Why are people already posting contest hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (46 posts)
  1. simeonvisser profile image68
    simeonvisserposted 13 years ago

I just checked the tag 'writingcontest' and people are already publishing hubs! The contest starts March 31, 2011 - you're way too early. More than 200 hubs have already been published.. am I missing something? Stop folks, you need to wait smile

http://hubpages.com/tag/writingcontest/hot

1. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

239 numpties on here who can't read, obviously wink

1. theherbivorehippi profile image65
        theherbivorehippiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol....numpties!  Yay...I've learned a new word today.  I am going to make a point to use this in conversation tomorrow.  Love this! lol

1. IzzyM profile image88

"Numpties" is classic! Thankyou for appreciating it smile Singular is of course "numpty".

2. waynet profile image70
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Hahahaha will they win the contest?? lol! big_smile
    For the World ya contest wannabes!

3. simeonvisser profile image68

Julie-Ann Amos also has some very long hubs about Justin Bieber in there, it's a shame they're not eligible for the contest...

1. IzzyM profile image88

I wouldn't worry about it. Justin Bieber is flavor of the month and should do well even without a contest smile

4. simeonvisser profile image68

This could also be an indication that the contest page was not clear enough on when the contest would start.

The contest page is very clear.

1. profile image0
        lynnechandlerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree the contest page is very clear. It's up to 250 hubs now with the tag. And we wonder why the hubteam has a problem cleaning up the site. At least by scanning the titles I know the topic I picked hasn't been done, lol.

2. simeonvisser profile image68
        simeonvisserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is not because the start date is only mentioned in the legal text, not clearly at the start. A temporary message that it's in April would have prevented this.

Furthermore, 250 hubs have been posted by now for a contest that hasn't started yet. Many have understood it, but quite a few also haven't. If 250 (!) hubs have been mistakenly posted then something was not clear enough.

3. profile image0
        BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

maybe for some, but the numpties have missed the important date.smile

4. simeonvisser profile image68

By the way, is this proof by assertion or so? What is happening now shows that is wasn't clear enough.

I think the sudden appearance of a contest link may have to do with this: people think a contest is going on and they start contributing. So next time, put the start date also in the human text, not just the legal document at the end.

1. profile image0

don't make excuses for the numpties- the rules are already clear.

I agree..why must the numpties always have excuses made for them?

P.S. IzzyM....numpties is officially part of my vocabulary.  Love it! smile

2. simeonvisser profile image68

I disagree. The rules are clear for the majority of the people but if you open the contest page, where does it mention the start date of the contest? It's totally at the end and 'April 2011' is in the page title. How many people do you think really pay attention to the legal document at the end?

The contest page is good but as a company you can't fully blame 250 mistakenly published hubs on the stupidity of your users. If the number was far less then okay but not with 250 hubs, then there's a communication error somewhere.

1. profile image0

Contest Description

Contest begins at 12:01 P.M. (PT) on March 31st, 2011, and ends at 12:00 noon (PT) on April 29th, 2011 (the “Promotion Period). Cash prizes (the “Prizes”) will be awarded (the “Awarding”) to the eligible entrants with the winning entries in accordance with these Official Rules.

2. theherbivorehippi profile image65

It says to read the instructions!  Hubpages cannot be blamed for people who fail to read through the end.  It's common sense to read something before committing to it.  If people can't do that for themselves...how is anyone suppose to feel bad for them?  AND the fact that is says APRIL 2011...I mean really....they should at least be able to know what month it is currently.

1. simeonvisser profile image68

Well, the facts show that 250 hubs are published. You could claim that your contest page is perfect and blame it on others but if I worked at HubPages, I would write this down and learn from it for the next contest.

It's important for a company to get its communication right.

It is not the company's responsibility to hold every individual hubber's hand to make sure they fully understand everything.  While we would all like a good bed time story and to be tucked in every night, eventually we have to learn to fall asleep on our own.

Everyone on Hubpages is an adult and should be responsible enough to be accountable for their actions.  If this means they miss out on submitting their articles for the contest...that's not the fault of the Hubpage staff.  Sure, sometimes people overlook the fine print..it happens but it certainly isn't the fault of the company that wrote it in the first place.  Things happen and perhaps these hubbers will simply learn from their mistake and just write more contest articles when the time is right.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Somehow I don't think hubs about Justin Bieber would fit in this contest anyway.

6. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 13 years ago

248 Numpties now. I hope the hubteam clears that up before the rest of us who have been waiting patiently get started.

7. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

People never read directions...

1. profile image0

perhaps they have a hangover?

