frog! The last time I explained the newbie was never seen again.

Ohhhhhkayyyyy Haunty. What did you say to them?

@ Pd - you go. And keep going lol - and next time try harder to say what you mean and mean what you say lol

I showed her your sunflower kitchen décor hub and explained why it looks the way it does. I think the easiest way to explain it is by showing an example. I picked our sunflower hub because it's an efficient one. Hope you don't mind. smile

Aha! So you're the reason it's been copied ad-nauseum huh?! wink

No - I don't mind really. It's not a good example anyway. Works - but could be better smile

lol

1. leahlefler profile image95
                  leahleflerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...Off to read the sunflower decor hub and learn a little something...

2. artlader profile image59

Thank you for replying to my question, Haunty.

Regards,
      Art

4. Mrs. J. B. profile image59
    Mrs. J. B.posted 13 years ago

Your score will change within hours. Things will get better.

Thank you for the reassurance, Mrs. J. B.

It was nice of you to post.

Regards,
      Art

5. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

First Up... You Published this only 8 hours ago and have not had any commenting traffic - which has marked it up.

BTW
    I will tell you straight!
    You asked - I'll tell you honestly - Not stroke your ego!

I am a Kiwi - with a web presence in both the States and Germany, so I will Speak from my experience!

1) Lose the Photo and don't replace it with a pic that has any religious or political intimation! - It can be taken as bad taste and it sets the level of the readers expected experience.

2) It's Not a Hub about YOU - lose all reference to you, your experience etc.

3) "Don't open your big, fat mouth to criticize or compare the way Germans do things until you have thought a little." - Why would you assume your readers are like this? - Pretty damn judgmental for a reference guide! - Have you even considered WHO is likely to read this work?

4) Stand back and READ IT - From another person's perspective - What are you doing in this? Are you approaching it from your reader's perspective.. would you appreciate the WAY you are Speaking to them? - You need to Not Talk Down to your readers!

5) Improve your layout - mix it up add photos - a video - break up that Bank of Solid Text.

6) Know What Keywords you were trying to use... and use them throughout your hub. (subtly)

7) Have a summary of the points - don't invite your readers to add to the points you have made.. show them that you know what you are talking about.

8) Make it more User Friendly - by splitting it into 2 views - the things that you will be required to do - And the things you wish your hosts to do!

9) Stop Talking to Kids here - Talk to the parents - who will decide if the article is worth referring to their kids!

10) Write this as the Keystone to 5 similar hubs on the subject - if you think you are any good at growing this subject, then don't restrict it to simply Germany... THINK ABOUT THIS!

Had enough? hmm

This is NOT Your Best Effort at Writing and as a Reader I Can see that... what does that mean to me then... Average Effort = Average Writer!  I want to learn from people who are Above Average - Don't You? Don't Your Readers? smile

The Effort is Worth it... Have a look at the layout on one or two of mine... you can return the favor and critique them if you wish... Good Luck.

Thank you for your advice, Pearldiver.

> You asked - I'll tell you honestly - Not stroke your ego!

Yes, I did. And I appreciate your constructive criticism. Maybe I need to completely rework this hub.

The only other Kiwi i know is a hot-shot Moodle programmer and she, too, is direct. Something in the water, perhaps.

Regards,
      Art

1. Pearldiver profile image68
        Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Art.. I'm glad you have taken what I have said the Correct way!
        I notice (perhaps as Germans do) that unless you are from the US one almost has to put up a Disclaimer to get a point across.
        Yes I am direct and I speak with an 'accent' - which may well be hard for some 'newbies' who don't know Kiwis, to appreciate
        - but I don't generally open my mouth unless I know what I'm taking about.. and most Kiwis are like this.

I completely understand what you are trying to achieve and am merely telling you that you have a good niche here if you build it - and don't restrict your ability to do that by killing your first in what should be a series of at least 5 hubs!

Worth ReWorking It Mate and explore the things that have been offered. Design a series strategically and there lies the key to the whole exercise. But take your time to get it right.

