Blogger

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Ritsos profile image39
    Ritsosposted 12 years ago

Given decent content, backlinks and all the usual things, how effective is blogger using the generic eg bishbosh.blogspot.com type domain, at appearing in search engines .. after all, it is google owned.

I'm currently building a small portfolio of sites .. some self designed under my own domain and hosting, but blogger is ideal for one I've just started and I wondered how effective it may be.

thanks

1. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have three bishbosh.blogspot.com sites that get over 50k visitors per month -- and I haven't even looked at them for well over a year. The biggest drawback to Blogger sites is that they're nowhere near as flexible as Wordpress. If I had it to do all over again, I would have taken the time to learn WP upfront and used that platform.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Holy smokes that is a lot of traffic!  What on Earth are these blogger blogs about?

2. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think you might find that the current version compares a lot better.  Not only is there full access to the css but a point and click way to add pages and change all of the attributes.

2. Haunty profile image74
    Hauntyposted 12 years ago

It's not the domain name that makes a site effective, it's the person behind it.

Sorry, I couldn't help it. wink

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

I've found blogger okay.  It was a winner in the Google algorithm changes.  I would make sure that you put a couple of your regular keywords in the title, though.  That helps, methinks.  They give you the option of buying a domain for it later and redirecting the traffic.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was just discussing this with Sophie on another thread.  I missed the report which said blogger had been a winner - do you have a link?

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
        Mrvoodooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know how reliable a source this is.  But this was the very first result: http://www.webpronews.com/google-panda- … es-2011-04

Great! Thanks so much for that.

The point of these statistics is that Blogger.com  as a whole gained traffic compared to other big sites.

It tells you nothing about how Blogger blogs fared compared to self-hosted blogs, so I don't think it proves anything.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
            Mrvoodooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My pleasure.

And I agree with your assessment.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I don't think Google favors blogger sites.  But a blogspot url still works fine so long as it has the right keywords.

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

I sometimes create backlinks on blogger.  I sometimes get enough traffic from them to consider making a practice out of it.  I'm told, however, that continually linking to the same domain can cause Google to see fit to close your account with blogger.

I'm not sure if I've helped any here or not - but I tried.

Yes, they will take your blog offline.  If you have good content on the blog, you can submit a request for review and they will reinstate you - but if all you've done is write short blurbs and linked to your Hubs, they won't approve it.

Personally I wouldn't be writing a blog to promote my Hubs, I do it the other way around.

6. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years ago

Blogger has been a great help to me and also hooking up with other hubbers and promoting their work

7. daybreak profile image79
    daybreakposted 12 years ago

psycheskinner is right, blogspot has made great strides in design tools. I especially like the newer templates and the built in ability to monetize blogs.

I maintain a variety of blogspot blogs and although I am aware and concerned about their shutdown policies, I decided to take my chances.

My experience is that blogspot posts have excellent potential to compete for long tail search terms IF one writes quality content and doesn't go overboard with backlinking.

They seem to work best for small niches, which is what all mine focus on.

I started using the resource simply as a backlinking tool, but as posts starting appearing in search results and traffic increased, I re-focused my efforts on monetization of the blogs and decreased the frequency of promoting other urls in posts.

Like others, I have been very pleased with the networking that has resulted from blogspot projects.

Yes, but I don't think that's exclusive to blogger - wordpress blogs have the same potential.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)