Suggested feature- ability to update 'related hubs'

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)
  1. CyclingFitness profile image91
    CyclingFitnessposted 12 years ago

Having looked at some of the hubs I have which are gaining a bit of traffic at present I had a look at what the 'related hubs' were on the right hand side of the page

Is there any way we as a hubber can have an influence into this?

One of my best traffic hubs from outside of hubpages has two 'related hubs' which give advice which I feel is not of the quality information I would personally feel will keep a reader engaged.

Can we have any influence over these?

For instance if we rate 'down' one of those hubs could it remove it from the related section?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

1. livewithrichard profile image73
      livewithrichardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm pretty sure that related hubs are matched by the tags that are used. If you don't want those hubs which you feel are lower quality than yours then go see which of the tags are being used are the same as yours, then eliminate those tags from your hub.  Tags are not keywords and they do not help with search engines, their only purpose is for internal linking and internal searches.

2. CyclingFitness profile image91

Thanks Richard

However I don't want to remove those tags for internal inking- I want to remove the presence of hubs I feel are misleading and don't signify quality

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

Yes, this is a problem at times.  I often find that the so-called "related hubs" are out in left field and about as UN-related as any two topics can be!
    IMO, These searches should run on the titles, not the tags, in order to offer hubs that are related more properly.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can't agree.

Your tags should accurately reflect what your Hub is about.  If your tags are producing unrelated results in the "related Hubs" section, you've made a bad choice of tags.

Bear in mind that you should never just accept the tags suggested by HubPages - be very discerning and ensure your tags truly describe your Hub.

The original poster was expressing concern over the quality of some of the related Hubs,not their relevance.

4. thooghun profile image94
    thooghunposted 12 years ago

I like this idea, and wholeheartedly agree. To ensure neutrality perhaps some kind of "randomizer" option could be introduced.

5. CyclingFitness profile image91

I'm not sure a 'randomizer' is a good idea as this may also impact on the quality of the hubs.

Maybe a separate feedback box for author's on 'Do you find the related links useful' might be a step forward thooghun

Running on titles would be a good idea if the title was wholely related to the topic

6. basaltbezel profile image60
    basaltbezelposted 12 years ago

One of the features of Hubpages is that all quality hubs have an equal chance of being displayed on the site in various places.

One of the ways this is done includes advertising other people's hubs on your hubs. If people could easily change which hubs were displayed, they'd likely try and game the system, giving those with the know how an unfair advantage - and letting those with quality hubs who don't promote them on the site less chances of visitors finding them.

Just think of it as another advertising box on your hub.

7. CyclingFitness profile image91

Thanks all- my worry is that while hubpages might deem the hubs to be of a good quality there are occassions where the language and layout is good, however the information is very poor and giving bad advice.

There are a number of hubs like these that show up at the side of some of my hubs and these are from hubbers with a large amount of established 'followers' who have all seemingly written 'great advice' fantastic hub voted up' etc when in reality the advice is very poor to anyone with knowledge over the area.

My suggestion would be some form of feedback system for hubbers to score the relevant hubs- So it might show if we 'rate up' or 'rate down' the information. I'm currently getting a significant number of views from google compare to hubpages internal traffic and therefore don't want readers to assume I agree with with the author has written as it shows on my hub.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)