Honest ideas for improvement.

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 12 years ago

Okay, you have a better idea?  Let's hear it!  No complaining, no bitching, no justifying, just plain honest suggestions to help staff deal with all the issues that have come up since Google turned the world upside down.  Don't need a lot of minutae.  Let staff winnow thru the chaff and see if there is anything they can use.
    Help them help us.  In a courteous manner.  It will pay off in many ways.

1. sofs profile image76
      sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It would be awesome to have ten hubs approved by admin before newbies get to automatically publish hubs .. would save admin a lot of headache later smile    Great post.. I am pretty appreciate of all their hard work smile

1. Simone Smith profile image87
        Simone Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great suggestion, sofs.  We've definitely discussed that option - it would take more manpower than we currently have, but it is certainly something to keep in mind. 
        What we've done in the meantime is made it impossible to publish Hubs that violate some of our easier-to-track rules, and embedded more helpful tips and warnings in the HubTool.
        But perhaps this is something we would consider for the future smile

2. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

Thanks for starting this thread, logic,commonsense!

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Simone, the biggest complaint from Hubbers is that we're getting good, successful Hubs unpublished for minor violations, while large numbers of really bad Hubs are still out there.

We're told the reason is that moderators haven't got to them yet.

So the fundamental thing that needs to be done, is to review the moderating process so priority is given to finding and removing the awful stuff. 

Some ideas:

1.  New Hubs that receive a flag are moderated first.

2.  Low-scoring Hubbers and low-scoring Hubs are moderated first. 

The other thing is to encourage established Hubbers to bring their Hubs into compliance, before the need for moderation arises.  This means making sure they are aware of the rules as they currently stand, which is not the case right now.  For instance, I made a fuss to get the RSS feeds and tags rules clarified, but there has never been an announcement - just an updating of existing documents, and how do Hubbers who've already read them, know they have to go back and read them again?

So I'd say - an education program, by email or by announcements, to ensure all Hubbers understand the rules AND the fact that they're retrospective (I've seen a few Hubbers comment that they only apply to new Hubs!!).

2. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome Simone!
      I feel that staff and writers can benefit by sensible discourse driven by the desire to improve the quality for all involved.

3. Michael Willis profile image66
    Michael Willisposted 12 years ago

OK...
    1st-No more additional rules added until the existing rule changes or the stronger enforcement of existing rules are 100% completed.

2nd-Hub Staff and Moderators completely focus time on completing the issues with Hubpages before working on creating and adding "bells-n-whistle" or social features.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ditto.

2. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree Michael, the bells and whistles can wait til the basics are ironed out.
      Some great suggestions here already!  Hopefully more are forthcoming.  Pretty sure staff will be willing to implement the best ones.

4. bgpappa profile image78
    bgpappaposted 12 years ago

I think Michael brought up some good issues.  Also, define the vague terms used so that writers have a better understanding of what the rules are, especially when they are contantly changing.  Violation of a "misleading tag" doesn't say a whole lot and wastes a ton of time trying to figure it out when a simple clarification would save all parties a lot of headache.

Funny thing though that Simone would respond to this thread but no others.  Just saying

5. BobbiRant profile image60
    BobbiRantposted 12 years ago

If hubs using very bad English (I'm not talking the once in a while typo either) are going to receive high scores and get featured (makes HP look bad the minute Anyone comes here because the featured ones hit you right away) then I don't see a lot of it.  But I think the minor violations causing hubs to get unpublished, especially for those here a long time, should stop too.  I think many hubbers are getting tired of the inconsistency of being dinged for violations while major ones go undetected. Maybe someone to give answers to hubbers who need help, in a more timely fashion, would lead to less discouragement too. Many understand this ironing out thing to make HP better, is not an easy task for staff.  But some still go to other sites to write until all is worked out. How many hubs can be dinged before a writer gets fed up is an individual tolerance threshold.

6. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 12 years ago

I would also like to see hubs coded in a different color if there is a warning on them .. we do not usually check all our hubs everyday... the color code will make us aware of the warning posted on the hub.
    That would help many hubbers I guess.

1. WryLilt profile image90
      WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I just checked a hub and saw a warning about it being about MLM. I would never have noticed that if I didn't take a random look at it.

7. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 12 years ago

I think we're getting off topic.

Bumping to see if anyone else has constructive suggestions to improve as suggested by the OP.

8. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

Constructive criticism

remove heads from ....sand, yeah sand.

Really, its too late - but the suggestion to work towards would have been to create a traditional support ticket system.

Hub gets unpublished and then gets a higher priority to a response. The excuse that its "not manageable" and randomly quoting author figures doesn't fly, make it work, make it happen, excuses are for children.

They dont have as many active authors as they claim - if they ran IP comparisons, whittled out all the proxies and public servers for dupe spam accounts, regular spam accounts, legitimate dupe accounts and abandoned accounts, the author base number wouldnt be that impressive.

Figure out how many hubs can be moderated in a workday and never unpublish more than can receive proper support. Dont unpublish prior to a weekend if you are to be shortstaffed.

Also, offer apologies and an increased revenue share for a bonus period as a symbolic gesture for the mishandling.

9. Victoria Stephens profile image73
    Victoria Stephensposted 12 years ago

I'm aware that hubpages are already looking into this, but thought I'd mention it here too.  It would be brilliant if hubpages had a storage/hosting place for files such as pdf files etc.x

10. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 12 years ago

Perhaps the staff would consider engaging any willing Hubbers who have a bit of time, to do the screening of hubs that have been flagged, rather than just hub-hopping and flagging, and leaving the dirty work to the over-burdened staff.

In other words, giving a select number of responsible Hubbers the authority to fully assess questionable hubs in much the same way the staff already does.

This would lighten the load on the staff, and would get the garbage pile whittled down much faster, and keep it to a minimum thereafter.  This would help the whole community, I think.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)