More SEO questions

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Greg Sage profile image39
    Greg Sageposted 12 years ago

If anchor text keyword relevance is so important in getting max juice from each link, how far down the chain does this extend?

For instance, if I have a site about music, and I have a comedy blog...  the comedy blog has other blog and article sites feeding it, and they have social bookmarks, .edu's, and so on feeding them.  From the bottom of the chain up to the main comedy blog, everything is matching in terms of comedy keywords.

If that site then has good authority, does that authority ONLY apply to those keywords?  In other words, can I link from the comedy blog to the music site using music keywords?  Is that just like starting over... like one single relevant link from anywhere else?

Is there a better way to do this?

Also:  If I have several long tail search terms I wish to optimize for, should I have a separate link wheel for each term?  Cram 2 or 3 of them into each link wheel so every link has anchor text containing all of them?

What if there are 10 related terms?  Generally trying to figure out if everything gets lumped together or separate structure dedicated to each term.

2. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

.edu doesn't necessarily mean quality, are teh links near to the root domain?

Don't get scammed by te people who place your link in a buried path or on a sub domain. Quality is in the content not the TLD.

Site relevance is an issue unless you have the resources to spam links across high value domains (something which leaves you at risk).

Having links from related sources is definitely the way to go, however having a few links from unrelated places does not necessarily hurt.

You need to look in to building domain trust, page trust and the latent semantic indexing of a page as well as jsut the on page keywords.

Having a link from a site which has incoming links on a different topic means it will be less relevant, however if it is really high value it may be worth a link.

Remember that the only Social tools which really pass you any noticable benefit in terms of SEO are Facebook, Twitter and Google +1.

Greg Sageposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, that's what I'm trying to figure out.  If it has high rank, but for completely different keywords, then is it or is it not "high value" in terms of linking for the new terms.

I'm not paying anyone to do anything... doing what I can and trying to focus on most important areas, and things that can be done quickly.

I haven't looked into the twitter and facebook stuff yet.  spent the past few days researching social bookmarking and general link wheel strategy.

Really trying to grasp it from 2 different perspectives... 1 links to generate traffic, and 2 links whose sole purpose is to be spidered for seo indexing purposes

I'm just wondering at the moment if I'm wasting my time building anything at all that doesn't relate directly to the keywords I'm ultimately trying to build... regardless of the traffic I can build based upon something else.

Any good resources or tutorials to learn about the social media sites as they tie in to SEO?  I actually haven't even looked at my facebook account in a year.

3. thisisoli profile image72

I would suggest SEOMoz and Search Engine Land to begin with. Avoid Warrior Forum and Digital Point like the plague until you know enough to seperate the good information from the bad.

Social Bookmarking can occasionally get you a boost in traffic, unfortunately a social bookmarking traffic boost generally lasts no more than a couple of days, hten your traffic returns to normal.  It also tends to be low quality traffic, no clicks or sales.

The Twitter firehose and Facebook public pages are used by both Google and Bing in the ranking algorithm. all you need ot know really is that the search engines look for mentions of a website on these platforms, and that there is a form of 'authority' which as with most authority dampners in teh SE algorithms will probably be a muliplier dampener with a value between 0.01 and 1. So what you reallly want is for a high authority person to mention your site on their public page.

Link wheels are definitely not a new technique, and they are also not a technique that gives any major benefits.

Google can spot a recursive loop.

Google does not like it when a site plays the linking system.

There is such a thing as the Google Sandbox, you really do no want to end up in there! 

Getting a link from a high quality site in a different niche is fine, but don't overdo it.

It's my understanding that the social bookmarking thing is not designed so much for building traffic as just to be spidered in order to generate a number of distinct do-follow links to the first tier of web2.0 properties.  It is not my intention to use them to generate traffic so much as to simply provide the numbers for panda to crunch.

I just installed seo quake, and searchstatus.

A few might actually be useful to generate traffic, but those are no follow such as delicious, etc.

Still have to look into the twitter and facebook stuff.  I've found some good info out there... lots of sales pitches, of course, but I found cliconomics among others to have some useful info.

will check out the others.

1. thisisoli profile image72
        thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Social bookmarkings only real benefit is to gain traffic. To get pages indexed you will generally have a sitemap on your site hooked up to a Google webmaster tools account.

Web 2.0 is a buzzword, so I am not sure what you mean by the tiers of web 2.0 properties.

Just out of interest which social bookmarking tools are you using that are do-follow.  For the most part they are all no-follow, many of them sneak no-follow links by placing the no follow property in the header.

As I said in an earlier post though, quality of a site is important in building backlinks.  If all you have is backlinks from sites filled with links (Which is what most SB sites equate to, what is teh search engine going to think of your site?

Remember that PR doesn't really matter that much more, getting to grips with link quality is what will make teh difference in your backlinking efforts.

A client I used to work for in the Internet Marketing field used to allocate me 5 hours of time per backlink + A Cash allowance to help seal the deal when required.  Most good IM companies that I have negaged with use similar techniques.  None of them bother with social bookmarking, the closest they get is social media tools (FB, Twitter) Which the search engines have confirmed are used in actual rankings.

4. thisisoli profile image72

Just to make things a little bit clearer here, I know some of the top people in SEO and Internet Marketing here in Austin, and I can pretty much guarantee to you right now that none of them would condone or use a link wheel.

5. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

Why do so many people pay for people to get them 1000 PR-0 links etc then?
    Obviously High PR is the way to go but I didn't think it mattered if the site was related to your niche, I mean how can Google bots distinguish that?

Wasn't trying for 1000 pr0.  Intent is to start with highest pr and work down... if I only get to so many, at least they were in right order.

6. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

No I meant lots of other people pay for 1000 PR0 on Fiverr etc

I know I have got loads of PR0 backlinks but only the high PR ones tend to show up on backlink checker lol

good to know.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)