HubPages Ad Program - New Campaign Testing New Ad Unit

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (59 posts)
  1. Marina Lazarevic profile image77
    Marina Lazarevicposted 12 years ago

For Hubbers who are participating in the HubPages Ad Program:

We are testing a new type of ad unit from now until the end of the month. The campaign is for Mrs. Meyers cleaning products, and the ad unit will expand if a user hovers or clicks on the area marked "click or hover to expand." There will be a 3 second delay upon clicking or hovering before the unit expands to cover the entire window.

In the past our advertising policy required an expanding ad to be initiated by the user with a click. Now, we are testing a more interactive unit, that is still user-initiated, but with a lower threshold for expanding. These types of units are more prevalent and yield higher CPMs than standard ad units.

You may see the ad running on Hubs in the family, holidays, home, pets, and food categories.

1. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the update Marina.

2. Ms Dee profile image87
      Ms Deeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Seems a good one to try. Thanks for letting us know. smile

3. SunSeven profile image61
      SunSevenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Any intention of publishing an update? Its almost 10 days, right?

Well, my CPM took a splash after you started testing this.

2. ProCW profile image79
    ProCWposted 12 years ago

Sounds great! smile Thanks!

3. Nell Rose profile image91
    Nell Roseposted 12 years ago

Hi, thanks for all the hard work anything that improves and helps hubs is great!

4. RedElf profile image90
    RedElfposted 12 years ago

big_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smile

5. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Something wrong. Not right.

6. Peggy W profile image96
    Peggy Wposted 12 years ago

Thanks for any efforts on your part to improve $$$'s.  Am certain that all "hubbers" feel the same.

7. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

I must have run into this accidentally somewhere while trying to view a hub-- don't remember exactly where. I thought I had done something wrong, but apparently I made an unintentional 'hover' at some point.

8. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I don't want to be the forum moaner, but aren't this type of Ad just the sort of thing to annoy the casual visitor?

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Or even the occasional well dressed visitor!  smile

1. Chuck profile image83
        Chuckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.  I also appreciate all the HubPage team is doing to help us get our traffic and earnings back up.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I found it somewhat annoying because I didn't know where it came from and what, if anything, I had done to make it appear.
      It wasn't something I was looking for, and I hoped it wasn't a virus.
      Also, it didn't seem to have an easily detectable 'close' button. I think I quit my browser and then reactivated to get back to where I wanted to be.

I thought only people who signed on to test this could see it.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And that is the user experience I'm talking about right there. I was thinking of writing a hub with mouse park pictures on it, so the viewer could be sure they weren't going to get spammed.
        I thought pop ups went out about five years ago?  Or were listed in the most annoying things about pages?
        Back arrow and stop the site from appearing on new searches might just be a user response.
        I know there's a balance between sales and text to be made - please try to put yourself in the shoes of our all too occasional viewers.

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image77
          Marina Lazarevicposted 12 years agoin reply to this

To clarify, this unit is not a pop-up. These are still in violation of our ad policy. Pop-ups automatically open up a new window over the existing page. The unit we are running is a more conservative "expandable" ad unit, which at the most basic level, is distinct from a pop up because it is (1) user-initiated and (2) expands out of an existing ad unit.

Also, we are testing this unit only with the Mrs. Meyers campaign. It will be done on June 30, and we will assess the impact. Keep in mind that each individual user can see this specific ad just one time a week at most.

Thanks for all of the great feedback!

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91

It may be user initiated, and not an actual pop up-- but, as some have mentioned, it seems to be opened easily by accident. 
            Also, when I did it accidentally, it covered most of the screen so I thought I had gone to a whole new page. It didn't seem to have an obvious close button. Maybe that was just my experience.
            I ended up closing my browser and restarting, to get rid of it. I wouldn't want my readers to do this, if they had just found my page.

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image87
      DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Indeed!  I detest, despise, hate and abhor those kinds of ads.  They are SO very annoying, when you are trying to read an article, and even an accidental bump of the mouse, or when  trying to scroll down the page, if the mouse should wander, a stupid ad pops up right in your face, blocking the very thing you are trying to read!!
      I can't stand those kinds of ads!!  Even though I am not participating in this experiment, I am speaking from my experience as a reader of articles on other sites.  I think this is an extremely BAD MOVE on the part of HP!!

1. Sally's Trove profile image77
        Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for putting the exact words in my mouth.

I detest these kinds of ads, will never return to a site that uses them, and in addition, will not send my friends here to HP to read my Hubs or anyone else's.

Find another way...this ad strategy is not it.

4. Sally's Trove profile image77

Close, Mark...they are the type of thing to annoy any visitor.

Yep.  I don't know why I said casual.  I guess mine never seem keen.

9. Marina Lazarevic profile image77
    Marina Lazarevicposted 12 years ago

Hi all,
    We're trying to gauge how well this ad is received by users. We have the unit running at a maximum of 1 view per visitor in a week. Feel free to post your opinions on the ad unit in this thread.

