Hermeticism

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. szts77 profile image61
    szts77posted 12 years ago

Hi everyone.

A few days ago I began doing a little research on some religions and cults I found interesting, and came across Hermeticism. Now, as much as I read about it, I don't think I was able to quite grasp the ideas, views and beliefs behind this old religion.

Does anyone know anything about it?

Also, meanwhile, I came across the Golden Dawn order and the Rosicrucians. I would be ever so grateful if anybody helped me out and explained to me a little about each one, their roles in history and how they are interconnected between each other.

Thank you!

1. profile image53
      ibneahmadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Who was the founder of Hermeticism? Did he receive Word of Revelation from the Creator God? As you know truthful religions in their origin at least were based on Word of Revelation and not on man-made philosophies.

1. szts77 profile image61
        szts77posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't exactly support religions generally. I find them fascinating as they are normally a huge part of a wonderful culture with its own mysteries and beliefs, but I myself am not religious. I simply enjoy researching different religions to see what people believed in and how everything was structured, and what religions influenced the way we are nowadays.

1. profile image53

Thank you.

You mean it was a manmade philosophy not a religion in its strictest sense.

1. Evolution Guy profile image57
            Evolution Guyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Religion is man made paarsurry. No compulsion to use rational thinking and reason instead of nonsense, such as this but it is probably a good idea. wink

1. profile image53

Name the person who invented or authored Hermeticism?

1. Jonathan Janco profile image60
                Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hermes Trismegistus

2. szts77 profile image61
            szts77posted 12 years agoin reply to this

No no no; what I meant was that all religions are manmade and I don't believe that if there was a God, he communicated in any way with anybody. I believe that everything that's written in the holy books is mostly fables, edited and altered through the centuries. I, however, respect all religious people and respect all religions, and state that my opinion is solely my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and beliefs.

And yes, Hermeticism was "invented" by Hermes Trismegistus - "Thrice Great", because he had apparently conquered the three parts of wisdom.

2. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

Hermeticism is a theistic, or sometimes pantheistic reverence to Hermes or Herm. Herm is a term used by pre-classical Greeks to define a monolithic stone pillar that was thought to be an Earthly vessel of God. Whereas, Hermes, is a personified deity popularized during the classical era. The god of knowledge was said to have received emerald tablets from the elder gods that contained wisdom that explained the universe. Hermes would in turn decide which humans would have the privelege of having this wisdom passed down to them. Classical Hermeticism is claimed to have inspired not only Christianity but also Gnosticism. We are possessed by The All (God) and our greater submersion into the material plane furthers our ignorance of The All.

Rosicrucianism is a Hermetic/Christian movement dating back to the 15th century. It consists of a secretive inner body, and a more public outer body under the direction of the inner body.

This movement is symbolized by the rose (the soul) and the cross (the body of 4 elements). In other words, the human soul crucified on the cross of the material plane.

The secretive nature of the Rosicrucians was broken by Aleister Crowley in 1905 and later by Israel Rogardie who gave a detailed account on the order's teachings to the general public.

The most comprehensive modern expansion on the tenets of Gnosticism can be found here in my opinion.

http://acim.org/

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

Hermeticism also relates to the study of alchemy.

1. Shadesbreath profile image76
      Shadesbreathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Is that what happened to your hair?

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nope, that's entirely the result of purple hair dye.

4. szts77 profile image61
    szts77posted 12 years ago

Thank you, Jonathan. I believe this is the best and most informative, explanatory answer I could have been given.

And yes, I read about Hermes and his Emerald Tablet, where he mentioned "as above, so below" and the "three parts of wisdom of the world - alchemy, theurgy and astrology", which leads to relache's answer about Hermeticism relating to history.

5. R.S. Hutchinson profile image71
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 12 years ago

For some very interesting reading and research look up :
    Rosicrucians and the Georgia guidestones.

There are several Youtube, research papers, and documentaries on that mix of words alone. Many believe the Rosicrucians are the seed of the NWO (new world order) as predicated by the Masons.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)