The Best Strategy of Asking and Answering Questions on HubPages

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. kallini2010 profile image80
    kallini2010posted 13 years ago

I have been on HubPages only for two months.  I did not think that "Asking & Answering Questions" was a complicated matter.

But I have come across a question that if you ask a question and then answer it with your own hub, it is "faking it".  My understanding was that I only ask questions that I am interested in.  But my intention was also not to gain "electronic statistics of being active", but to round up "The Q & A" section with my own hub.  Out of 31 questions, I only wrote two hubs so far, but I still want to write on those topics (questions) that I posted.  I did not have in mind self-promotion.  If hubbers don't want to read, they won't.  Most answers are superficial anyways.  What do you think?

Again, I am asking this question in the Forum section because Forum allows discussion rather than "A Question" followed by answers and little opportunity for a dialogue.  But while I am waiting (hopefully) for getting a good answer I want to write a hub on my "Q & A" activity because it became so confusing by now.

Thank you everyone,  kallini2010

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

A hub represents the answer. If you know the answer, why ask the question? I can see why some people would find that resembles self-promotion, and that is not what questions and answers are for.

Another way to look at it is that someone is asking others for answers to quietly do research for a hub. I find that not too polite, either.

This said, there has to be room for exceptions. If the questions don't yield the desired answers, and you decide to do further research on the issue, then supposedly you could end up writing a hub about it and link that to the question.

kallini2010posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Website Examiner!

You see, I don't view it in this way.  The questions I ask cannot be researched.  I only ask for opinions.  I never have a hub written before and waiting to be published.  So the answers or lack thereof influence my "Rounding Up Hub".  I think it is polite to finish answering your own question.  In a sense, if I ask you a question "How do you feel about this and that?", I can never predict the answer.  That is what I want -- personal associations, something that makes people think for themselves, something that is neither right or wrong.

For example, I was going to write about my 14th anniversary of landing in Canada.  It is a very personal experience and there is no research possible.  I came across an article that Toronto had been nicknamed El Toro.  I had no associations - I could not connect an Norht American city with a Spanish Bull.  I was thinking.  Bulls. Spanish. Tauruses.  But what has Toronto to do with all that?

Then I asked my friends on FB - no response.  Nothing.  Then I decided to ask a question on HubPages.  One response came - yet the person overlooked the part saying that "El Toro" is Toronto.  What was wonderful about the answer - she mentioned that the city El Toro, California, used to have an Air Base.  As far-fetched as it might be, it gave me a connection to a winged (Flying) Bull.  I did not expect that answer.  But I wrote my hub differently.  I connected Bulls, Spanish language, Assyria, Babylon, etc.  It is hard to come up with something like that.

There was another surprise.  After I was struggling to get any reaction to my going on about "Toronto El Toro" - there was a hub written as an answer to my question.  I was amazed.

Out of all my questions, I think there are at most three hubs in response.  Most answers are really nothing but earning "electronic statistics".

It gave me another idea - an idea for another hub.  So I see it more as a creative process.

There was a question I asked, very simple, yet it was not about research.  It was about understanding. 

How do you understand the quote by Nietzsche "Love is not consolation. It is light."?

Very simple.  Keep in mind three words only.  Love. Consolation. Light.

I am sorry to say but it seemed that people are not capable of either reading or keeping in mind only three words.

There is no right or wrong answer for that.  Only your personal perception.  I cannot research your perception.  You cannot research mine.  No matter how many times you read what I write, you still have no idea what comes next.  Because I grow.  So do you.  That is the point of my questions.  That is the point why I want to write hubs and let others, if they are interested (I doubt it) to know my point of view.  None of those are written yet.  But I don't want a "guided" discussion.  Did you notice how a few answers start influencing the next ones?

*******************************************************************************

Can you support the statement "Creativity Plus Unemployment Equals Art?"

I don't own the expression. I took it from the article "Stupid Jobs Are Good to Relax With" by Hal Niedzviecki

********************************************************************************

To me this question is like a canvas - just paint.  How many answers did I get.  Right.  Zero.  But the reason I have not answered it yet, I am still struggling with this hub.  I keep a journal and I jot some ideas from time to time.  But this one is not even half-baked, I haven't shopped for ingredients yet.  Maybe I have not made a list, so to speak.

What I love is when somebody answers the question with a hub.  And I got it with two questions where I least expected.  "How do we deal with contempt?" and "What associations do you have if you are to visit El Toro?"

I still don't know how to deal with contempt.  Other people accused me of looking down on them.  The question is still burning.  But the hub that was written was wonderful "In Contempt of Contempt".  It is a gem.  A gem, but not an answer.  How ironic!

In my opinion, it is unfair to say that answering your own question with a hub is unfair or it is a act of self-promotion.  Anyone can answer a question with a hub, can't he/she?  To find anyone who is worse at self-promotion than I you have to search far and wide.  For two months being here and 24 hubs and 42 followers, I got only 1300 views, part of which are my own.  I am not good at self-promotion.  I am creative person, not a business person.  Sadly, but true.

