dentist scare

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (52 posts)
  1. profile image48
    ladyvenusposted 14 years ago

I'm scheduled this week for tooth extraction I'm  scared!!!!!

1. JamaGenee profile image79
      JamaGeneeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dentists are trained to make pulling a tooth pain-free.  Some will even provide headphones that play your favorite music to wear during the procedure and take your mind off what's happening.

2. spiderpam profile image73
      spiderpamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh man, tell me about I've had 3 out of 4 wisdom teeth pulled. I was so loopy from the drugs I had stop taken them. Here's a little tip: Try thinking of your fav song it will help drown out the sounds of all the tools clanking around in your mouth. My prayers are with you. You'll do great! God Bless.

1. profile image48
        ladyvenusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. I need it.

3. its_the_skittle_e profile image65
      its_the_skittle_eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know your pain.
      I got my molar pulled and now they want to pull my top two wisdom teeth. I looked at them like....You want to take my only source of knowledge!!!!

It is scary but it doesn't hurt when the numb you to death.

1. profile image48

lols.Maybe 2 weeks from now I already have my one front denture. Maybe it would make my smile a lot better. How about you where are your dentures now! haha Wink*

1. demiangel profile image59
          demiangelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am scare with dentist because when they inject me with an needle it seems like i don't like to.But thanks to you ladyvenus good job=)

2. Curious Traveller profile image69
    Curious Travellerposted 14 years ago

I am terrified of dentists, too. The fear, however, is generally irrational. Tell your dentist beforehand about your fear and they will help you to deal with the procedure. They are not the evil men they appear to be!

Good luck with it and please let us know afterwards that you are OK- I am sure you will be!

1. profile image48

Sure i will look for you and tell you. But now I'm really scared.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I had one last month, it was no problem at all. Didn't hurt a bit and it was over in 20 minutes.

4. ledefensetech profile image68
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

Tell the dentist that you want the gas, you won't feel a thing.  Just make sure that you have someone to drive you home.

5. lindagoffigan profile image57
    lindagoffiganposted 14 years ago

LadyVenus, you won't feel a thing.  The dentist numb your gums and if your tooth has been paining, you will be relieved.  Don't worry.

1. profile image48

Thanks to all of you. Maybe on wed. if i feel good I'll have my  tooth extraction already.

6. Everyday Miracles profile image85
    Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years ago

I have a toothache and two teeth that I need extracted. I am *terrified* of dentists and in fact of all doctors due to some abuse situations I faced when I was a child (and let's not talk about giving birth and the way that has been handled! Next one is at home!).

We're unable right now to pay for the procedure so I feel as though I'm off the hook, but the pain is getting ridiculous.

Do they charge extra for the gas? Part of my problem is that I'm terrified of needles sad I mean *phobic,* I pass out!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I had a bit of a phobia of the dentist and put off getting the tooth out. It abscessed and I was got very sick; I had to go to the ER for antibiotics and had a high fever. I had no choice but to go to the dentist, luckily I have insurance, and found it was very painless. I didn't see the needle, I kept my eyes shut. There was a little prick but that was all.

1. profile image48

What scares me actually is the antibiotic. My last take of antibiotic was in 1998 and sometimes it makes my stomach upset. Next is I have a new lady dentist now because my male dentist clinic is not yet done because he transffered location.  I like Male dentist because their strength is different from woman but may be a lady dentist  will be more gentle.

1. Everyday Miracles profile image85
          Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm the same way with OB/GYNs. I prefer men. I'm weird and I know it, but it's for the same reasons you describe!

If the antibiotic that you took makes your stomach sick, ask for something else. Do you remember what the name of the antibiotic was?

Penicillin makes me very very ill. I have taken to asking for other antibiotics and I can usually get the doctor to give me what works for me smile

1. profile image48

cephalexin thats what my dentist given me 11 years ago.so maybe that means I can take again this time .

I would still go ahead and let her know that you've had a problem with it in the past. Most doctors (and I'm sure dentists) would rather you not have to go through unnecessary discomfort smile

7. ledefensetech profile image68
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

EM, since you can't pay for the procedure right now, you may want to look into a meditation or relaxation program to help you deal with the anxiety of getting a shot.  I used to get terrible panic attacks when I was in my early twenties.  It was horrible.  I began studying meditation techniques as part of my martial arts studies.  It took some time, but slowly I got the better or my panic attacks and have been attack free for over a decade now.

It will teach you how to breathe and that's key to keeping a phobic reaction in check.

As for the gas, I don't think the need an anesthesiologist so it shouldn't cost extra, but I'd ask to be sure.

8. Everyday Miracles profile image85

ledefensetech, any recommendations for programs or books to look into?

Uninvited Writer, I'm considering going to the ER because I know that they will have to work with me on payment plans. My fear is that I know that our ER doesn't do any kind of sedation at all, so I'm not sure how that would go. They are also inclined to practically put an IV in you in triage *sigh*. Just doesn't work for me.

It's weird, our pastor told me that for him the needle was the worst pain he'd ever had. Of course, he's not a woman who has been through childbirth either! LOL

An ER...at least in the U.S...will not do tooth extractions.  For some weird reason, teeth are not considered a part of the body like any other part.  Only dentists can extract teeth here.  An ER will only treat you if a tooth has caused a life-threatening infection...and you *really* don't want to let it get that far!