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

even though it says clearly, Here is a brief summary of the rules, but please read the full Official Rules at the bottom of this page before starting, since you are bound by their terms by participating:

smile

What do you mean, the human text? It is clearly stated at the top of the official rules when the contest begins.

8. DIYweddingplanner profile image76
    DIYweddingplannerposted 13 years ago

This is a WRITING site...no one ever said it was a READING site!!

lol

9. profile image0

Actually Simeon is right. It doesn't state until you get to the terms of the contest when the contest runs. No mention of the date is given until then and we all know that we are guilty of skimming and not reading the full thing if we get excited and want to jump in to the contest.

However, the full post should be read if you are interested in writing hubs for the contest. I just hope hubpages brings out a clarification on it.

10. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I'm not sure why it has to be any clearer. If you enter a contest, you read the official rules and terms and conditions...

11. profile image0

I totally agree! To even be rolling out a contest with all that is going on with the Google slap, fixing the site, moderating all the hubs that have been flagged during the Google slap, how can anyone say it is their fault that a hubber didn't read the fine print.

It is out there for everyone. Not only on the contest page but on the blog about the contest too. So, it isn't the hubteams fault it is the fault of the user. Could it have been mentioned earlier in the contest page? Yes, but it is not the fault of the hubteam. They should be commended for even wanting to have a contest during these stressful times when they already have enough stressors to contend with. Cheer them on for wanting to add to the site by having a contest where you can show off your skills as a writer on any topic you choose.

The ones that are at fault are the writers who are already submitting hubs for the contest and posting on facebook to have people come here and vote for them. They have no clue.

I agree!  They are offering some outstanding prizes too.  They have to be very overwhelmed with the whole Google thing too but this is a contest that will help bring spirits up and I love that we can write about what we want this time.

2. Peggy W profile image96
      Peggy Wposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You said this perfectly, lynnchandler!  Kudos to the HubPage team!

12. waynet profile image70
    waynetposted 13 years ago

I skimmed the entry policies and still I seemed to know the contest starts on 31st march. Suppose it's different strokes for different folks I suppose....

13. simeonvisser profile image68

Look, I see room for improvement here and if you don't agree that's fine. I'm not critizing HubPages for doing a bad job. Organizing a contest is a major effort and this is, in comparison, only minor. I'm just pointing this out and if HubPages reads this then they can decide what to do with the next contest.

1. waynet profile image70
      waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad you pointed it out, as a nice clearer entry start date needs to be clearly visible right at the top of the contest info for those who skim the details!

But having said that it's a minor detail that has probably been overshadowed by everything else like dealing with hubpage violations and the ad program and everything else on top of that...so let us hold hands and start writing great hubpages and praise Jesus! (Ok maybe not praise Jesus! lol!)

14. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Does anyone remember the exact date the contest was published? I think it was maybe about 10 days ago, but some of the hubs in the contest feed were published 3 weeks or more ago. One was published 5 months ago!
    So it's not just the contest start date they missed.

15. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Just found one that was published 16 months ago...

16. profile image0

The blog entry is from the 17th of March and the contest page popped up a couple days before that. There was a thread about it here a bit before that because someone posted on a forum other than hubpages about it~~if memory serves and it doesn't most of the time now I believe it was tweeted. At the time of that entry the contest page still showed information on the last contest that went on.

1. IzzyM profile image88

So about 12 days maximum then?

17. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

I was thinking of deleting all my work and throwing my computer out of the window in response to the Algae change till I read about this.

Am I too late to join the competition?

1. IzzyM profile image88

Yes.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh.

I feel like a right numpty.

18. profile image0

That is what I would guess Izzy. So, yeah they missed the point entirely that these had to be new hubs or did another contest happen with the same tag and that is what we are seeing and not truly hubs that were created for this contest?

I believe I saw somewhere yesterday in the forum that the writing contest logo pic had to be in the hub as well as tagging it. I haven't looked at any of the hubs that that link brought up so now I'm wondering? Of course the ones posted just within the last two weeks would be for the new contest, I guess, but could the older ones relate to a former contest?

1. IzzyM profile image88

I don't think they used those tags before else we'd be seeing a lot more real contest hubs in the feed. I think its a new tag each time. So it's just more folk (numpties) that don't understand the rules even though they are printed there in black and white for all to see.

1. profile image0
        lynnechandlerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just to clarify no logo pic is needed just the tag writingcontest.  And, yes then if they use a different one each time this would be a case of extreme numptiness, lol

19. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 13 years ago

lol big_smile people are eager to make some money after the panda quake ... may be getting a little desperate  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)