A bit of fun with Google +1

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)
  1. timorous profile image82
    timorousposted 12 years ago

Here's the first line in the code that webmasters see when they want to download the code for implementing the +1 button:

Place this tag in your head or just before your close body tag

It's even more fun if you don't have a clue about HTML. big_smile

Just in case you have intentions of putting the +1 button on your site...it's still full of bugs, and slows down your page loading time, sometimes noticably, depending on your browser.

I haven't gotten it to work, even in Chrome.  It's no wonder Hubpages is still on the fence on this one.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL!

Thanks for the tip about the bugs with the button.  I've been feeling guilty about not putting it on my sites (because I'm clueless about HTML!!) - you've reassured me that I'm not missing much at this point!

2. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

once this +1 is working properly, maybe it should be implemented instead of vote up/vote down (which do nothing at all?)

1. sofs profile image77
        sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That seems like the hottest ideas around here.. smile

2. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

?

Google +1 is super easy to implement. Could cause some delay - but no more then a twitter button,facebook share or any other share platform that uses an external call or script. If you had said analytics is a page lag Id be with you...

Why would you be downloading a code?

Its copy/paste

http://www.google.com/intl/en_us/webmasters/+1/button/

What you pasted in red is just a comment - the code is just

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script>

to enable

and

"<g:plusone></g:plusone>"

to display

If your are running any common CMS some developers has surely made a simple plugin for you by now also

I havent enabled it on all my sites yet either, but thats only because im giving preference to the FB like button. I dont expect users to click more than one share (if any) and "like" has a more established user base. But, thats just my curent personal preference.

I havent seen many complaints that match your own across development and design communities.

What was your page speed before adding button compared to after?

Its the 4th of July weekend here .. this may be hard to read as Ive been on a mission to drink my state dry... but i oculd still install a +1 button now smile

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually that has been a complaint of mine - I've tried several sharing plugins on my Wordpress sites and found nearly all of them slowed things down badly.  My sites are running in the mid-80's and some of the plugins reduced the speed into the 70's, which I don't think is acceptable.

I finally settled on AddThis, but the most recent update seems to be broken.

3. timorous profile image82
      timorousposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@sunforged
      ha...you took my post way too seriously.  I realize the part in red is a comment, and that the whole thing is copy and paste.  I still can't get it to work.  I'll figure it out though.

Nevertheless, you may be interested in reading this blog about the problems I mentioned:  Google +1 Button Performance Review

I haven't actually done any testing myself, although the Like button does slow things down a bit.  You should also keep in mind that not everyone has a high-speed connection, and it may become an issue for them.

3. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I installed a +1 button on my one of my sites.

I attempted to do it first by adding code to post.php, but made a mess of it and fked the whole site! I couldn't undo, and hadn't backed up.

So I had to download and instal a new theme to get out of it.

Live and learn!

After that, I just installed a plugin to do the job.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)