Who translated the scriptures and how do we know they're accurate?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (28 posts)
  1. lucieanne profile image69
    lucieanneposted 13 years ago

Whenever people quote the bible they always say things like 'Verily I say unto thee' and words that no longer exist in our modern vocabulary. I'm sure Jesus - if he ever said the words at all- didn't use that particular terminology, so how do we know that the bible has been translated accurately? Where are the original scriptures now? Can anyone actually translate from the originals any more or is it always just going to be an up-to-date copy of the King James version?

1. kess profile image60
      kessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

One can never understand the truth about the scriptures by searching the scriptures out Themself....

Truth was never nor can it ever be written in a book......

Remember the God man himself said ..even the world cannot be filled with the things that can be written about Him (Truth)

1. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Isn't that a bit of a contradiction? didn't you get that statement from a book?

1. kess profile image60
          kessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Understand there is Truth and the rest are merely images....

Have you realise that you still referring to the image as Truth...

So the confusion which sees contradiction is still yours

2. tmbridgeland profile image80
      tmbridgelandposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can find the scriptures translated into perfect modern language, in literally thousands of languages. I enjoy the King James for its poetic language, and because I simply enjoy reading early English, but for study I use newer versions. We have copies of some of the New Testament going back nearly to the first century, in the original Greek, which many thousands of scholars around the world read perfectly well, though that is a complex and subtle language, so there are considerable disagreements as to meanings in some critical passages.

Jesus himself probably spoke Aramaic, a semitic language related to Hebrew, and he probably was familiar with Greek as well, or at least with Greek philosophy, since some of his lessons reference Greek thought.
      Go to a modern church today, and you probably won't find the scripture read in antique English, depending on the denomination.

3. profile image0
      just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They have older texts than the king james,  but you're right. Even the omission of a single word will change the whole intent of the passage, so it's important to know the people translating don't have a hidden agenda. I use a translation that used a team from several different protestant sects, on each book of the Bible and then their translation had to pass a board review. Even with that I'll cross reference several other translations if there is a passage in the New Testament discussing something particularly important.

1. libby101a profile image60
        libby101aposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree! Some words may have been changed... and no doubt it would change an entire meaning... however you must study and know the original language and have a sense of their time! Also, one must read every thing around those translations... you can't take one verse and say well that word was changed.... look at the verses around that one in question... does it go against what the meaning says.. .or does it establish it?

4. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

From Wikipedia

The fifty-four independent scholars, who revised extant English bibles, drew significantly on Tyndale's translations to create the King James Version (or final "Authorized Version") of 1611 (still in mainstream use today). One estimation suggests the King James New Testament is 83.7 % Tyndale's and the Old Testament 75.7 %.[2]

If I am not mistaken, it was a Tyndale bible published in 1866 or 1867 that my great grandmother had that I had privilege to read a little of when I was a teen.  Wish I still had it.
         I do remember a few things that I read that people today think would consider as blasphemy, cause it isn't in the KJV.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
        couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Also, early Roman churches, no doubt, edited books to suit their authority.  Probably much has been eliminated or changed.

1. Jerami profile image58

I swear, I read in the bible of my great grandmothers a conversation that Jesus had with his disciples  ...

When Jesus was talking about his upcoming departure, one of the disciples ask,
             "when is your birthday that we might celebrate it after you are gone, and
            Jesus answered; Do not celebrate the day that I came into this world, if you must, celebrate the day that I leave it" 
            Or something  very close to that.

2. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd believe that, people thinking the King James was the most authoritative text. I heard one time someone said ' if the King James was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me.' Seems she thought that was the original text.

1. Jerami profile image58

It has been a while ago that I had read it, that the KJV was not the version of choice until the turn of the 20th century,

And in fact,  until about this time the futurists view was a small minority. The Majority of believers held the historicists  point of view.

5. BlackRod profile image53
      BlackRodposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The King James version was researched and translated from ancient Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic by his Clergy.  The accuracy of the Scriptures can be proved by the vast amount of scripts and historical documents at the time.

Also, the Dead Sea Scrolls discovered in 1947, verified the accuracy of the old testiment.

6. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The scriptures are not accurate because they don't consist of Word of Revelation from the Creator-God on Jesus; Jesus also did not write them or dictate them or authorised anyone to write on his behalf. The scirptures have been written unauthorised by the sinful scribes.

2. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I read them in the original Greek and can verify the translations into English are accurate smile

lol  Oh, you're serious?

1. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

seldom

3. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

They hired a proofreader on oDesk, he had high test scores in English and Greek proficiency.

Was he one of the disciples?

1. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't be silly.. the internet wasn't invented until 1306 AD..... by Al Gore

I knew you looked familiar.

2. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, but he had a good feedback rating, he got 5 stars for some articles about paintballing. And plus he was cheap at $10 an hour.

Wow.  I think Joseph charged more than that to put a house up.  And he didn't have to Google for blueprints.

1. profile image0
            ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Labour intensive that is though, construction tends to pay well smile And plus, Joseph had to pay off his credit card after he bought an expensive technicolour dreamcoat! Or was that a different Joseph?

lol  Joseph THE carpenter????  Hello.  Bible 101.  Go to the rear of the class and think about what you've done.

4. profile image52
    Elisah1957posted 13 years ago

The Torah, being in Christian terminology the “old testament” was given to Moses translated by G-d. The New testament was derived from scrolls written by Jewish scholars and the disciples whom were followers of Our L-rd Yeshua. Christianity began approximately 300-400 years after Our L-rd Yeshua (His death) and His return to the Father in Heaven.

