Advice to stop a puppy chewing?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (21 posts)
  1. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Anyone got any? Patchy, not content with chewing my plant pots in the yard (I had several hundred)has taken to chewing the settee throws in the night while we are sleeping. He's almost 7 months old. We know he is teething. What can we give him to stop him from chewing things he isn't supposed to chew?

1. recommend1 profile image61
      recommend1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I used those hide bones - dried strips of cow or pig skin that take them all night to chew.  They turn into a soggy mess if the dog can't completely get through them - but that better than the furniture slowly disappearing.  Then you can reinforce the telling off with the offer of an alternative.

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks I was wondering if something like that would work. I know the hide bones you mean. Will get some as soon as.

2. Vivian Gomez profile image59
      Vivian Gomezposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ice cubes! it will numb the pain. good luck!

1. IzzyM profile image87

Thanks Vivien, but he is really  a happy little dog who never complains. He only chews when we are sleeping, apart from his taste for plant pots.

3. pylos26 profile image71
      pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Chop its tail off...right behind the ears. just kidding.

2. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

Catching them in the act is always good. Act really crazy, put on a show if you want. You might not even have to act depending on whats being chewed!

I'd say bones are a great idea. My dogs pictured never chewed(just realized this).. But my oldest one (not pictured) used to chew everything up, but bones quickly fixed it. Not only that, it keeps their teeth clean and the breath kind of in check.

1. IzzyM profile image87

I am usually up until at least 4am and he is sleeping when I go to bed. My partner gets up at 9am and the damage is done. I think I should stay up till 6am and the day shift should take over!

3. ediggity profile image61
    ediggityposted 13 years ago
    1. IzzyM profile image87

That's a product to spray on the furniture to deter him? Hmmm...sound ground up black pepper, or even better some chilli seeds scattered around, might do the job cheaper. The poor wee soul needs something to chew. Bones or chews sound a better idea!

1. Sarah Griffith profile image67
        Sarah Griffithposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Where is he during the night? At 7 months he's probably not old enough to have free range in a room unsupervised. If he's chewing than he's obviously not sleeping, do you think his sleep schedule could be off? He could be sleeping too much during the day. It really helps if he has the same schedule every night. If he's only chewing at night, he might just be bored.
        I've used bitter apple on wood furniture and it worked great but not so well on fabric. For the chewing, try getting marrow bones, stuff them with wet dog food and freeze them. The cold helps sooth his gums and it takes a while to eat so it's a good activity.

4. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Thanks Sarah, sounds like a good idea smile

5. Annie Em profile image59
    Annie Emposted 13 years ago

We have a year old Black Lab and he chews incessantly.

One of the best things we found are the 'plastic' bones you can get from pet shops, (not the rubber ones - he just chews those into little pieces)They are virtually indestructible and come either beef or chicken flavoured. In the UK, they are around the £5 - £10 mark, depending on the size that would be right for your puppy. Murphy has a sensitive tummy and the rawhide type chews used to upset him (not pleasant!).

I think he is still a little bit too young to be trusted on his own at night. Try introducing a crate for nightime. Murphy loves his - we turned it into a kind of den, with his bed inside and a cover over the top etc. It did take him a little while to settle in there happily,  but we found an old unwashed t-shirt comforted him. He gets crated at night, with at least one chew bone to keep him amused - which saves the table legs etc!

In the meantime, a very firm "no!" Good luck.

6. Aiden Roberts profile image68
    Aiden Robertsposted 13 years ago

Hi Izzy

Drives you mad doesn't it.

Ice cubes were a favourite if mine, Kong dog toys with a taste of something nice inside usually keep them busy for hours. You could try a cage if you haven't already or maybe a goos run before bed and pray he sleeps right through.

Good luck it should pass.

7. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

i'm not a vet.. but how about removing teeth?

My grandpa can't even eat soup without his dentures on

1. IzzyM profile image87

big_smile big_smile big_smile

8. Hugh Williamson profile image74
    Hugh Williamsonposted 13 years ago

Puppy chewing isn't really a behavioral problem -- it's just what they do at that age, esp. when they're teething.

As was suggested, you should begin crate training and it's best started at night, when the puppy's tired anyway.

Good Luck.

9. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the advice everyone. It'll pass as he gets older, and ice cubes are a great idea.
    I found the best way to stop it is to kick the other half out of bed at 6am to keep an eye on him!

10. chirls profile image71
    chirlsposted 13 years ago

Sounds like you have received some good advice. My puppy is around the same age, and he's not a big chewer now although he used to be worse. When he was teething really badly we used to fill one of those rubber Kongs with peanut butter and stick it in the freezer for a few hours or overnight then give it to him. He loved it and would chew on it for ages. Even though he's a bit less of a chewer now, we still make sure he always has some rawhide or other chew toy to gnaw on.
    Getting your other half to keep an eye on him is a good strategy, too! wink

11. Purple Perl profile image50
    Purple Perlposted 13 years ago

Just get him some chewsticks from the pharmacy. Mine stopped chewing slippers and all else once he got to play with chew toys and nibbled on his edible chewsticks,chicken and beef flavored.

1. Friendlyword profile image60
      Friendlywordposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You don't know teething till you have a pit bull puppy. Chew toys! HA HA! They disappear in minutes. She has a foot long, brick hard beef bone now; she stays occupied for hours trying to eat it up. She is so happy and healthy with her bone. But, she still has a taste for my new shoes. The only thing I can do is keep everything I want to keep, out of her sight and reach.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)