How big is your English vocabulary?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (49 posts)
  1. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 12 years ago

Just took this interesting quiz and came out with an estimated vocabulary of 32,700 English words - a bit lower than I would have liked. Time to crack the books, I guess. tongue

What's your score?

http://www.testyourvocab.com/

1. tobey100 profile image61
      tobey100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

No too big I'm afraid.  I was born in Alabama and live in Tennessee.  It's a wonder I can even read!

1. LeslieAdrienne profile image71
        LeslieAdrienneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. Gillme profile image60
      Gillmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mine won't be too bad comparing others in my grade , I'm in 8th grade. So....
      But if i do a contest or go in like...national spelling b then u could say I'm out! smile

1. WriteAngled profile image75
        WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I assume being eighth grade means you are a schoolchild. If this is so, you are not permitted to have an account here. Only adults aged 18 years or older can become members of Hubpages

http://hubpages.com/help/user_agreement

1. Gillme profile image60
          Gillmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm only using hub when ther's an adult IN the room (duh) !

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
            Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are still not allowed to be a member.

2. Extinct Soul profile image60
            Extinct Soulposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Or you could atleast accept the fact that you're old and stop pretensions..

3. LeslieAdrienne profile image71

Gillme

Where do you get off insulting other adults? And, what does the presence of an adult have to do with you violating the rules?

See, this is the problem... your are not permitted to be here, the adult in the room is allowing you to be disobedient. Now, when you turn 15 and start acting a fool, that adult is going to wonder why....

Well, they can place the blame first on themselves... the fact is, that adult is training you to disregard rules, conduct yourself in a disrespectful manner and is acting irresponsibly. 

P.S. I really don't care if you like what I'm saying, in fact, I hope you get angry enough to go on a more suitable age appropriate site.

3. LeslieAdrienne profile image71

I had to be honest because although I could pronounce the majority of the words and have seen many in print... I had to only check those that I actually could give a definition for....

2. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 12 years ago

34,900. Great quiz.

3. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I'm wondering how accurate the estimate can be, given the small number of test words.

1. tobey100 profile image61
      tobey100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Me too, 39,700.  Wonder if we knew the same words?

Well, uxoricide was among mine.

I was curious to see if there is an antonym, but could not find one on searching. I suppose it would be maritusicide, which is a bit of a tongue twister.

Out of interest, I went back to the test and checked every word as known. The result for vocabulary size came to 45,000. Given the blurb on the side says the OED has 300,000 entries, that seems to be a very small proportion of the theoretical total, even allowing for derivatives.

kerrygposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They talk about that on their FAQ and methodolgy pages, which are a rather interesting read. Basically, there aren't that many "general" vocabulary words beyond 45,000; it's mostly archaic, scientific, and technical terms.

They also didn't test for things like country/city names, which would instantly raise all our scores by thousands, or derivatives (i.e. quick, quickly, quicker; jump, jumped, jumping).

That implies an interesting value judgement on their part. Words such as "portmanteau" or "lothario" are unlikely to be known by many younger people who have probably not been fed as intense a diet of 19th and early 20th century literature at school as I was in the 1960s-1970s. In fact, I would class such words as archaic.

On the other hand, these younger people are probably familiar with numerous modern scientific and technical terms that are not included in the test and thus their vocabularies may well be very much larger than is being reported.

4. profile image0
    adeaugustusposted 12 years ago

words
    I should have done better

5. classicalgeek profile image82
    classicalgeekposted 12 years ago

Server crashes when I try, on the first page. I guess they just didn't expect me to know both "mawkish" and "uxoricide." That's why I get for taking Latin and reading so many Victorian novels.

I had to use the back arrow several times to get back to the completed first page because the second page would not load. Eventually it did load, and then I had to do the same to move on from the second page. Luckily, backtracking does not wipe the answers.

2. classicalgeek profile image82
      classicalgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ah, finally. 42,800. Pathetic. sad Back to the books.

6. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 12 years ago

30,200 sad

7. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

8. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 12 years ago

Okay, I am having way too much fun with this and just did the test with the kids I have hanging around today.

My 4 year old daughter got 6,020, and I think could have gotten higher, but she started losing interest partway through the second page.

My 9 year old niece, who's a native English speaker herself, but whose parents are not, got 10,300.

My 14 year old nephew, who arrived in this country 4 years ago speaking very little English, got 23,300, which is well above the average for his age and in the top few percentage points for non-native speakers as well. \o/ It's amazing what a little reading will do! He wasn't much of a reader when he arrived, but then he discovered the wonders of fantasy novels and has never looked back. smile

My 6 year old nephew, who arrived in this country two years ago without speaking a word of English, is already up to 5,520! The speed of language acquisition at that age is really phenomenal. I'm jealous. smile

Those are marvellous results!

Fantasy is often denigrated. As an avid reader of fantasy, I'm really pleased to see the positive influence you mention. smile

kerrygposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wish he'd read a little more variety, especially in nonfiction and the classics, but as a fantasy fan myself, I can't complain too much. Good fantasy is as good as any other genre, imho - I agree that it's often unfairly denigrated.

I think other genres and non-fiction will come. There will come a time when he will want something a bit different for a change now and then. smile

9. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

35,700. I'm going to have to pass that link on. Great quiz.

10. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Page won't load on my end. Oh well. lol

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What particular end are you  loading it in, Cagsil? May be it's the wrong one... big_smile

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

roll

It's called click on link and page won't load. Your sarcasm or joke, whichever, isn't necessary.

11. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 12 years ago

Without taking the text I assume my vocabulary is roughly 1 mile by 12 with a weight of 600 tons....

well you did ask how big it was! tongue

12. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

Sorry, Cags, I thought my jokes are always safe with you. It's my fig's leaf against reality. I do not have any English vocabulary, do not even dare to check! http://www.pic4ever.com/images/devil.gif

13. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

I'd rather not say, on the grounds that it might make me look stupid.

14. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Finally got the link to work and as I expected, my vocabulary is limited to 20,500 words.

1. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey cagsil. You may be limited to 20,500 words, but you use those words well. smile

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you kindly Emile. smile I'm humbled. smile

15. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

I usually use same words in different combinations until I get something that closely resembles to my thoughts in a different language. Sometimes I have no idea what language do I use for thinking!

Hah, I sometimes forget what language I'm translating out of...   mid-translation!

Then I suddenly realise that the dictionary I'm searching in makes no sense whatsoever, because I'm translating out of Slovenian not Polish, or whatever... LOL!

16. K9keystrokes profile image85
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

41,600...out of 300,000; this just hurts! sad

17. Extinct Soul profile image60
    Extinct Soulposted 12 years ago

for foreign learners of English the average is 2,500–9,000

I got 10,100..whew! I better play on the Forums more often...

18. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be:
    words smile Interesting but many of those words were easy. sad There testing was peculiar.

19. Rosie2010 profile image66
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

Hol-ly!  All those high scorers!

I only got 19,400 - no espeeka engles hahahahaha!

good thing I fall under "foreign learners of English" phew!

20. glassvisage profile image84
    glassvisageposted 12 years ago

Ha ha! 21,700 words for this journalism graduate! smile
    Thanks for the quiz!

21. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 12 years ago

I got to page two and felt stupid. I have a firm grasp on words like, "eat" and "sit", as well as many words considered "vulgar" or "slang". I will get out a dictionary to read while perusing the list later. I do not know as many words as I would like to know.

22. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

I got an 8.

1. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 12 years agoin reply to this

sweet. 8 is great.

1. Shadesbreath profile image76
        Shadesbreathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Huh?

big_smile

1. profile image0
          DoorMattnomoreposted 12 years agoin reply to this

what?  wink

I was going to say.."sorry, I like lame rhymes."

but then I thought you might be joking.....

1. Shadesbreath profile image76
            Shadesbreathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had faith. Jokes only work if you trust people to get them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)