Gay judge violates his ethics in ruling?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (32 posts)
  1. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

If this is true he needs to be stripped of his pension and retirement benifits.

-A retired federal judge's long-term relationship with another man will be the subject of an unusual and possibly unprecedented court hearing Monday involving California's same-sex marriage ban.

Lawyers for the sponsors of the voter-approved ban are asking the chief federal judge in San Francisco to vacate the decision issued by his predecessor last year that declared Proposition 8 an unconstitutional violation of gay Californians' civil rights. They maintain that former Chief Judge Vaughn Walker should have recused himself or disclosed his relationship status before trial because he and his partner stood to personally benefit from Walker's verdict.-

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/06 … z1P9sXWroG

1. Daniel Carter profile image63
      Daniel Carterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually, no, you didn't just ask a question. You started with a statement, and made a judgment call.

TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If this is true he needs to be stripped of his pension and retirement benifits.

There is my first comment... and the title is a ? dan. So give it up and get a life. Anyone 6th grader can see that this is a ? and my statement if prefaced with if. Any 6th grader.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image74
          Jeff Berndtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Then Black judges can't rule in a civil rights ruling (nor can white judges), and straight judges can't rule on gay rights issues either.

2. deblipp profile image61
      deblippposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The problem here is, you're assuming that only a gay judge is biased. In a case about orientation, EVERYONE has an orientation. A straight judge might also have bias based on his or her orientation. When we assume that only the "othered" people have bias, we are reinforcing a prejudicial status quo.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

give me a break..."stripped of his pension...blah blah" because he's a judge who happens to be gay...how could a conflict of interest arise because of a person's nature?...gay or not...if that is the case 'conflicts of interest' would arise many times in many cases....so why single this one out?...i think i know the answer

The thread title is a question, and this is a valid story. And if he is guilty of selling out his ethics, then yes, he should lose his pension and benis. Don't really care if you agree or not. The issue isn't his life-style choce, but his ethical stance.

Fairly simple. Not everything is based on hate. Well maybe to a leftist it is.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image74
        Jeff Berndtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So why should a straight judge be allowed to rule on a question of whether gays should be allowed the same marriage rights as straight people?

1. Evan G Rogers profile image59
          Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No judge should be ruling on this stuff.

Marriage is between 2 people who love each other. There is no room for government.

3. Evan G Rogers profile image59
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

Ron Paul talks about marriage in his most recent book (which I highly recommend) "Liberty Defined".

He points out with impeccable precision that this entire debate over marriage is nothing more than a symptom of the fact that we're relying too much on government to do things for us.

Why do we need our government to let us know if we're married or not? For millennia it was just that we simply called ourselves married, and everyone recognized it. This is the key point - you don't need a sheet of paper from some guy you've never met before to tell you that you're married.

What about benefits? Well, the fact that "if two straight guys get married to gain the marriage benefits" is even a possible argument against gay-marriage simply shows us that our government is too intertwined in the marriage topic. Why the hell does "being married" grant me a benefit (or punishment) in the eyes of "random government guy #76"!?

If two gay people want to be married... then why should anyone care? They're not forcing you to marry them!!! They're simply engaging in a bond between themselves to further cement their love for one another. No individual is allowed to force their own life-style on another, and unfortunately people are using government to do so today.

It's utter nonsense.

Government's role in marriage, if it has any AT ALL, is to simply write down who claims marriage to who. And even then, that sounds like too much power to me -- a private company or church could easily do this task without any theft of taxpayers.

Once again, Ron Paul has shown us how freedom is the best solution to our current government-related woes.

4. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

Ohhh all the lil leant leftists are mad at me... whaaa

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

correction....that's left leanin' leftist....i'm not mad - i just want yor money, huney!...come join the conspiracy......

http://rmcpac.com/ckfinder/userfiles/donate_now_button_175.jpg

5. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

...Warning....

Close yor eyes now - the light might hurt...

http://image001.mywedding.com/14/176/14176898_475.jpg?1252515757

1. Evan G Rogers profile image59

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

PEOPLE BEING HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!!1!11111

6. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

Oh, absolutely he should lose everything and maybe jailed to boot.  The very idea that a gay judge should rule on a matter fought so bitterly by religious heterosexuals!  There certainly should have been a religious heterosexual on that bench; that's obviously the only way bias could be eliminated. roll

I did not say that, either... did I? You all just think you can put words in peoples mouths and that makes it so.

Any judge regardless of sexual orietation, race, or religion, has got to be able to set aside his own beliefs and rule based on the Law and the Constitution.

That is just simpe and the way it should be.

1. John Holden profile image61
        John Holdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And where, outside your imagination, is there any indication that he has failed to set aside his own beliefs?

Another thing I did not say. hahahaha... ah you are too funny. Where did I say that? Show me...

Then what was the point of the post?

The point of the post was to look at his standing, discuss it, and to discuss legistlating from the bench. That is all.

Because you question it!

Because I question legistlating form the bench in any form bby any judge. Why is it all you have to attribute hate as the motive for everything. it must be a dismal world to live in on the left. All you see is hate hate hate. We will never come to any agreements or conclusions if all you all can do is attribute all things to hate and dismiss it.

Hey, I don't hate, I leave all that to the likes of you.
                    I don't even hate those right wingers who can see no wrong in their view and ascribe anything bad that they can't ignore to the left.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image59

Legislating from the bench, no matter the issue, is indeed a problem.

Marriage is NOT a government issue, and it should not be brought in federal courts.

2. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Although I did not indicate anything about your beliefs or words, there are many, apparently including the people that think he erred, whose concepts of bias are just way off base.  Thus the sarcasm.

Just more of the same old crap, continuing the fight in a different arena, from the bigoted and biased among us that demand everyone live life as they direct.

Sorry wilderness I mistook your sarcasm for an attack. I agree with this just being the same old fight, but it is unsettled. The people of Cali said they didn't want it and the bench should not over-ride their will. Just my opinion. As far as if he erred or not... I don't know. I guess we will see though.

7. Stump Parrish profile image61
    Stump Parrishposted 12 years ago

this story is in the news

No it isn't, it's on the Faux News Network. Now if what you say is true that a gay judge can not offer an unbiased ruling on a gay matter, shouldn't all straight judges be forbidden from handling straight divorce cases? There is no way they can offer an unbiased decision. Do you see how rediculous your statemnets are? no of course not. You do realize that simply because you vote for th right, it doesn't mean that you are, don't youy.I do believe you should throw your hat into the ring and run for vice president. Palin will need someone to make her look at least mildly intyelligent and next to you she will apear to be a friggin genius.

I have not said that stump. Nowhere did I say a gay judge could not be fair and unbiased. go back and read my posts... you will find that nowhere.

So again all you leftists stop trying to put word in my mouth. My words stand on their own and speak for themselves. Do yo se how rediculous you all sound asserting I said something that is nowhere on this thread.

Probrably not.

But had you believed him to be fair and unbiased there would have been no need for your post.
        All your posts shout out your bias.

That is idiotic. I posted it to discuss it, and the effecs of legistlating from the bench. but you all live in hate and cannot se anything without those specks in your eyes.

And since it obvious I didn't say any of that BS you all accuse me of, then I must have inferred it. What a joke. You all tried to lie about me and I called you on it. End of story.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)