What movies should have never been made?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (27 posts)
  1. tHErEDpILL profile image82
    tHErEDpILLposted 12 years ago

When will it end?  I hear there are talks going on right now to 'reboot' the "Lethal Weapon" movie series.  How the hell do you reboot "Lethal Weapon?"  I can understand James Bond, Batman, Superman, etc., comic book to movie adaptions or any kind of book to movie adaption where the story continues to go on through literature.  Those characters never die.  But to remake movies that were derived from original screenplays that were specifically made for the 'big screen,' it makes no sense! 

Right now Hollywood is like an insecure women who decided to keep wearing the same dress everyday because people were telling her how good she looked in it.  To be 'safe' Hollywood would rather depend on making sequels, prequels, or reboots of movies that have been successful in the past.  They even distracted us by using a new name for remakes, now there called..."reboots," and now a movie doesn't even have to be that old before they start from scratch.  I have one name for you...Spiderman.

Anyway my question is, whether previously released or soon to be released, what remake, reboot, sequel, or prequel do you think should have never been made?

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Shrek should've ended after the second film.  police academy should've stopped making movies a long time ago when Officer Mahoney left the force, as the films just weren't the same when he left. 

Godfather III was a piece of crap.  I know the upcoming reboot of Batman after "The Dark Knight Rises" shouldn't be made at all, nor even considered, like Jeff Robinov has planned. 

Godzilla with Matthew Broderick would've been nice to see cancelled before ever hitting multiplexes.  Jurassic Park stopped being great after II, as one has to wonder how stupid are you to keep going back to a island full of dinosaurs. 

Ghostbusters 3 shouldn't have been green lighted to head into production.  Superman Returns was a joke, and poorly planned out.  Superman III and IV were awful, and it would've done the world a huge favor to never release them.

Batman & Robin, as Schumacher clearly tried to bring back the Batman series to cheesy Adam West 60's style that just doesn't work for today's generation.

The prequel to "I am Legend" just sounds freaking dumb, as I don't see how it's even possible to make a prequel considering how well the story is already setup. 

Of course, I could go on, but I'll stop here for now.  thanks.

tHErEDpILLposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with every movie you mentioned.  Also:

The Terminator movies should have stopped with T2.
        The talks of Independence Day 2 and 3 make no sense
        I need more time, I will be back.

2. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

they cant remake leathal weapon no fkin way. gerard butler would be the only guy who could play riggs, if he doesnt do it then scrap it. highlander 4 was another one, harry potter period, 3 stooges gay edition. does the I am legend prequal have will smith??????

If it doesn't have Will is 'will' not make sense.  lol

3. profile image57
    kyblueyesposted 12 years ago

I completely agree with your post. There are so many movies that should never be remade or have sequels that it's hard to name them all. Where is the creativity in Hollywood? How many times can you make a movie, for instance, about your best friend (who you are secretly in love with) getting married so you try to stop the wedding??? I would love to see a movie where the ending wasn't predictable but I'm sure that's not going to happen anytime soon.

yes, that movie has been done a billion times.  And now they are re doing the 80's movies where two guys switch bodies.  Starring Jason Bateman and Ryan Reynolds.

4. manlypoetryman profile image83
    manlypoetrymanposted 12 years ago

Conan, the Destroyer...ruined the first movie: Conan, the Barbarian...which was an excellent take on the: "Conan, the Barbarian"  Comic series for the time.

Also: I'm a big fan of Steve Martin's comedy...but seeing him take on a role developed by Peter Sellers in the "Pink Panther".
    That ain't happening!

That and I'm pretty sure the cast of Gilligan's Island should have never had a movie where they got off the Island.

I think you  may have just come up with the next Hollywood BS script.  Mark my words I feel a Gilligan's Island remake coming.

5. tony0724 profile image59
    tony0724posted 12 years ago

Please don't reboot " The Monkees "

http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b450/Trisha60sPsycadelicMusicFan/TheMonkees/The-Monkees-the-monkees-2845960-314-235.jpg

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

so many of the sequels are very disappointing.

Spiderman 3, Sex and the City 2, Speed 2, Blues Brothers 2000, Superman, The Quest for Peace...