Good Luck - look forward to seeing you achieve your goals! smile

@ Mrs. J.B. - You don't know me either, to offer such arrogant advice... This was an Extreme Makeover forum for the OP - I don't need spectators criticizing my efforts with snide remarks!
        So please... enough - and.. Age (from experience) Does Not Always a Wise Soul Make! As I said... I make no apology for my candor - and it WAS Directed at another party (who appeared to appreciate it) - Not at You! - You rudely butted into my conversation.. not the other way round... Surely Age would have taught you the folly of such? smile

6. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Happy to Take Fool Responsibility For the Bolter FD big_smile

I'm practicing being a Nice person big_smile

- You're Banned!!!

smile

*sighs again ... ohh the young and the old but foolish* Pd you can't randomly ban me, only on the correct thread.

Go take a walk, clear the cobwebs. I fear age is slowly getting a grip ...

Now see what you've done Haunty roll

7. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I do think this title may work better also. You want a specific audience to find your hub. I would probably move the image to the right, making it smaller. Although students will 'get' the image, you want the focus to be on your content. I would highlight your keywords.

I'm sure most of us have had hubs that go backwards first, but it will pick up. If it keeps going lower, then you know something is off. I'm sure you'll see it rise, some hubs take longer to climb, it's perfectly normal. Clearly you understand the subject, and it is informative and helpful.

Thank you for the advice, rebekahELLE.

I am working on it.

Regards,
      Art

8. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 13 years ago

The score will come up eventually but if it bothers you so much, next time leave it in drafts for about 24 hours and the score will come up to about 51+, then click on Publish.

I used to do that a year ago, but now I don't worry myself over it. smile

Thank you for the tip, Lady_E.

That was nice of you.

Regards,
      Art

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can do better than that if it really bothers you (although it shouldn't).  I have a hub I started a couple of weeks ago, but still need to flesh out one text capsule before I publish it.  The last time I looked it had a score of 71.  Nine views (all mine of course), no comments (of course), and no ratings.  Nevertheless it has risen to 71.

The ways of the hub score are as inscrutable as Yoda is! big_smile

> The ways of the hub score...

Ahhh, now I begin to I seeeeee. ;-)

Thank you for your feedback, wilderness.

Regards,
          Art

9. Mrs. J. B. profile image59
    Mrs. J. B.posted 13 years ago

If you like what you write about, do not worry about some of the very harsh negative responses you have recieved.
    Pearl Diver draw back your claws

1. Pearldiver profile image68
      Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Excuse Me? What is this BS?

Before People Start Abusing Me for being Direct to Someone In The EXTREME MAKEOVER Forum... Take the time to get your own facts straight!

3) "Don't open your big, fat mouth to criticize or compare the way Germans do things until you have thought a little."

The Above 'Comment' was written by Art in his own words, within his hub and NOT BY ME!
      - If you had actually read the original hub tabled here.. then no doubt you are aware of this.

As Far as 'My Claws' are concerned... they were not part of my assessment... unless of course you are referring to my directness, which I make no apology for in a forum designed to HELP Hubbers with Constructive Critique! Don't Even Intimate that my remarks were Negative!
      Before You Criticize Me as a person... Take the time to understand what was said In Context - If you knew my work, you may find yourself adrift in your hasty and thoughtless judgment! smile

1. Mrs. J. B. profile image59
        Mrs. J. B.posted 13 years agoin reply to this

WOW... You do not even know me well enough to go off like. I am probably old enough to be your Mother. Next with the way you responded to Art's question was a bit brutal. I simply said that you need to draw back your claws.

10. profile image0
    Norah Caseyposted 13 years ago

Closing this thread. If the OP would like to contact HubPages staff directly for help, please do not hesitate to do so.

For those who have encouraged me to close this thread:
    This section of the HubPages forums is for supporting new members.  If you feel compelled to address personal problems you have with one another, do so privately.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)