Mark As Spam?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Krysanthe profile image91
    Krysantheposted 12 years ago

I had a comment on my hub "How to Make Sidewalk Chalk Paint" and instead of giving me the option to approve it, I had the option to "mark as spam." It wasn't spam, so I didn't mark it as such, and then it gave me the option to approve it.  Funny thing, I also did not recieve a notification that there was a comment on that particular hub.   

I was just wondering what would cause it to recieve the "mark as spam" message, instead of the normal "approve" that I've seen on all my other comments.

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It sounds like the commenter's IP address belongs to a known spammer. Usually, such comments will not even appear on the hub, but may be found in the moderation panel under "spam." If you fish it out of there and declare it not spam, this could help such a commenter regain their ability to comment normally.

There is nothing suspect about leaving a signature link, since HubPages provides that option for non-registered visitors.

Krysantheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

hmmm, that must be why I didn't get notified of the comment.  HP assumed it was spam...so much to learn, so little time.  *sigh*

2. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

Possibly the poster has been marked as spam by other members of the site?  Did the comment have a link in the name, I have had some strange links inserted in their name?

ohhhh, you know the comment did have a link in their name.  I didn't even think to check. Its a strange link too.  Is that a no no, or can I just leave it?

1. Reality Bytes profile image74
        Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Outgoing links effect your whole page.  I am no expert but if I do not like the site that the link leads too then no matter how well worded the comment I deny.

3. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 12 years ago

When the person who comments is not from HubPages it is notified as unidentified person and the to option mark as spam appears .. this happens when people leaves a comment as backlink as far as I have noticed. I am not sure though.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I notice that very short comments are marked as spam. I come across some occasionally that have been there for months.

5. Krysanthe profile image91
    Krysantheposted 12 years ago

Eeep!  So this really seems to be a bit of a grey area.  I appreciate all the comments and help.  I learned a lot here.  I did end up deleting the comment soley on the fact that I didn't care for the link that it went to...was that the right thing to do?..*shrugs*  Dunno.

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think it was. You are the publisher, and in a sense responsible for outbound links from your hubs and comments.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think that is a perfectly good reason to deny (or mark as spam).
      I think it is always questionable when people leave a link-- but especially so when it is to something that makes you queasy.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I have an easy decision...if there is a link that is not completely related to the question then I don't approve the comment.

7. puddingicecream profile image70
    puddingicecreamposted 12 years ago

I also have noticed that really short comments are marked as spam. Usually things like "nice" or "good" are red flags. Irrelevant links are also considered spam. I think also certain colorful keywords. It's frustrating how the hubber does not receive notification of a comment if it's automatically marked as spam. But just look at the overview of your hubs every now and then to check.

8. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

I've had the same experience.  Although no notice of a comment was posted to my homepage or my email, I have found these types of comments on my hubs purely by chance.

These aren't always comments with links in them either.  It just seems strange there is no notification of their existence. smile

9. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years ago

One thing I have often wondered is if a comment offers you the options to mark as SPAM, Approve or Delete, if I mark it as SPAM can I then also click on 'Delete' and it not only ends up registered as a Spam user, but also gets removed? The reason I ask is that if I simply click on 'SPAM' the comment doesn't vanish, and I want it gone, at the same time as I want it flagged as SPAM.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I do!  I am delighted to delete dese dumb dolts, do you dig? smile

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
        mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL Randy, I love to delete them too, but will they also be registered as a Spammer if I click 'Spam' first, and then within seconds click 'Delete' ? I want both choices registered ideally. smile

I do not like them on my page

I do not let them cause me rage

I hit delete to make them scram

I do not like them, spam they am

snakesphere

1. DIYweddingplanner profile image78
            DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And here I thought since you were from Georgia you couldn't read!

That's Alabama!  We can read okay down here, it's just that we don't have anything much to read but Bibles and beer bottles!

1. DIYweddingplanner profile image78
                DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And don't forget gun manuals!

We don't need those, if you can't field strip a semi-automatic rifle or shot gun before entering kindergarten, you end up riding the short bus!  smile

2. Krysanthe profile image91

omg, that so made me giggle

10. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 12 years ago

I always delete and mark spam any comments when it is an anonymous person with a link. Someone said you can roll your mouse over the link,and the website of the link will show. I saw one yesterday on someone's hub and wondered why it was there. It was a link to someone's article on the same subject as the hub.

11. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 12 years ago

Not all links are bad or spam.. I generally delete meaningless and  comments just for backlinks . The great hub, good hub comments also face the same fate. They are not worth it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)