Hubber Score Again

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Inspirepub profile image72
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

OK, this is weird.

I have five times as many fans, my average score across my Hubs is consistently 69 or 70, I have a whole lot more Hubs, yesterday I brought a rush of traffic from outside to one of my Hubs, and I have progressed from "Prodigy" to "Expert". I have been diligently reading, thumbing, commenting, and posting in the Forums.

In short, doing everything I have been told is required for a good Hubber score.

And my Hubber score hes been sliding steadily downward for the past 24 hours or so.

It's below 80 again.

Sigh.

Any ideas?

Jenny

1. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 16 years agoin reply to this

As long as your Author Score is above 75 and your individual hubs are above 50 then I wouldn't worry about it.

2. quotations profile image87
      quotationsposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Hi, one thing I noticed is that on at least one of your hubs, the links all pointed to your other published hubs. There is nothing wrong with that, but I have noticed that hubpages rewards and gives a higher score when you link to other relevant pages or sites that you are not affiliated with. The reason is that if you have high quality links to other resources or sites, your article is more likely to be helpful and informative. The higher the average score of your own hubpages, the higher your personal hubscore will be. You might want to try adding some links to external sites and see if that helps the hubscore.

But also keep in mind that the hubscore is, as far as I can tell, determined by a computer algorithm and computers are not that intelligent. They cannot assess artistic merit, for example. And sometimes, they come up with strange results. I once saw someone's hub that consisted of  a single poorly written paragraph and yet it had a score in the high 80's. Go figure.

I have also written about the hubscore here: http://hubpages.com/hub/what_does_the_hub_score_mean

2. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

Have you asked the hubpage team?

team@hubpages.com

I can't see anything wrong with your hubs - they appear informative, well laid out and and well written. I disagree with the notion you are promoting, but that's just a personal opinion.

Are all the outbound links to the same site?

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Jenny,

After giving it some thought, I think I might be up to something. Watching what you are doing here, I noticed that you tend to push things to the limit. In all senses. Could it be that your hubs have too many limits pushed at the same time?

Like HP has the rule of no more than two links to the same site in one hub, and you have exactly two in the majority of your hubs. Not one, but two - limit. Also, HP has a rule of too many links to the same site across several hubs. I'm not sure where you stand there exactly, but this could easily be the limit or over the limit.

Your texts are not exactly duplicate content by search engines definition, but they are compiled of the several pieces available on your other sites, sprinkled by a couple of unique sentences. I don't know how far this pushes the limits of HP duplicate content checker.

I don't know your fan making tactics, and can't comment on it, but it has its limits, too.

All in all I would think that you need to ease it up a bit - and everything should go smooth then.

By the way, your way of asking for and receiving help also pushes it to the limit. I don't feel appreciated as I normally do when I help people. We are not paid to help you, we are not obliged to do so, we are doing this just because we feel like that, in our spare time. It may be just me feeling this way, and it may be my personal communication problem - but despite of the fact that I like you personally, I think this is my last attempt to try to help you here.

Inspirepubposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Hi Misha,

I am sorry if you are feeling unappreciated - I certainly do appreciate your comments! And I can see that you are a prolific poster on these forums, so it's not just me you're helping.

As somebody else noticed, I am very frustrated. When I am being measured, and the measurements have consequences, and I can't get clear guidelines about how to influence the measurements, it drives me bananas.

It's probably something to do with having a mother with a mental illness when I was very small - not being able to influence how others respond to me back then was very traumatic indeed, actually life-threatening, and the emotional echo does tend to recur. Even when, in this case, it's a sodding computer responding! (Thanks, quotations, for reminding me of that!)

I'll just take a deep breath and wait a week or so.

Jenny

4. amy jane profile image71
    amy janeposted 16 years ago

Hi InspirePub,

You sound so frustrated.
    I am by no means an expert here and these are just general things that I have noticed by hanging around a little - but take some time to look closely at some of the top rated hubbers and their hubs.  They all, for the most part incorporate certain elements that everyone can use. Aside from the high quality content (which I think was already discussed), they incorporate photos, clipart, video,  and an abundance of links  with descriptions of what you can expect when you follow them. Pay attention to layout and design as well and make your hubs easy on the eyes.

I don't know if all of this is calculated into your score  but I think incorporating these elements should increase your traffic overall.  smile

1. Whitney05 profile image82
      Whitney05posted 16 years agoin reply to this

I do agree that a nice layout that is easier on the eyes, will improve time spent on a hub, which, if I remember looks good in terms of search engines. When people do a search, find your hub, and immediately click backwards, this looks poorly on the site.  Sprucing up your layouts may increase the score of your individual hubs, which in turn may help out your hubber score. Other than that, you've only been here 2 weeks; give it some time.

5. amy jane profile image71
    amy janeposted 16 years ago

Hi Misha,

I think you  have a point,  but I had already submitted my reply when I saw yours.
    I have been following this topic for a while (on previous threads) and you are always helpful and honest.
    Thank you from me, anyway!

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Sure Amy Jane, I don't see any problem here smile

And thanks for thanks big_smile

7. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 16 years ago

I think your biggest problem is impatience.  You seem to want "something" to happen and you want to see it happen right now.  If there's one thing I've learned in a decade of creating web content it's that true sustaining growth happens in slow and subtle ways.  Any big spikes or leaps get followed by big drops.

I agree with the comments that your links have a very small spread in where they are pointing and what resources you're offering, and that the type of content that you offer does not differ very much from your Hubs and your other website.

Also, leaving identical comments three times on a Hub, which you did to one of mine this AM, tripped a HubPages filter and it marked your comments as spam.  That sort of commenting behavior will definitely hurt you and should be an obvious no-no.

1. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 16 years agoin reply to this

And with luck you may see an ever so slight increase on the daily average.

2. Inspirepub profile image72

Hi relache,

I didn't realise that was happening - I posted a comment, and it didn't show up, so I refreshed the screen, and Hubpages gave me back my text box with all my words in it, as though it hadn't actually processed my comment. The same thing happened the second time, and eventually I figured that either you have a setting to stop people seeing comments before you approve them, or HubPages is just having technical problems.

I'm sorry it actually turned up at your end three times - that wasn't my intention!

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I have all my comment capsules set to not show comments unless I approve them.  The more Hubs you have and the more traffic you get, the more you have to deal with people leaving spam and other undesirables in your comments.

Yes, it makes sense - I think you're just the first person I've commented who had that setting on. I'll know what to look for from now on!

I have the same problem with a couple of my blogs. Roll on the day I have so much Hub traffic it's a problem for me here ...

Jenny

8. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 16 years ago

One thing to keep in mind is the quality of the sites you link to.  Some of your Hubs have links that have been flagged by our system as suspect.  Linking to high quality sites will help you.

9. Inspirepub profile image72
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up, Paul.

How do I find out which links are suspect? As far as I know, I am linking to good quality sites. Is there somewhere I can look to find out which ones are considered suspect?

Jenny

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)