'Comments' Capsule - Is It Just Me?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Trish_M profile image79
    Trish_Mposted 12 years ago

Hi smile

When editing my hubs, in the 'Add More Capsules' section, I have noticed that the word 'Comments' is in grey, while all of the others are in blue ~ and I can no longer 're-order' the 'comments' box.

Is this the same for everyone ~ or is it just me?

Thanks smile

1. profile image54
      MoverReviews21posted 12 years agoin reply to this

If that thing appears in your page, then it is same with all of us.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Yes, it is the same for all. The comment box is now the last box you can have on a hub. You cannot put anything lower than it. Also, HP has prevented people from adding more than one comment capsule to a hub, which makes sense.

3. Howard S. profile image89
    Howard S.posted 12 years ago

It's a new feature--not yet announced, to my knowledge. It has been discussed elsewhere in the forums if you want to search for it. The idea, as far as we can ascertain, is to ensure the comments section will always be last. It would seem that HP has decided Google will look at hubs more favorably then.

4. Trish_M profile image79

Hi smile

Hhmm...

That's interesting, because my comments boxes weren't last and I have been trying to move them to the end, without success. I have had to move other capsules upwards instead ~ not so straightforward.

Thanks for the info smile

5. tlpoague profile image82
    tlpoagueposted 12 years ago

I am grateful that they are now at the bottom. I was having a hard time reading and understanding the hubs that had them at the top, just under the title.

1. Howard S. profile image89
      Howard S.posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are you talking about capsules (the rest of us are) or are you talking about the Adsense ad? Ads used to appear below the title and now don't. In that context I understand you. Otherwise I don't.

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Some new members aren't aware of how to move capsules around - I've seen hubs like this before where the comments  box is followed by the majority of the hub.

6. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

Annoying because I always put links/RSS capsules below comments, so that readers do not click away before leaving one!  Hey, some of us need all the help that we can get! smile

Trish_Mposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I did that, too smile

1. Howard S. profile image89

For any of your old hubs, you can still keep the capsule below the comments. But once you move it above the comments capsule, there's no return.

2. Howard S. profile image89

How do comments help (besides the accolade)? The answer will help me determine which to accept or deny. Is a comment capsule helpful to Page Rank for all kinds of info hubs? (I guess it's obvious that opinion hubs seek controversy and literary hubs seek praise.)

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Google likes material that is regularly updated.  That's why we used to add News capsules, because they auto-updated.  Comments are another way to add fresh material.

They're also good for community interaction, and for getting feedback to improve your Hub.  For instance, I published a Hub, and the first few comments were odd.  I took another look at the Hub and realized I had made an ambiguous statement in one paragraph, which the commenters had taken the wrong way.  I was glad it happened, because the other meaning would never have occurred to me otherwise!

I didn't know about the Comments falling to the bottom - it shows how high-handed the HubPages team are becoming, when they don't even bother to tell us something like that.  But it's a good idea in some ways, as I've occasionally seen newbies leaving them in the middle of their Hub.  I used to put my reference links below the comments too, to avoid losing readers, so I am a little disappointed.  But I'll just have to be careful not to move any on my existing Hubs!

1. CMHypno profile image82
          CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think that a lot of us are getting close to the straw that broke the camel's back scenario.

I have not really minded the changes, gone through all my hubs and cut out Amazon products etc, but for some reason this change has really annoyed me, and I'm not sure that I want to write any more hubs if I can't even put the comments capsule where I want it to be.

I haven't seen any discussions about this, or any hubbers calling for it, or even an announcement that it was happening, so why do it?

1. Simone Smith profile image86
            Simone Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey CMHypno - oh, don't be mad!  This change was made because our moderators (and readers in general) came across SO MANY Hubs where the comments capsule was stuck at the top because new Hubber authors did not know how to move capsules around yet. 
            Because comments capsules, as a common online article convention, are meant to be at the end of articles, we saw this problem as a bug that needed fixing, so we just fixed it.  I didn't think it was important to announce the rollout of the fix.  We're just trying to make the site better.  Don'thatemedon'thatemedon'thateme!!!

Simone, we don't hate you, but bear in mind we're all very sensitive to unnanounced changes right now.  You didn't announce it when you "tightened up" on RSS feeds and tags - both of which felt to us like BIG changes, even though you didn't see it that way.  This comments change affects how many of us design our Hubs, so it's another potential annoyance.  Hubbers need to know that if they edit their Hubs and move the comments capsule, it won't go back where they want it!

7. SunSeven profile image61
    SunSevenposted 12 years ago

I would like to have no comment capsules at all, although I have them in place now. I would like to see what difference its going to make on traffic and earning, but its a pain to edit all my 400 hubs just to study it. smile

May be a feature like, "enable comments on all your hubs" or "disable", just like the Kontera thing will be useful.

I was sure that we could opt for no comments ~ has that changed, too?

Can't you just delete the capsule?

Yes you're right, but you have to do it on the actual Hub.  I think SunSeven has had second thoughts, and is wishing it was possible to turn comments on or off for all your Hubs in one hit.

8. Trish_M profile image79

Hi smile

I have been confused by hubs that have comments boxes right at the beginning, or in unexpected places, but, I do prefer to have references, maps, etc, below my comments box, too.

At the moment, though, I am simply unable to move comments boxes on my new hubs at all. They are not going to the end ~ they are simply stuck in the middle of my hubs.

Any new text items, pictures, etc, stay below the comments. This means that I have to remember to move new boxes above the comments box, as I go along, or be stuck moving a whole lot of them at the end.

It's a bit of a pain sad

1. Simone Smith profile image86

Hi Trish_M - that shouldn't happen, so it could be a bug.  Would you mind emailing to me any links of Hubs where the comments capsule is stuck and not going down?

2. Simone Smith profile image86

Hey again!
      To move other Hubs above your Comments Capsule, just move them instead of trying to move the capsule.  That should do it!

Yes, that's what I have been doing ~ but moving quite a few of them can be time-consuming smile

Now I know about it, though, I can do it as I go along.

9. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

This change perhaps explains why when I write a new hub I can't put a new text capsule below the first without placing it first above the existing capsules, and then clicking it down into position?

That needs sorting.

Anyway thanks to the hubbers here for bringing this up, because this will affect a particular hub of mine that I constantly update.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)