10. K9keystrokes profile image82
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

Appreciate the steps HP team has been taking to improve author income and traffic. Look forward to seeing how great the test works!
    Cheers~ smile

11. CASE1WORKER profile image62
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

I am not generally in favour of this type of ad as it detracts from the written work- hey i am not in it for the money ( if i was i'd be broke!) but i understand some are and hope that this will bring in more $$$$$$$$$

12. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

HP ads revenue seems to be consistently less that half what it was a couple months ago.

I am depressed. smile

I am generally anti-mouseover. But since the user gets fair warning with the "click or hover to expand" notice, I don't consider it a no-no.

13. earner profile image82
    earnerposted 12 years ago

They're annoying.

I only just logged on to see if there are any reports/measures of Hub ads -v- adsense... as I'm thinking of turning off Hub ads shortly as I'm sure the Adsense CPM was double.

So, came here to read for opinions... then I was going to run some CPM reports and decide.

So you can put your cleaning ad idea right in the camp of "didn't get a vote up" from me.

14. Azure11 profile image84
    Azure11posted 12 years ago

I hate these type of ads because I always seem to activate them by mistake and they really annoy me - just hope the readers don't feel the same (and that I don't have many ads in those categories).

1. WriteAngled profile image75
      WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree.

I also do not return to the offending web site if I can possibly avoid it.

2. Sally's Trove profile image77

Agreed.

15. dariashakti profile image62
    dariashaktiposted 12 years ago

I have to agree. While I appreciate the efforts of the powers that be, I also never return to a site that has pop up ads like this. Nor, honestly, do I want them popping up on my pages to which I send friends and colleagues.

16. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

Interesting and thanks smile

17. megmccormick profile image67
    megmccormickposted 12 years ago

So appreciate all you do to keep HubPages a viable place for us to write and all your efforts to help us generate extra income is just plain super duper groovy! Thanks so much!

18. Mrs. Menagerie profile image88
    Mrs. Menagerieposted 12 years ago

Oooops,I know we are never supposed to click on our own ads...I accidentally "hovered" too long and opened a Mrs. Meyers ad.  Am I going to get in trouble?
    Now that I know, I can be much more careful in the future.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91

Yes, this is another problem. We know we are not supposed to click on ads in a casual or flippant way.
      I did it by accident before I even knew what it was. I didn't know I had "hovered". I didn't know what it was. I thought it was a glitch or a virus.
      Heaven knows, I am not much interested in housecleaning, so it HAD to be a mistake.

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image77

The ad unit will expand if you hover your mouse over the "click or hover to expand" button. The delay is intentional -- the unit will expand 3 seconds after the hover takes place.

19. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

I see only lower values in earning from hubpages ad program. Old format of ad was much better, atleast we used to get adsense clicks.

Now adsense clicks on hubs are so rare that they're appearing like sparrows in concrete city.

20. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 12 years ago

No offense meant, but isn't this the same kind of thing that Kontera used? It's horrible and whenever I come across it when I'm on the web, I leave that place and go find another place to read the same kind of thing.

The other thing, despite the drop in viewers, I still prefer adsense. I made more on adsense - even after the drop in traffic, than I do from your new ad program on impressions.

Again, I was delighted to join HP precisely because it was click per ad and now I'm back to impressions. In my experience, impressions do NOT pay well.

By removing the number of places that Adsense could be, you removed the capacity for adsense to be clicked on. I used to average about 2 or 3 clicks per 100 impressions. Now I average about 1 click every 600 or 800 clicks. That's because the space for adsense has been removed.

I understand that you're trying to improve the earnings for readers. However, I think it would be better just to stick with Adsense and allow the numbers to climb again.

I think you're going in the wrong direction.

21. dariashakti profile image62
    dariashaktiposted 12 years ago

Thanks for clarifying that, Marina, that makes me feel better. :}

22. SuperheroSales profile image57
    SuperheroSalesposted 12 years ago

Is the ad easy to close?  As long as the user can easily remove the ad from blocking text if they want to I do not see an issue with it.  I appreciate the opportunity for extra income.  Thanks, HP!

23. soni2006 profile image76
    soni2006posted 12 years ago

I am strictly against these types of ads. If I am going through a website and this happens for a single time, I never visit the site again. If the content is too important to be read at that point in time, then I go back to google search where I found the page and open the cached version so that I am able to read the content without any obstruction.

So these types of ads should be total no no at HP.

24. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

As we are on the subject of adverts I just did a double take on a hub I was looking at.  A moving graphic, very bright and eye catching, telling me my IP address had 'potentially' won a TV.

I don't know if that's a Google Ad or an HP one, and I suppose it works...

But I don't like it.

1. skear profile image92
      skearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not a fan of them either but whatever works.  I think more people are becoming ad blind so the marketing people have had to go a bit crazy to get clicks.

1. WriteAngled profile image75
        WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But it doesn't work! Loud, intrusive, flashing stuff on a web page simply drives people away.