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Stevennix: Most movies after 3 or 4 movies sequels take a shot gun to it,

2. tHErEDpILL profile image82

Hell yea Superman IV sucked!!!!!

Transformers 2
      Beverley Hills Cop 3
      The Mod Squad Remake
      The Avengers
      All the Screams after the original Scream
      ditto for Scary Movie

7. sabrebIade profile image79
    sabrebIadeposted 12 years ago

What annoys me is this reboot it every few years thing.
    Spiderman, Superman, Hulk (though you could really look at it as a sequel if you tried hard enough), Punisher,  I've heard even the Fantastic Four and Daredevil might get the treatment.
    Make one or two movies, stop, reboot.

I feel the same way.  The movies tend to feel more like 'movies' and less realistic when you keep changing everything.  Hollywood has sold it's creative soul to the devil in exchange for box office success.  Ironically this success is going to be the reason why people stop going to the movies at all soon.

By the way, that Punisher movie with  Thomas Jane SUCKED!!   Why can't they get this movie right?  Easy blood thirsty guy with no super powers should be easy to make a movie about.

1. profile image0

You'd think so, but it still seems like nobody has figured out how to make a great punisher movie yet.  If it were up to me, I think Marvel should seriously consider hiring the writers and director of the "Sopranos" to come and develop a tv series made only for HBO.  Making the punisher tv show more of a grittier, crime based drama like the Sopranos was; while making the punisher more of a bounty hunter.  That would probably work if you ask me.

Hell Yea Stevennix!!!!  I am feeling that idea!  I am currently writing scripts for TV shows I might give that a whirl.  I'd have to catch up on the history though.

And I love HBO and Showtime...Game of Thrones RULES!

Get it...RULES? lol

2. profile image0

Thanks redpill.  I'm glad you liked the idea.  I didn't know you were a screenwriter.  That's pretty cool.  What shows have you written for if you don't mind me asking?

8. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

I agree with Saberblade about Spider-Man 3 completely, as I think Raimi should've just walked away since Arad forced him to use Venom, and I think the biggest problem with Raimi is he directs straight from his heart and he's a dictator type director; where everything has to be his way or the highway.  This is why "spider-man 3" failed, as Raimi didn't even try once he felt his singular vision was compromised. 

I don't even think this upcoming "spider-man reboot" is even necessary, but I know why they're doing it.  I know since Disney bought out Marvel Comics and Marvel Studios, there's been a lot of pressure on both Fox and Sony to keep producing movie titles based on the current Marvel properties they own the film rights to.  If they don't make so many movies within x-amount of years, then basically Disney has the right to take those properties away from them legally.  Therefore, we all know it's a petty attempt to hold onto the franchise.  I just hope "The Amazing Spider-Man" doesn't turn out like "Dragonball Evolution", where Fox put together a half a** story in an attempt to keep film rights to the franchise.  Yes, I'm aware Sony is the one that owns Spider-man's film rights, and it's a different studio.  However, I was just saying.

I also think all movies based on SNL sketches should've been cancelled after "Coneheads."  As Wayne's World and Coneheads are the only good ones that ever spawned into successful films; whereas the rest were just a joke....and I don't mean that in a good way either...

Bravo observation of the SNL movies..Bravo.  As for Dragon Ball, sigh...I don't think we will ever get a good Dragon Ball movie.

9. KK Trainor profile image60
    KK Trainorposted 12 years ago

This might not fit into your other posts, as most are about action movies, but I hate the newest Pride & Prejudice wtih Kiera Knightly. It's not in line with the book and the previous A&E version was perfect, so why remake it?

Hey we don't care what kind of movie you talk about in here...if it sucked and they shouldn't have made it let us know!!  thanks for the post KK

10. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

transformers 2 was good, it just made no sence to have the fallen in it. If theres no dinobots in the 3rd im shootin somebody.

11. profile image0
    blake4dposted 12 years ago

Movies about the repoductive cycles of anything that is not warm blooded or lays eggs. Snore.

12. Don Ship profile image74
    Don Shipposted 12 years ago

Meet The Speartans!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)