Most cities have dental clinics that charge on a sliding scale. You should look for one in your area before those two teeth get any worse.

Thank you for letting me know... That's really odd, most people have told me to go to the ER. Just to go to the ER.

I know what the price is at the clinics and it is still currently out of our price range, unfortunately. I might need to go in and have a talk with them, but the last I heard, one tooth for an unemployed homeless person cost $100. Due to unemployment we're behind on some bills right now sad

Being unemployed, you might qualify for a medical card which *will* cover dental work.  Look in the phone book for your state's Health and Human Services agency (may go by a different name).  Even if it's not the one, they can direct you to the correct one.

Or contact the local homeless shelter.  They should definitely have this information!

He's no longer unemployed -- sorry, I should have been more clear. So we're still catching up from him having been unemployed. I'll try 211 and see what they have to say!

ladyvenus, I wanted to thank you for starting this thread. I'm getting the courage I need to do what is necessary!

Both of you keep us posted.  Maybe each write a hub about your experience?

Not a bad idea! Thanks for the encouragement, JamaGenee!

2. profile image48

Sure though I'm really scared about tooth extraction. Maybe after my tooth extraction God willing I will  write an article about my experience.

2. profile image48

your welcome. Maybe my being talkative has helped.

I think so big_smile

9. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

I love the dentist. I'm my dentist's youngest patient (I live in Florida) so his office always loves when I come to visit. My teeth always feel amazing after my cleaning smile Tooth extractions aren't complicated or painful. You'll be fine. I even enjoyed getting my wisdom teeth out... but of course my oral surgeon was gorgeous and I was high as a kite smile

10. profile image48
    ladyvenusposted 14 years ago

Hi what I have done with you. You see we were talking about my tooth extraction and you come along. Are you harassing me? I dont even know you. Sorry

I done even remember commenting to your hub because I dont even
    know that you exist as a hubber here.

Fellow hubber please help with this person do you know this guy?

1. profile image48
  11. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Ignore the spammer

1. profile image48

I have not seen you for so a week in the forum.

12. Everyday Miracles profile image85

I don't think he meant "angry" anyway. I think he meant "agree."

When is your appointment?

13. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I always scare my dentists. You just have to do clap-clap snap-snap once or maximum twice, and they run away tongue

1. profile image48

Oh no tomorrow is tooth extraction schedule. I already have butterfly in my stomach.

14. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

How did it go? Did you survive? smile

Yes, please let us know! Since I share your fear I'm hoping to be encouraged! LOL

1. profile image48

One tooth extracted from me 5 hours ago. It took a while before the dentist took my tooth since I was really nervous. Shame on my 12 yr old nephew he got tooth extraction last Monday and not so nervous unlike me.

You survived! I somehow missed your update until just now and I thought maybe it hadn't gone so well! LOL! Glad you're alright!

How are you doing with the anti-biotic?

1. profile image48

I have to take that antibiotic for 5 days. I'm still on the 2nd day. I fell a little itch in my body but i just ignore it. I don't know if it's a reaction I'm just also taking probiotics to counter the negative effect of antibiotic specially to my stomach. Cause i still have 3 more gum's to be remove next week maybe. Actually I'm not afraid of extraction itself but the antibiotic grrrrrhh.

2. Misha profile image62
          Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Glad you survived smile It's not fun definitely, but it is bearable. I never take antibiotics as a preventive measure though, and advice everybody against it smile

15. profile image0
    Adam Bposted 14 years ago

I had my wisdom teeth removed from a polish dentist (not a joke) that I found in the yellow pages when I was 18.  My insurance was about to run out and I needed them removed so I found this oral surgon in the polish section of Chicago and since I only had a few days of insurance and they had an opening...I scheduled it.

I was knocked out and when I awoke I was a mess...blood everywhere on my face and shirt and I was sick from the anastesia.  I was vomiting and miserable and my mother came in trying to get me calmed down.  The doctors didn't speak english very well and decided the best option was to put me back to sleep.  They held me down and injected me with a shot that knocked me out cold.  Apparently they loaded me up into my mother's car and sent me on my way.  Nice.

The point of this story is...don't book a tooth extraction from  polish oral surgon in Chicago when you have no idea who they are in the first place.

1. profile image48

I'm back just  had my tooth extraction 5 hours ago. Thanks God. I still have to observe if my antibiotic is good for me hope I will not be allergic to it.

16. kuyadave_1996 profile image54
    kuyadave_1996posted 14 years ago

hi, your topic is helpful for kids who has cavities.Well i say good job.

17. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 14 years ago

I don't think anyone actually enjoys going to the dentist, its just not a comfortable experience not that its supposed to be but it can be a frightening thing to have teeth extracted and the part I dislike the most is that loud suction machine they use to get up the slobber. LOL smile

18. Everyday Miracles profile image85

I hate the way that doctor's offices (including dentists) smell! I have serious olfactory memory!

19. Everyday Miracles profile image85

That sucks sad

I hope the probiotic helps!

20. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Ladyvenus, glad to hear you're ok so far. I was never a big dentist fan, though I always went. However, that changed last September after a truly awful trip to my new dentist. All I can say is I now fall apart (noisily, I have no shame) if I have a scheduled visit sad

1. profile image48

I got my one front denture already lol.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)