dofollow, or nodofollow - does it even matter?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

On the Info Barrel forum someone stated that Google gives a "hell to the no," regarding it's classification or purported prejudices concerning nodofollow vs dofollow. . . .folks are saying,

"werd up, hommie, I know teh Googlz, and they don't give a flip"

Pardon my vernacular - I'm a bit dim, sort of like the fat guy in Anthony Burgess' novel about the orange clock, or whatever. . . .

Do you believe this stuff?  Verification?  Consternation? Contradiction?

What do you think?

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are two reasons you want backlinks.

One is for Google.  Google's algorithm looks at the number of "do follow" links you have to your site - the more links, the better your ranking. 

The other is for real people.  A reader will click on a link whether it's "do follow" or "no follow".  If you have a speciality subject, it can be very valuable to join a forum and post your related links there (either in your signature, or to respond o a question), because real people will see it and follow it.

So both have their value.

Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've been so busy producing hubs, info barrels, etc - and trying to learn how this whole game even works. . . .that joining forums is the one thing I keep hearing about that I've not done.

I'm dying to get to over a 100K page views. . . I think I'm going to have to dive into this forum thing.

Some people say it's a waste of time, but I've always found it to be quite effective for attracting real people.

1. profile image0
            Travis_S_Musicposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I believe it would be very effective. My one and only problem is laziness. I have yet to really care to go searching for places to post my links, or to make more and more accounts to link my content. It's just a hassle for my being lazy. I try to excuse myself from it saying I'm just too busy...though I generally am not. I have a problem with keeping interested in works. I get distracted a lot. I'll get all into something, then get tired of it and go to something new, and the process continues. It's annoying really. I'm pushing myself to be more disciplined and to focus on things I really should be focusing on.

Do this - download the AddThis extension for either chrome or firefox - it's got all sorts of site options for bookmarking/sharing/backlinking . . .that's the easiest tool I know of for the gig.

Mr. Sunforged, however, is definitely THA MAN to listen to, not me.

Yes, AddThis is handy for bookmarking and sharing, but that's not enough.

Bookmarking sites are low value backlinks. Sharing is getting more important, but what you really want are contextual backlinks.

splain that to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oops, sorry.

I'm not an expert either but here's my understanding.

Google's algorithm uses several measures to judge whether to include your blog/website/Hub in search engine results, and how high to place it.  One big element is how many other sites link TO you.  But it's thought that Google doesn't just count the links - it looks at the quality of the links.

Google would have to be pretty dumb not to realize that bookmarking sites (which were originally intended for people to recommend the best sites) are now dominated by writers promoting their own stuff.  Same with directories.  Therefore Google doesn't give those links as much value as links from proper websites, especially if those links are in the body of an article rather than just slapped on a "Links" page.

That's why professional webmasters actually pay to be allowed to write articles on other people's blogs, would you believe.  And that's why sites like HubPages, Infobarrel, Excerptz, Xobba, Thisisfreelance etc are so valuable - because you can write articles which include links to your site AND get paid too.

It's also the reason why ultimately, once you've hit on a good topic with good money-making potential, it makes more sense to start your own site - because then you can focus all your attention to writing articles in as many places as possible to promote one site.  It's a lot of work getting links to your Hubs because they're all individual and all have to be promoted separately.

2. Horse Feathers profile image60
      Horse Feathersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I receive, mostly trash, from so called experts all the time about getting on the first page of Google in days. Some say they cheat and get away with it.
      I try most most strategies that shouldn't make Google mad.  If they work, it doesn't seem so. according to my success. I have been informed by a few customers they found me in Google or Yahoo.
      I link my stuff to my sites and like to add Hub to them.
      When I find the means to generate quality traffic I'll be happy!
      Great Hub! I'll be back to see what every one is saying.

2. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

Marisa's point about real people is very valid.

Many run around telling you to not bother with  "nofollow" links

That is a mistake from both perspectives ( SEO / Natural Promotion)

Without revealing too much, there is one very well known site that gives nofollow links - but they also at one time did well with QDF (freshness boost)

By creating a small summary and a link about very competitive topics i was often able to generate hundreds of hits a day from one "nofollow" link, my first time breaking $100 in a day online involved using a nofollow traffic source.

Did it provide long term link juice..no, was it worth the effort (30 seconds) hell yeah!

nofollow or not, locations that get eyes are good.

from a seo standpoint - a common and seemingly rational theory is that g can recognize unnatural link profiles. Naturally, people link all over the place when they share and reference articles, regular users dont pay any attention to (dofollow/nofollow) so if you pay undue attention and only generate intentional high PR dofollow links, your linking structure may be seen  as unnatural.

Never tested that or anything...but seems logical.

Does google pass page rank via nofollow links? index those links? all you need to know about nofollow -> http://www.google.com/support/webmaster … swer=96569   

Do other search engines pay attention to nofollow tags - not really , some do, but none in the same way as Google.

Have I made myself clear?

Alex: As an unmuddied lake, Fred. As clear as an azure sky of deepest summer. You can rely on me, Fred.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, you're a knowledge tease!!

er. . . .a "quick link" tease anyway.

I wish I had your web knowledge. . . .in it's entirety.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I think OP was asking whether of not "no follow" stops backlinks for having an SEO benefit.

In my experience do follow links are far more effective.  I am not sure whether no follow is just less effective or not at all.  I still use them to gain traffic and to link to resources without draining out too much of my own PR (such as on a page with 200 outgoing links).

4. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

Yes Dofollow links are links that Google bots are programmed to recognize, some other links might not be picked up

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)