I think that asking meaningless questions and giving meaningless answers is unfair and should be discouraged.

But it is my opinion.  As we know, opinions are opinions, they are not facts, they are neither right nor wrong.

Strangely, there are other sections that I find unfair.  One of my hubs was nominated for "The HubPages Top of the Class Contest".  The way the voting goes - the participant with most connections willing to vote for him/her wins.  And since I am really not a SELF-PROMOTER, I failed to ask.  I did not feel comfortable.  If I knew the algorithm, I would have or could have won.

But is this fair?  Should it not be a panel of independent and impartial judges?

I am not complaining, I am discussing.  I did not know about the time frame for voting.  If I did, I could have won.  I summed up the courage eventually.  It is a lesson for me.  I learn quickly, believe me.

Yes, I am a writer and more humanitarian in nature, yet, I have Masters in Engineering.  I understand more than I am given credit for.

With forums I had really good experience.  But as far as I can remember, I only started three.  This one, about choosing a fragrance (and I did not write a hub, but I got wonderful advice) and about boys - late bloomers (I got wonderful advice as well). 

And to reiterate - No, I did not KNOW the answers to any of my Forum Topics.  It is all work in progress.

I hope that what I said is convincing enough.  If not, please let me know

because it is what I asked for - the BEST STRATEGY

Thank you very much in advance

1. Anita Hasch profile image59
        Anita Haschposted 23 months agoin reply to this

First time I read your reply to what seems a stupid reply to your question. Self promotion? Loved your answer.

3. To Start Again profile image71
    To Start Againposted 13 years ago

It does seem like self promotion in a way, even if it wasn't intended. Like WE said, if you know the answer, why ask the question? Just write the hub in the first place.
    If you are wanting others opinions on the subject and wanting to get thoughts from other hubbers on a topic, then post the question in the forums. Like you said, its a place for discussion.
    The question answer sect is more a place to ask about something you need help with, want to know more about or are interested in. Not just asking the question and then also saying well here's what I already wrote about it.

There are so many questions floating around out there, why add more when you already have your answer? Hubbers can search out your hub just as easily as searching out your question.

This is a continuation of the first answer, but to simply tell you --

if I had an answer and a written hub before asking the question

don't you think I would have used the opportunity to publish them all?

Question - Hub
      Question - Hub
      Question - Hub.

No, there are only two hubs - for my 31 questions.  The rest is all work in progress.  Mostly in my mind.

4. profile image0

kallini, as you can see, and should not have failed to acknowledge, I did write in my 3rd paragraph that there has to be room for exceptions. Indeed, the examples that you give may fall under that class of exceptional cases that I mentioned.

The best strategy is to ask and answer questions in the spirit of the community. Use this service in the manner that was intended by those who created it, and in a way that other members of the community will be able to understand and appreciate.

Website Examiner,

Thank you for answering.  I have not failed to acknowledge your third paragraph.  I happen to be a good reader  in a sense that I don't skip the lines.

The strategy that I used until now was simple

Ask the question - wait for answers (hopefully at least 10) - write a hub to conclude.

That was a rule.  Then all my questions - answers/hubs become an exception.

I was wondering whether it is against the rules.

As go along I learn and there were two mishaps.

One question was considered "adult content"

*******************************************************************************
      The Academy of Sexual Arts.  What subjects should be taught and how to test the progress in learning?"
      ********************************************************************************

It was inspired by the fact that in every subject and trade, there can be school and the way to compare ourselves to others, but not in intimacy.

But I meant it more in a comical way

-- I am good lover.
      -- Who told you?  Your mother?

But I can see the reasoning behind closing the question, it can evoke quite undesirable feedback.

Even though I am still not quite sure how adult content is dealt with here because I saw hubs on the topic.

My thinking was fairly innocent.

But the reason for closing my second question was quite strange.

I don't want to marry a father figure.

there was an explanation there that no longer available, that I don't really understand why people marry someone 20 or 30 years senior.

Consistent with my statistics, it brought only two answers, one of which was a question.  A ridiculous at that.

Then my  question was closed "because it resembled a discussion".  It resembled nothing of the kind.

I did not answer the question, I was waiting for more feedback.

So the reason I started this forum and asked questions is precisely  that I don't want to break a rule and then get either my question removed or my hub removed (it takes time and effort to write a good one).

I am like in this anecdote.

-- I am good writer.
      -- Who told you?  Your mother?

LOL

So, I guess I continue with my strategy for now as long as it is not against the rules.

Thank you for time and help,

5. profile image0

You are welcome. I wouldn't worry too much about the rules here. The reason is simple: If you were prohibited from writing a hub about your own questions, and link from the question to your hub, then you wouldn't technically be able to do so. Because that option would have been blocked a long time ago.

So all you have to rely upon is your own best judgment. Some may frown upon it, but you can't please everyone.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)