Google asking for phone number

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Just Ask Susan profile image89
    Just Ask Susanposted 12 years ago

This is not really big deal but I just signed into google adsense  reports and there was a message there saying if I didn't supply my phone number I could lose my account. I put in my phone number and went to where I wanted to go but I did find this a little strange. Is this something new? Has this happened to anyone else?

1. Urbane Chaos profile image90
      Urbane Chaosposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If I remember right, I think I had to do that as well.  Google send me an authorization text message that I had to put in to have my account activated.  A lot of websites are doing this now - Facebook almost requires it.  It's a good way to combat spam, I think..

Just Ask Susanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have had my account with them for over a year now and they already had my phone number...I suppose that is why I found it strange.

1. IzzyM profile image88
          IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe you had a hacking attempt on your account? I've had that on Gmail and the first I have known about is when Google contacted me and asked me to input my phone number, then they texted me back if I remember rightly.

IzzyM Never thought of that. Thanks.

2. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
      Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

To be honest, Susan, I can't remember whether I had to provide a phone number or not. If I did, however, given that I have moved house six (maybe seven?) times since I opened my Google Adsense account in 2007, any number they have won't be much good to them or anyone else! smile

1. IzzyM profile image88
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You've moved house six or seven times in 4 years? What are you? A criminal on the run? LOL

2. seanorjohn profile image72
    seanorjohnposted 12 years ago

Susan, you have nothing to worry about. Remember, Google's motto is "don't be evil."              You are safe.

I just sent off my bank details to an equally ethical firm whose motto is reasurringly "Don't be greedy".

3. Rob Winters profile image75
    Rob Wintersposted 12 years ago

Yep this happened to me yesterday when logging into my gmail. I think it's just an extra security to be able to access your a/c certain circumstances if things go wrong maybe in case you lose password & username etc.

Thanks and glad to know that I am not the only one smile

4. giselenmendez profile image61
    giselenmendezposted 12 years ago

Don't need to worry, it happened to me as well. The weird thing was to receive a phone call from Google with an authorization code when I wasn't expecting it, I had to run to the other room looking for a pen and a piece of paper in order to write it down... I wonder why the phone keeps on eating my pens and notebooks wink

5. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 12 years ago

It must be related to our clothes closet, which eats coat hangers - I think it's selling them to someone for bicycle spokes big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

1. giselenmendez profile image61
      giselenmendezposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are right! big_smile!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)