Amazon Words don't wrap correctly

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (17 posts)
  1. brandonhart100 profile image75
    brandonhart100posted 12 years ago

This has probably been brought up before but when you put Amazon capsules in the right side of the page not only do the titles wrap into the right side of the page, but also the comments so that people can't read everything that you've written.

My concern is more with the portion that I've written myself (rather than those extremely long titles that Amazon gives to products). 

Isn't there any way to fix this?

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do you have an example?

brandonhart100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Paul,

As Cagsil and I discussed below this is a problem when you check the "number the list" option for an Amazon capsule and have it aligned to the right. I generally don't use the "number the list" option because of this issue so I thought I would bring it to your attention.

An example would be this hub - http://hubpages.com/hub/motherboard which I am currently in the process of re-writing

See just the first "Top 5" list to see how the words go into the "related hubs" and "tags" section.

Ok - after testing again I've noticed that Mozilla doesn't seem to have this problem but IE, Chrome, and Safari do.

I also notice a similar problem "without" just the numbered list when using a browser like Chrome for this hub:

http://hubpages.com/hub/best-motherboards-asus-gigabyte

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

Thanks, we've added investigating this to our TODO list.

2. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

So the issue seems to be that webkit based browsers (chrome and safari) don't wrap long words at the forward slash character, while firefox does.  This causes things like "P67/CrossFireX&SLI/SATA3&USB3.0/A&GbE/ATX" in product names to "blow up" the box in which they are contained.

The immediate solution you have is to select a different version of the products that have long "words" in them (which I realize may not always be possible on Amazon).  We will see if there is something we can do on our side, but that may take some time ...

While there aren't replacement versions I appreciate the help and I'll look forward to the fix sometime in the future.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Hey Brandon,

Amazon words from Amazon capsules are not going to wrap around anything. Never have and the descriptions are usually short to begin with.

Aside from that, when an Amazon capsule is on the right side, it would wrap around anything anyways. It would keep the wording in a tight formation, which would go straight down.

Cagsil - I realize where the words would have to go and I'm not sure whether they need to figure out how to shorten the titles or if it's even possible.

When you place your own comments in there you have control over how long it will be, but even a single sentence goes straight into the right side of the page. 

The Amazon words do in fact wrap and so do comments right now... they just go into the ads and other hub suggestions first before going into the next line.

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Okay, it seems as though we(you and I) are not on the same page.
        I'm not sure what you mean by "comments"? Are you talking about headers? If so, then they will not wrap unless there is something next to it. If the capsule is on the right side, then it automatically wraps.
        I don't understand this statement. I reviewed a one of my hubs that has headers on the Amazon capsules and ALL of the headers wrap. Maybe I am misunderstanding you? hmm

I apologize everything seems to work correctly except for when you Number the list. 

If you number the list and put the Amazon capsule into the right side of the page - everything goes into the side of the page.

The best method for using Amazon capsules is to use them individually for each product. It's an option to put more than one product in a capsule, but that isn't the best format.

I understand what you are saying now and that could be a glitch in the Amazon capsule that needs to be brought to the attention of staff.

While individual product reviews are effective in most cases - top ten lists with 10 products in an Amazon capsule can be very effective money makers especially if you diversify with both brand and product price.

I should probably re-title this entry so that it will draw the appropriate attention.

Actually, the "hint" suggestion on hubs, you know the spots on the right side that have "?" while in edit modes states that individual products in capsules is most effective. However, if your experience says otherwise, then feel free to do as you please.
                If you want to draw attention, put it in the "Need Help" section. It appears that that section is watched more than this one is. And rewording your title might be good too.

Sorry I could not help more. hmm

3. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Hey Brandon,

I visited that hub and don't see what you are talking about. I guess, since Paul is here, I'm out of the conversation. Good luck. smile

Thanks for your input Cagsil - I notice this issue on all 4 browsers I use so it should be consistent. It's only for the first Top 5 list.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)