Check your articles. Articlebase.com stole my article.

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (28 posts)
  1. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 12 years ago

I think we need an ongoing thread  to discuss sites that are stealing articles. We can compare notes, and see if the website is amenable to taking down articles. It happens all the time, and it would help us and provide a learning experience for those unfamiliar with plagiarism. My article was about cancer and contained a brief sketch about my husband, very personal to me. The site claims that everything has to be original. How original is that? I have asked the site for the address to send a take down notice.

2. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

I like your idea of having an ongoing thread.  It's a subject a lot of us don't know enough about and I know that for me it has been other Hubbers who have helped me to know what to do.

Good idea!

3. profile image51
    My neck is redposted 12 years ago

I thought that site was for users to submit theirs. I didn't know it was a scraping website. is that what you're saying.

4. brakel2 profile image73

People submit articles there   Someone copied  mine  and submitted it as their own. Others can use their articles I believe.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hate it when people take articles that involve personal stories. My hub on breast cancer was posted elsewhere too and it was mostly in the first person.

I think places like Articlesbase are good at taking down copied content, it's in their own best interest.

1. IzzyM profile image85
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes Articlesbase are very good at taking down copied content. Just email them with a link to the copied content and a link to your hub, with the date of publication.

I wonder how many hubs on Hubpages are copied content from other sites? Even though they are now disallowing copied articles, I bet thousands still exist that 'they haven't got round to yet'.

Probably the people on those other sites, like Articlesbase, think Hubpages is full of people who steal content.

2. brakel2 profile image73

Well, that site got the article from another site that lists all addresses in Maylasia. No one told me. I just did further checking. I may stop trying to follow my stolen articles. It takes too much time. There is nothing we can do about foreign countries. Maybe I can write more hubs and make more money.

1. IzzyM profile image85

Yeah its nightmare city trying to stop plagiarism on the net! If you find someone has your content, and won't take it down, or ignore emails, or you can't find out who to email about about it, type the url into www.whois.com.
        You should be able to see the name of the site owner with whatever details they chose to reveal, plus the hosting company.
        Most hosting companies seem to be US-based  (mine are too, and I am not in the US!).
        Send the DMCA to them. They must, by law, take action.

3. R.S. Hutchinson profile image71
      R.S. Hutchinsonposted 12 years ago

How did you discover the plagerism

Where is the date on the hubs that would prove when you first published it?

1. IzzyM profile image85

The date of publication is on your stats page here on HP.

4. melbel profile image93
      melbelposted 12 years ago

I would like to know if my hubs have been copied by the site. Another site, several months ago, had ripped several of my articles, but they used my user name so all I had to search for was my username.

Do I just search for the title of one of my hubs? Some text from the hub? I have several hubs so it would take a while to check each one. Let me know how you found out. smile

5. brakel2 profile image73

I found the stolen  articles on same page with my own article on web.

6. brakel2 profile image73

I enter keywords or whole title in looking for my own article and so by accident I have found stolen ones

brakel2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Articles.base.com took down my duplicate article two days after I notified customer support at the site. YAAAAAY!!

1. theherbivorehippi profile image65
          theherbivorehippiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

smile Nice job!

1. celebritie profile image69
            celebritieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow that is good they took action!

2. brakel2 profile image73

Thanks hippi for your encouragement.

7. Stacie L profile image89
      Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

I'm having an ongoing problem with a Canadian realtor company website that passes my articles form one to another. Google took down one last week and now it's on another ones page.I emailed the parties involved again.....sigh

I thought that it was difficult to get it taken down in another country. Was the server or site owner in the U.S? How did you do it?

Now another article is on the site? Keep plugging away. Don't give up if you had success once.

1. Stacie L profile image89
          Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

i filed a DMCA with Google. anyone that uses them for searches and steals my adsense earnings is going to be dealt with...

8. ThussaysNanaMarie profile image60
      ThussaysNanaMarieposted 12 years ago

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
      Marie

I'll do it every time. Hope you enjoy HubPages/

9. brakel2 profile image73

Posterous.com has stolen an article. We need to make a list.Mine are: flixya.com,  concretebeamfloors.com,.  posterous.com, articlesbase.com,

10. atulhost profile image60
      atulhostposted 12 years ago

There is one thing called syndication, if you agreed for syndication of your article while submitting it to any website then they automatically get the rights to republish your article with the links contained in it. I hope this is not the case with 'brakel2' and others.

1. IzzyM profile image85

I have seen Hubpages wrongly described as an article syndication site, but it is not. Anyway, if you use someone else's article and do not post back full links to the writer, then you will be liable for a duplicate content penalty as well as leaving yourself wide open to prosecution.

11. Susan Ng profile image82
      Susan Ngposted 12 years ago

Man, it's such a pain when someone plagiarizes our articles. I dread seeing those red ©'s and having to go through the hassle of sending take down requests. Looking at the bright side though, I guess it means I'm writing articles that are worthy of being plagiarized. lol

12. Cheeky Girl profile image67
      Cheeky Girlposted 12 years ago

That's a good result. I remember reading about Papatoto early this year when they also were ripping other Hubber's articles from Hub Pages. Caused a stir!

13. trecords0 profile image62
      trecords0posted 12 years ago

I search my own special keywords that no one else knows about every once in a while to see where they are getting picked up.  The other day I found a wordpress site that looked like hubpages.  Latest hubs is what I think it's called, but they had used one of my words and also a photo.  I left a message about their violation.  I had mixed feelings though because I want the words to start getting used.  I had to do it though because of the Pic.  It's always a good idea to regularly check for your articles.  Making up your own word and using it as a tag on everything you post on the net will ensure that it's your content.  Another thing: once you make up your word you can put it into the UrbanDictionary (.com) and that is like a poor mans copyright.  Your entry is dated.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)