genesis 6 - angels mated with women?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (53 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Baileybearposted 13 years ago

A common interpretation of Genesis 6 is that 'fallen angels' mated with women.

This idea also occurs in alchemy. 

Presumably, it appears in other religions/mythologies?

1. Paraglider profile image87
      Paragliderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, and isn't it strange that throughout the animal kingdom cross species mating either doesn't produce or in some close species produces sterile offspring, while the human female is magically able to mate with all manner of extra terrestrials and 'spirits' and produce perfect human children in the process?

It's great what stories folk have invented to explain unwanted pregnancies big_smile

1. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I see in the book of Enoch that was in the dead sea scrolls that this idea is elaborated on - the fallen angels mated with humans and also taught them how to work metals etc.  Is what the alchemists believe.

1. dingdondingdon profile image61
          dingdondingdonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nothing like a bit of metalwork after the pillow talk.

2. recommend1 profile image60
          recommend1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love the book of Enoch - a lot of it is pure science fiction with dashes of supporting evidence.  He claims to have been lifted up into the clouds and transported north to where there were crystal trees, the detail of his journey would seem to have taken him right up north, possibly Iceland and back to what could possibly be the ancient peoples of Ireland and he describes a building just like the original of the reconstructed white stone temple in Ireland.  Also to kind of back up his extra-terrestrial type story he is the only other character who ascended into heaven, maybe the ET's took him home with them ?

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

1. recommend1 profile image60

Don't blame me - he wrote it !!!!  and only some few thousand years ago before anyone had seen star wars !

I heard if you take the seventh letter from every second sentence in Enoch it actually spells out "dude I am so high right now".

2. profile image0

nah, it was probably mercury poisoning

2. profile image0

curious thing is the writers of the bible seemed familiar with the text - there's the mating with 'children of god' in genesis, & the name of a goat-demon is mentioned elsewhere, plus references to the 'prophesies of enoch'.  So not clean & cut for christians to dismiss it

1. DoubleScorpion profile image78
              DoubleScorpionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, They can't really add the book of enoch, it would refute what they currently pass off as the true word of god.

2. recommend1 profile image60

Well - it would appear that Enoch is a bit of an embarassment to the church - and if I remember correctly there is no actual book of Enoch, just references to it and some bits that are clearly copies of parts of it, and some turned up in the dead sea scrolls. 

The book I vaguely remember was suggesting that the character Enoch was maybe 5 or 6 thousand years ago and his 'book' the passed down oral story that got written up all at the same time when some dimwit invented writing and consigned us to google communication hell.

1. profile image0

seems so.  Apparently there are ancient texts about abraham being an astrologer too

2. Slarty O'Brian profile image80
                Slarty O'Brianposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Enoch was the grandfather of Noah.

2. profile image48
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is again the ignorant scribes; there are no fallen angels; and angels don't mate.

Not true. Last Christmas my decoration fell off the top of tree, and I don't know what you'd call that if not a fallen angel.

2. dutchman1951 profile image61
        dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

a dose of reality Paar...From you?    wow!

1. profile image48
          paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is it an appreciation? if yes, thanks

3. ceciliabeltran profile image64
      ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

its a recurring theme

Hi  CCBTran

Do you know about this Kramer translation that claims writing in 2300 BC that describes religion ?  two threads above.  I think I recall you seem to be up to date with this stuff smile

2. ngureco profile image81
    ngurecoposted 13 years ago

Angels in Hebrew language are sons of God.

3. dutchman1951 profile image61
    dutchman1951posted 13 years ago

Man, talk about devine intervention~!    smile

4. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

they talk alot of the book of enoch on ancient aliens interesting stuff indeed! we speculate so much when its all said and done we could all be wrong.

5. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 13 years ago

no they did not.
    Hebrews 1:5   For unto which of the ANGELS said he at any time, Thou art my SON, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a SON?

answer: NONE

John 1:12   But as many as RECEIVED HIM, to THEM gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that BELIEVE on his name:

Romans 8:14   For as many as are LED BY THE SPIRIT OF GOD, they are the sons of God.

Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waits for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Philippians 2:15   That YOU may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;

1 John 3:1   Behold, what manner of love the Father has bestowed upon us, that WE should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knows us not, because it knew him not.

1 John 3:2   Beloved, now are WE the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

6 verses mention the sons of God and none of them are angels they are people.

Luke 3:38   Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

Such rubbish. the sons of god in genesis 6:4 are humans and so are the daughters of men

Enoch is a bad book. It is used in the new testament to show false doctrines that the church had been swayed into believing by outsourcing to a book with that claimed to be written by enoch but really wasn't. There are many many biblical contradictions in the book of enoch that i can't imagine people taking this as scripture. Might as well grab some doctrine from the lost books of adam and eve (more junk). It does not fit proper canon qualifications either of authorship, time period, flow and consistency.

