Hackers?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (21 posts)
  1. thebluestar profile image77
    thebluestarposted 9 years ago

Recently, the activity on my account has increased considerably. However, none of the comments received on my hubs are from people who are signed in to HubPages. They are all in different names, and they all have one thing in common, what would appear to be a deliberate spelling mistake. How can I stop this from happening and is there a way that I can find out who it is? I have deleted all the comments from this person (people), but it is annoying to say the least.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Make sure you report them before deleting them.

You can change your settings so that all comments have to be approved before they are published.  That stops them, and they eventually go away.  At that time, you can change it back, or just leave the settings as they are.

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Don't delete these comments - after you 'deny' them, submit them as spam, but don't delete permanently.  The site needs to research them from the spam report, and if you delete them, there's nothing for them to research.  They will eventually 'go away' after you report them as spam, but be sure to give the admins a chance to block the IP or do whatever they need to do to protect the site.

3. Christy Kirwan profile image88
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi bluestar,

As others have mentioned here, it's a good idea to change your comment settings to require approval before showing up. You can do so by visiting your My Account page, clicking the Comments tab, choosing "show settings," and making sure "Yes" is checked for the option "Comments must be approved before they appear." Hope that helps!

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Set your comments so that you have to approve first.  You cannot do anything to block them.   Another option is to not use comment boxes at all.

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Not only do you have the option to approve comments prior to publication, you can set comments so only people signed up with HubPages can comment.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1 That's what I did a year ago when they hit me, then changed settings later on.

4. agilitymach profile image93
    agilitymachposted 9 years ago

I just had the same issue.  I, unfortunately, deleted them. Next time, I will mark them as spam. My account is already set up for approval of comments before they are published.  I am glad to know I am not the only one being spammed.

1. thebluestar profile image77
      thebluestarposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you all for your helpful comments. The mystery continues today too, but I have marked them all as spam, so here is hoping that the problem stops now.

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
        rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Do they have the same IP address?

1. neosurk profile image87
          neosurkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Exactly! Do all the comments have same IP addresses? If they do, then they might be spammers or just trolls wanting to mess with you. But if not, they might be genuine people who didn't know the spelling.

Whenever I get comments from non-hubbers, I usually think either my hub is worth interacting with or it has got attention from different non-HubPages sources (which is a good thing). Is the subject of the hub getting hot media attention this time or is it evergreen?

5. PaigSr profile image69
    PaigSrposted 9 years ago

A couple reasons that I approve all comments. Sometimes folks will leave links in their comments to sites that I have never heard of. Personally I want to screen those links before passing them on. Another big reason I approve my comments is that I aim for G ratings for my hubs. If I don't feel comfortable the words do not get published. I hope these help.

6. Sylvia Leong profile image88
    Sylvia Leongposted 9 years ago

Thank you LindaSmith1 - I never realized there was an option to get rid of the comment boxes completely!  I have a Hub explaining why it's more beneficial to weight-train only once a week.  Boy-oh-boy, do I get some angry, condescending comments - I deny them of course.  You'd think they'd be thanking me!
    Voila! Comment option removed!

7. thebluestar profile image77
    thebluestarposted 9 years ago

Thank you all once again for your insightful advice. I have spammed all the unwanted comments, and actually thought I had made the person/persons responsible bored, not at all, with more comments this morning.

I hope that this will soon resolve itself, as I am loathed to write more for HubPages at the moment, if this is to continue. This makes me sad, as I learned most of my writing skills from the brilliant friends that I made on this site. I haven't posted for 12 months now, but was writing and saving to my computer files in the meantime.

I actually found a link between the comments on my hubs, and at one point it was people discussing the purchase of a four poster bed. I don't know how the conversation got started, and am even more confused on how these off site comments where able to be posted on my writing.

Has anyone else come across a similar situation?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

90% of visitors to Hubs are NOT members of HubPages - that's how the site makes money!  So it's not surprising that you get comments from non-members.

It's common for website owners to promote their own site by posting comments on other blogs and articles.   Done properly it can be effective, but there are many amateurs who go around mindlessly posting spam comments wherever they can - and there are people who sell automated programs to these gullible people, so they can post hundreds of comments at a time. 

I know it's annoying when this happens, but consider that if you prevent non-members from commenting then you risk alienating the majority of your readers, and that would be a pity.  If you set your comments so they have to be approved before they appear, and report all the spam comments you get, that will put them off.

8. earner profile image81
    earnerposted 9 years ago

I, too, screen my comments - receiving spam/links comes in clusters, luckily for me they're not very frequent though.

9. sparkleyfinger profile image86
    sparkleyfingerposted 9 years ago

I, too, am receiving these comments. Often completely unrelated to my hub, and a load of rubbish! I can only think they hope to drag the content and ranking of the whole site down with this continuous babble? I have reported, but permanently deleted, so i will try not to do this next time!

10. sparkleyfinger profile image86
    sparkleyfingerposted 9 years ago

Now getting an error when trying to deny these comments? Anyone else?

11. belleart profile image82
    belleartposted 9 years ago

I had the same thing happen, it must be spam, a lot of hubbers are seeing it on their hubs. I had no problem deleting mine though.  I doubt there is a way of finding who it is, since they aren't hubbers, if they're even real people at all.

12. sheilamarie78 profile image87
    sheilamarie78posted 9 years ago

I've also noticed this happening on my hubs. I don't get what it's about.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My theory is that it is a challenge that someone is having with another person or group.  Can you create a program that posts a bunch of comments?  Who posts the most comments? And whomever's comments are still out there after a specified period of time wins. I think this because there is a specific word in each post that is misspelled (so they can be searched in a search engine), and they come in bunches.  My latest batch did pretty good at trying to stay on topic.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)