What translation do you use when you study the Bible? and Why?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Rev. Akins profile image69
    Rev. Akinsposted 13 years ago

What translation do you use when you study the Bible? and Why?

I often wonder which bible people use when they study scripture. I have used several in my time as a minister and while I was studying to be a minister. But what do you use when you study scripture and why do you use that particular translation (or interpretation depending on the bible)?

2. Jeromeo profile image61
    Jeromeoposted 13 years ago

New World Translation, makes it easier to understand.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 13 years ago

I use the New King James and a Parallel Greek translation.  I have found that King James appears to be closest to the Greek.  My husband is a Lutheran pastor so I have been able to see quite a few translations.  I don't care for the NIV, lots of liberties taken in the language there--but that is the one our church uses.

4. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 13 years ago

With the help of pastors of a Messianic Jewish congregation that speak Hebrew and professors of our Bible College, I study the original Hebrew and Greek, along with the meanings of the Hebrew word pictures that are the actual letters of the words. To this we add the recorded customs and histroy of the OT and NT era(s). All this makes the bottom line truth, imo.

I am looking to purchase a parallel Bible right now - Hebrew and Greek with the literal translations alongside, and all that alongside the history and customs. It's been a long time since I've seen one.

5. aka-dj profile image64
    aka-djposted 13 years ago

I also use the NKJV.
    Mainly because I was brought up (er..as an adult, but baby Christian) in a church that used the old KJV exclusively.
    I had no trouble whatsoever getting the "thee's and thou's", still don't, but it helps when quoting the scriptures these days, as a lot of people just don't understand the old, KJV.

6. Born Again 05 profile image79
    Born Again 05posted 13 years ago

I use both the KJV and the NKJV. I'm comfortable with both. I believe the true meaning of God's Word is preserved in these versions. NKJV is a bit easier to read than the KJV.

7. Dexter Yarbrough profile image70
    Dexter Yarbroughposted 13 years ago

The KJV and the NKJV. However, since the Old Testament was written originally in Hebrew and the New Testamant in Greek, it is essential to have a good concordance or Hebrew bible with definitions so that you get the TRUE meaning of what is being said.

For example, in Genesis Chapter 1, during creation, when God saw that it was "good," in Hebrew, "good" translated means 'tov,' which means functional.

"Functional," in the original Hebraic language of the text has a much different meaning than the translated English "good." Check it out.

8. jalawa03 profile image60
    jalawa03posted 13 years ago

I use, The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures.

9. lee custodio profile image62
    lee custodioposted 13 years ago

mainly its the New Living Translation but sometimes i would cross reference it with New International Version or New King James Version.  NLT is easier to read.

10. aslanlight profile image64
    aslanlightposted 13 years ago

The New Revised Standard Version with Apocrypha because it was the set version by my university when I studied Theology. It contains lots of information and was compiled and edited by biblical scholars of a very high standard.

11. graceomalley profile image84
    graceomalleyposted 13 years ago

I like the New King James because its language flows, and the original KJV was translated in an atmosphere of less doctrinal dispute than our own.

But for the sake of study, I really like to read something in several translations. I feel I get a better rounded look this way at the passage. But I also just plain love language, and so sometimes I think of certain passages in a translation which just seems beautifully worded. But this is less "study" I guess than experience.

12. onegoodwoman profile image68
    onegoodwomanposted 13 years ago

When I read, it is the KJV.

When I study, I use the KJV , the Good News Bible, The New English Bible, The Teen Bible, The Paraprased , a quality concordance and a dictionary, plus a condensed history of Biblical times.

Can you imagine, in the year 5678, people trying to understand multiplication tables, Windows 2009, Ford Tempos, and a users guide for the Dodge Ram 3500?

One really must understand what one reads............

I wish I could play the piano and read Hebrew......

13. seoever profile image61
    seoeverposted 13 years ago

Well i have a hindi translation of bible in my home which was bought by my mom. I love it very much because hindi is my first language and its easier to read bible in my own native language.

14. HOOWANTSTONO profile image61
    HOOWANTSTONOposted 13 years ago

The KJV King James Version Its the first and only bible that truly describes the Original Hebrew and Greek meanings of the words use as was in the Original manuscripts, even Greek and Hebrew dictionaries can be obtained just the KJV  because it was translated from the Original manuscripts.

15. profile image57
    countrygirl84posted 13 years ago

I use the NIV. I am afraid I just cannot follow the other versions and end up slightly confused.

16. Rev. Akins profile image69
    Rev. Akinsposted 13 years ago

Thank you all for your answers, they really help. It also makes me feel so much better about life knowing there are several people out there who are serious about their Biblical study. I hope God's Word helps all, and I think the general theme is to read the one that makes the most sense, is the most accessible or offers the greatest amount of information that you personally need. Again, thank you all for the great answers!

17. stclairjack profile image78
    stclairjackposted 13 years ago

RSVCE ,.... the jerusalem bible is great too.

18. KRadke profile image60
    KRadkeposted 13 years ago

Lutheran Study Bible is my resent favorite. I do not mind the NLT and KJV... I also like to read in German... I find it funny how sometimes things are so differently translated from one language to another. Never mind Hebrew or Latin or Greek into English, but just German to English or the other way around..

19. Y. Kajitaka profile image60
    Y. Kajitakaposted 12 years ago

I only use the King James Version Bible, because I believe it is the only Bible completely unscathed in the face of change; it is certainly the only one to have never been derived from the scripts of the Latin Vulgate.

However, if you're needing a study bible, there are many options.  I have a Key Word bible myself, and it has some very interesting notes from time-to-time.  My parents have used both Scofield and Ryrie, and currently my mother says that, after a comparison, she likes the notes in the Scofield better.  I hope that helps!

20. preacher2003 profile image60
    preacher2003posted 12 years ago

KJV

www.harvestgathering.org

nivheresy.com

21. profile image58
    Gaiana Feelposted 22 months ago

To study the Bible, I watch YouTube videos. I perceive information very poorly when I read, but it is perceived much better by ear, so I found such a way out for myself. And I really like one American channel, although English is not my native language, but I can translate the video on vidby into my native language and listen like that. Moreover, the video does not have to wait long and the service is worth the money.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)