I wont go into jobs account of the sons of god as i believe they are people also and this would be meat for most of Christendom. I have even seen one version of the NIV translate sons of god in job as angels and that really made me angry. I bought the brother another book lol.

1. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exelent point. I don't even believe that a written language had been invented during Enoch's lifetime.

You don't need to believe - it is common knowledge that the first working written language (in our terms) was I forget when - but some time after the Egyptians - in Sumeria I believe it might have been - easy to check, just google it.

1. profile image0

do you have any details about the history & origins of written language (and also how it ties in with development of religion)

From Wikipedia - logograms evolved to include phonetic elements by the 29th century BC. Around the 26th century BC, cuneiform began to represent syllables of spoken Sumerian. Also in that period, cuneiform writing became a general purpose writing system for logograms, syllables, and numbers, and this script was adapted to another Mesopotamian language, Akkadian, and from there to others such as Hurrian, and Hittite. Scripts similar in appearance to this writing system include those for Ugaritic and Old Persian.

Various writing forms have been found going back 6000 years but to be able to convey complex ideas required the writing to parallel oral language.  When this was achieved the oral stories were written and 'fixed' and we get the Greek mythologies written, Greek philosophy survives because it was written and the collection of ancient myths that ended up in the middle east scrolls are from this time I believe.  The new idea of writing was kinda 'magic' I guess and only the rulers really had access to it, and then only through their 'scribes' as most didn't do this menial work themselves it would appear.

I guess this is the origin of the phrase from the bible "and the word was made god", and the metaphysical 'idea' of something beyond us, the unknown, was touted as real because it suited the ruler to be there by divine right, when in truth most of them were just vicious super criminals with no morals, as they still are big_smile

1. profile image0

I thought writing would have been around at least 1000BCE.  Did they just use symbols for a time?

roughly pictures developed into pictograms into logorams and various symbols for different things - so names, places and things could be put together to form a sequence of characters like king x killed king y and 'got' city z.  But narrative writing that could describe those events came when an alphabet linked to vocal sounds developed into a form of writing that 'works' in some ways as we know today.   Different parts of the world at different times and used mostly for govenment and communication between parts of kingdoms etc.

I think you 1000 BCE is in the middle of that time.  The Chinese of course took logograms a slightly different route and developed their set of characters in a different way to get to a similar point.

All this is roughly as I understand it all developing.  If there was a real character Moses, and as there is no physical evidence of the exodus story or the man as far as I am aware, then he would have been about the time that pointed adn rounded stylus were being used to imprint clay tablets with a very early form of writing, maybe Cuneiform ? but anyone can go check this out on Wiki - it has a reasonably good section on it.

2. Slarty O'Brian profile image80

Sumerian' were the first to invent writing in the Western world. Maybe the first anywhere. They started their civilization around 5000 bce. Probably invented writing between 4000 and 3500 bce. Perhaps earlier.

I posted the answer to this earlier - the early writing was pictographic and that developed into various different logo based characters - but none of them were able to record complex things such as a story - until the development of the alphabet - but I already said all this earlier

1. Slarty O'Brian profile image80

But the Cuneiform texts we have dating back to 3000 BCE do tell complex stories. They are not pictographs. They look more like chicken scratchings, but you are right their written language was used mainly for commerce and trade, but also to record their religion.

Can you give an example of a Cuneiform text that describes their religion ?

1. Slarty O'Brian profile image80

I have a translated version of the flood. I have a translated version of a lament.

A man and his god: translation

1-9A person should steadfastly proclaim the exaltedness of his god. A young man should devoutly praise the words of his god; the people living in the righteous Land should unravel them like a thread. May the balaj singer assuage the spirit of his neighbour and friend. May it soothe their (?) hearts, bring forth ......, utter ......, and measure out ....... Let his mouth shaping a lament soothe the heart of his god, for a man without a god does not obtain food.

10-17There is a young man who does not wickedly put his efforts into evil murder, yet he spends the time in grief, asag illness and bitter suffering. The fate demon has brought need and ...... close to him. Bitter ...... has confused his judgment (?) of it, and covered his ....... Behind his back they have overpowered him like a ....... Before his god the youth, the young man weeps bitterly over the malice he has suffered. He is reverent and performs obeisance.

There is lots more but I just wanted to give you a sample.

2. profile image0

why did the women give birth to giants when they bred with the 'sons of god'?  Sounds like the 'sons of god' weren't in god's good books

1. profile image0
        brotheryochananposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the verse says that there were giants int the land BEFORE ...
        There were giants in the earth IN THOSE DAYS; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men.

The sons of god were not in gods good books, the flood is mentioned right after this. There is a principle here, in Gods word, that we as christians (sons of god) are not to take wives from the UNchristians (daughters of men). Solomon did this and it was accredited to his idolatry and downfall, for one example.

3. profile image0

and why does Jude 1:14 say that Enoch prophesied, but nowhere else in the bible supports that?  Are bits of the bible missing?