The converted Gentiles along with the aide of Jewish scribes viewed the manuscripts from the scrolls but the Gentile scholars deleted many things from the newly formed Christian Journal “The King James Bible”. The reason for this action was for fear of anarchy against the power of the government, at that time being the power of the Roman Empire, for fear of giving the people to much hope and power in G-d, which was felt would reduce the fear of the ruling powers. The Greeks whom believed their god being that of zeus brought about the name of Jesus derived from the Latin Greek Goddess “Lesus” meaning zeus. The King James Bible list this name “Lesus” when referring to Jesus. There has never been an Israelite by the name of Jesus, for the Hebrew alphabet did not contain the letter (J). The letter (J) came about 378 years ago, being one of the new letters of the English alphabet. The term Jew did not exist (It was Israelite) nor was the word Jerusalem (It was Salem).

The Jewish texts explain far more information than held in the Christian text, allowing one more detail in the events and people from the beginning (creation) to the works of Our L-rd Yeshua. There are also the separate complete, indept Jewish writings of  the lives of all the Kings of Israel, the prophets and important events. This information keeps one from confusion.

The language of the Israelites was Hebrew and Aramaic, Aramaic being a close cousin to Hebrew for both are semitic languages; although, if one spoke in the synagogue (Temple) the language would have been in “The Holy Tongue” (Hebrew). In scripture, G-d speaks of when in the time of His new Kingdom, He says (Zephaniah 3:9) At that time I will change the speech of my returning people to pure Hebrew so that all can worship the L-rd together.

The Israelites and the Muslims are cousins. The line of Esau and Jacob (brothers). From Jacob came the Israelites and Esau by marrying into the descendants of Abraham son Ishmael (the son of the African, Egyptian slave girl) produced the nation of Muslims, which is why the Jews and the Muslims have such similarities with eating habits and prayer. The Muslims and the Jews are continuously fighting a spiritual battle one being related to the stolen birthright between Esau and Jacob and it will continue until G-d put an end to it all.

The confusion from the blotted word of G-d was done by way of the adversary (satan) to confuse the Gentiles “The returning children of G-d” to foster destruction. Those of Jews, he (satan) used the faith and trust they have in G-d (that is the) holding firm to the Law giving to Moses to abstain their salvation. This is why G-d says to those responsible for such confusion, sourced in (Hosea 4:6...) My people are destroyed because they don't know me.

The greatest weapon of satan is using racism to obscure the truth!

Ethiopian Messiah Jew

1. lucieanne profile image69
      lucieanneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow Elisah - you really know your stuff. Thanks for your comment. It's cleared up quite a few of my questions regarding the bible. At least now I have a foundation stone to build on, to enable me to trust what I'm reading. I always believed the KJV to be a fairytale, but that doesn't stop me believing in God. I just need to know that what I'm reading is FACT, instead of the BS I read in the bible.
      Just one question - why did it take 300 years (after the death of Christ) for Christianity to be recognised?

1. profile image52
        Elisah1957posted 13 years agoin reply to this

No great empire ever lasted longer than (200) years, with the exception of Rome, which began it's ruling authority during (450 BC) and lasting (700) years.The Romans intermingled their divinities (Gods) with those of the Greeks; worshiping  more than (24) Gods between the both of them.

The reason why christianity took (3-4) hundred years in it's establishment, was first G-d the Father prophecy of His wrath against Israel had to be fulfilled, which is why in scripture, it foretells why our L-rd Yeshua wept for Jerusalem (Salem) Luke 19:41(But as they came closer to Jerusalem and He saw the city ahead, He began to cry) for Yeshua knew the outcome of Jerusalem after His departure. The reading from (Luke 21:20-24) explains the events to occur against Israel by the ruling Roman empire, for, already at present the Israelites were ruled by Rome and manipulated by their own religious rulers  having their own self-interest (The Pharisees). Some time after Yeshua departure, Jerusalem was besieged through Roman invasion. The Israelites barricaded themselves within the walls out of fear, in time food diminished and they began to eat their own waste, children and the soles of their own sandels.

The disciples of Yeshua continued in their journey to convert many Gentiles to salvation and trained others to follow after their departure.The task was great for many worshiped false God's and gave their pledge to ruling authorities. The Roman Empire would torture and execute all to follow the teachings of Yeshua for fear of the fall of their power. It is very frightening to the spirit of one with no faith in G-d, when to witness another laying fearlessly down his life for G-d. This frightened the Roman Empire. “The loyalty of the Israelites”. Religion became a threat.

The converted Gentiles began to populate throughout time, generating mass multitudes. During the fall of the Roman Empire, the Romans decided to use religion in order to continue and maintain as a powerful empire, for they realized the strength one can have by the power of religion. The artistic achievements of both the Romans and Greek contributions, the Romans being acclaimed to having most of the educated and elite citizens gave to them an affordable opportunity; using religion as their new found power, missionaries were sent throughout the provinces as disciples but using G-d word not for salvation but through twisted treachery to fuel power for themselves. Many could not read so therefore relyed on the priests to answer any question before G-d on their behalf, those able to read, the King James Bible was written and scriptures omitted, the terminology inscripted for to confuse information so not to completely understand, so that one would not gain to much faith over the empire but still rely upon the rulers that be.

Michelangelo, Picasso and da Vinci were the few of many artist that contributed to the works of the Roman Empire during the beginning of the Pre-Christian Rome. The artist were threatened by pain of death if not to participate in the sculpture and paintings of biblical material. The ancient biblical paintings done of Michelangelo, the holy men of the bible were done by models from men drinking in Pubs “Taverns”. These artist did not want to do this work for the Roman Empire but feared the consequences.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)