If I land on any web page that has anything flashing or animated in any way, a video or music playing automatically, or large, garish ads, I immediately assume such a site does not have anything of value to me whatsoever. I leave without reading a word and do not return.

I am not the only one to say this here. Why are you not taking note of the fact many hubbers think these ads are driving readers away? Why are you making this site appear cheap and trashy?

I also note that most of the big HubAds, as well as being cheap and trashy, have nothing whatsoever to do with the topic of the Hub. At the moment, I am getting huge ads for putting photos on canvas whenever I look at any of my hubs.

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image77

Mark,

The ad you're describing is in violation of our ad policy. It could have been served by Google AdSense or another ad network through the HubPages Ad Program. If you could grab a screen shot of the ad and send it to adops@hubpages.com, we can verify the network serving it and get the ad blocked.

Thanks!

Ah, OK, thanks Marina.  Unfortunately I can't even remember which hub it was on, but I will try to remember next time I see one that looks a bit dodgy.

25. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 12 years ago

Hopefully I don't have too many hubs in that category. I don't want to annoy my visitors. :S

I do have one Hub in a category that would spawn a Meyers ad (that is, if the Meyers ad is content-spawned). If the Meyers ad in its current invasive version shows up on my Hub, my words will look stupid and uninformed, because I don't talk about Meyers products. An unobtrusive AdSense ad, even a larger graphic HP ad for a product that competes with the content of my Hub is fine...because it doesn't obliterate my text.

I know I already had a lot to say in this thread about this new campaign, but I couldn't resist putting in two more of my cents.

I think this thread warrants debate.  I have been thinking it over. We spend time, or some of us do, trying to ensure an on message read for a viewer that might lead to a click on associated ads.  I don't get the point of unrelated advertising.
        Those fish pedicures were an example.  What on earth?

I agree, Mark, but I think that might be another thread, or maybe there's already a thread out there about HP ad relevance.

When HP first started their Ad program in March, I was delighted to see relevant HP ads on my Hubs. That has changed.

However, I haven't done the necessary detailed investigation to show that change, so I can't raise too much of a flag right now.

So if there's another thread out there, let's get involved with it, if not, then I nominate you to start one. smile

Meanwhile, at the end of this month, I'm disabling HP ads and going back to AdSense. I owe myself that experimentation.

26. manthy profile image61
    manthyposted 12 years ago

Thanks for the update - I am thankful that HB is looking for more ways to generate income for us!

27. wheelinallover profile image76
    wheelinalloverposted 12 years ago

Has anyone tried underlining text which would open ads in another window. This is currently the taught method for getting people to other sites to buy things related to content for website owners who use affiliate marketing.

This should even help with panda as there could be less ads on a page but still ways to get a customer based now on content they trust. I understand that this would be harder to teach especially to newbies. I do think however a few good hubs about it would make it viable. In my opinion this lack of being able to hit from content is costing every hubber possible sales.

I am another one who gets annoyed when trying to read something only to have something pop up and cover what I am trying to read. If the information is not something which really holds my interest I will leave the page and not return.

28. Dolores Monet profile image93
    Dolores Monetposted 12 years ago

While I really like the Meyers products (I think it's them) the idea of running those kinds of ads do not make me happy. When I run into an article that displays ads that take over the article, I am so out of there. Do no like this one little bit. (I am usually enthusiastic about HP changes)

29. danfresnourban profile image60
    danfresnourbanposted 12 years ago

I commend HP for continually trying to improve, however I agree with some of the other comments about agravating links. I trust that hp will implement with cautiion, which it sounds like they are doing.

30. SunSeven profile image61
    SunSevenposted 12 years ago

My HP earnings and cpm took a dive after this testing began. sad

Any correlation?

31. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I have to agree that I hate these ads and consider them pop-ups. Therefore I do hope they 'fail' the testing....

32. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

I had a person decide to come check out my hubs based on some LinkedIn comment I had made. The reason I know is because this is what she wrote on LinkedIn:

"I went to check out your humor hubs on Hubpages, but I got some weird pop up that blocked out my screen. I didn't know what it was, and I didn't click on anything, so I shut down my browser and left. Sorry."

I actually found myself apologizing.

Great.  So she thinks you're a spam merchant.

33. tlpoague profile image80
    tlpoagueposted 12 years ago

I think it is great that HP is going through an effort to make changes to improve the site, but here lately there are a few that I am just not enjoying as much. I have been finding these ads annoying and some hard to find the close button. The flashy ads that were mentioned earlier I have seen show up on some of my hubs. I was once told that they were a scam and had a virus attached, so I avoid clicking on them out of caution since I am not very computer savy.
    Just curious, is there a way to keep the hovering ad from opening so big it takes over everything? I dislike these as much as the one's that talk to you and you can't figure out where they came from until you scroll to the bottom of the page. It is distracting. I wish HP the best of luck working this out.

34. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Down this road there is places like Examiner.com that I won't even touch now because they strew your screen with pop over and unders and sounds.  Ew.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)