1. profile image0

exactly. Jude is all about false doctrines and it gives a few examples of these false beliefs by quoting them. The jewish readers would have known that these were false because they are not supported in the OT.  Jesus does not mention the book of enoch and neither is the angelology of enoch remotely supported in the NT.

Bits of the bible are not missing just like the bible does not contradict itself.

1. profile image0

where does it say these are false doctrines?

Why is a greek philosopher that believed Zeus is immortal quoted in Titan?

http://www.christianforums.net/f15/epim … ible-8698/

1. profile image0

this is sort of an off topic adventure which interrupts my other scheduled time but i did peruse the avenue and came up with this.

Epimenides is not mentioned anywhere in the bible. I read titus (always a good read) and the scripture in question. But the quote of E. exists in titus.
            I researched Epimenides and discovered that he existed in 600bc. fair enough i thought. I noticed that titus is talking about false teachers (so prevalent in that time as well as now) and my interpretation of that scripture is that paul is telling titus to rebuke them (the cretes) sharply for they are liars, etc. I do not find this to be something to ponder overly much. Do we have any cretes in here. i wonder. Further if it is said by liars that zeus was immortal, they should be reproved for this. My knowledge of Paul is that he is a staunch follower of Jesus Christ therefore in context with his teachings i do not for a moment believe that Paul said Zeus is immortal because Paul when in rome said of the Gods of rome, "i believe that you are all too superstitious". Acts 17:22ish

6. profile image0
    SirDentposted 13 years ago

Many have failed to realize that the book of Enoch was written approximately 200 BC.  This is quite a long time after he was translated to heaven.

He lived approximately 4000 BC, give or take a few years.

Not true - most people are aware of the supposed time period of Enoch - I mentioned it at the start of this thread.

Also it was not written 200 BC - the oral story is referred to by many ancient documents and there was clearly a copy laying around for other ancient texts to mention also, long before that time.

2. profile image0

but the bible wasn't written down in 4000BC

1. profile image0

Exodus 25:9   According to all that I shew thee, after the pattern of the tabernacle, and the pattern of all the instruments thereof, even so shall ye make it.
          Exodus 25:40   And look that thou make them after their pattern, which was shewed thee in the mount (mount Sinai).

There was writing and material to write on when moses was on the mountain for the 40+ days.
        God used the stone tablets to display the permanence of the 10 commandments. Stone was not the only writing material.

1. profile image0

and when was this?  within 1000BCE?

7. IamMaster profile image60
    IamMasterposted 13 years ago

Yes, and examples can be found all throughout history. Incubi and Succubi were found in the medieval ages, tied with all their other superstitions. For those who don't know, an Incubus is a fallen angel who sleeps with women, and a Succubus with men. They are said to be extremely seductive beings. However, more than likely they were created to explain "sexual desires" that were being fulfilled alone at night.
    But many religions have examples of them. Almost all religions of the left-handed path will have some form of them. Wherever there are angels, there will be some who fell.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to prison planet Terra.

8. Mandrake_1975 profile image87
    Mandrake_1975posted 13 years ago

Those who believe statements about fallen angels mating with human women is simply the book of Enoch might be interested in what the Aposotolic Fathers Irenaeus and Justin Martyr had to say about it:

Since the Son of God is always one and the same, He gives to those who believe on Him a well of water [springing up] to eternal life, but He causes the unfruitful fig-tree immediately to dry up; and in the days of Noah He justly brought on the deluge for the purpose of extinguishing that most infamous race of men then existent, who could not bring forth fruit to God, since the angels that sinned had commingled with them, and [acted as He did] in order that He might put acheck upon the sins of these men, but [that at the same time] He might preserve the archetype, the formation of Adam.

- Irenæus, Against Heresies Book IV, Chapter XXXVI; Roberts & Donaldson, Ante-Nicene Fathers Volume 1, Pgs. 865-866

But the angels transgressed this appointment, and were captivated by love of women, and begat children who are those that are called demons; and besides, they afterwards subdued the human race to themselves, partly by magical writings, and
    partly by fears and the punishments they occasioned, and partly by teaching them to offer sacrifices, and incense, and libations, of which things they stood in need after they were enslaved by lustful passions; and among men they sowed murders, wars, adulteries, intemperate deeds, and all wickedness.

- Second Apology of Justin Martyr, Chapter V; Roberts & Donaldson, Ante-Nicene Fathers Volume 1, Pg. 298

You can read more of what the Apostolic Fathers said on this topic by clicking on my profile and reading my hub concerning the Characteristics of Demons.

9. profile image48
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

This is again the ignorant scribes; there are no fallen angels; and angels don't mate.

10. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I once mated with a beautiful Angel.... 5 foot 9, blond, was working in Vegas to raise money for university....

come to think of it, Angel might have just been her stage name

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)