university or college?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (19 posts)
  1. matherese profile image59
    mathereseposted 13 years ago

What do you prefer would  you send your child to university or college?

1. saleheensblog profile image61
      saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

in our education system the cronology of education is school[10years]>college[2years]>university[5years]>bla bla bla...

2. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was under the impression college & university were the same thing - I thought college was US term for university.  So there's a difference?

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There can be if your not from the US. College & University are different in Australia too.

1. profile image0

In NZ, high school is often referred to as College

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
            Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

BB, I was thinking in the form of, in Australia,

T.A.F.E. - Tertiary And Further Education Colleges being Australian Govt subsidized places of learning &

University's being privatized places of learning.

Don't know if they call senior high school colleges (they didn't certainly when I was in school), yet I have seen the 'names' of some high schools in the last 10-15 years becoming called 'colleges'.

3. OpinionDuck profile image60
      OpinionDuckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would prefer a better education system geared to our current society, rather than ones based on Ancient Greece and Romans.

The education system needs to be rebuilt from the ground up, from K through college.

Formal education is overrated, and I don't say that because I don't have a formal education.

I fact I have several degrees and over 250 semester units, so I say it from the trenches, formal education is overrated.

For me the whole purpose of education is to get a job, and the graduates of formal education are way out of step with the real jobs that they will apply for.

Industry and education must get closer together.

4. livewithrichard profile image73
      livewithrichardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It depends on the student.  If your student is above average in high school then s/he will probably do well at university.  If the student is average or below then community college or trade school would be a better choice to start. 

Personally, I was an average high school student, I joined the Army and went to University right after my service obligation.  That time spent in the Army made me more mature and disciplined and I was a 4.0 pre-law student all through university.

5. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

it depends on the student first. some students will do better in a college before entering a university where higher degrees can be obtained.  some choose colleges first and then transfer to a university to complete their degrees.

in some large universities, the separate schools of learning are referred to as colleges.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

I think you would need to ake it clearer what you are asking.  As mentioned in some countries college is high school, in some it is identical to university.  What exacrly do you mean the difference between the two to be?

1. profile image0

technical college for trade?  But they offer degrees now

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

In Canada, after high school, we can choose between Community College and University. I chose College because I was learning a trade and I would be able to get a job after graduation. I took University courses later.

I guess it depends what your child wants to do. If they want to be a lawyer or a doctor they need to go to University.

1. profile image0

I did a university science degree in NZ.  While interesting, it wasn't particularly useful career-wise, as NZ wasn't much into science

4. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

In the U.S., college and university are almost synonymous unless you're talking about a junior college or community college that doesn't offer more than a four-year degree. As a matter of fact, universities here are usually made up of a collection of small colleges.

Take Yale University, for instance. Its undergraduate program is really Yale College, just one part of the university.

Bottom line -- in the U.S. it's all about the school's programs and reputation and less about whether it's a college or university.

5. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 13 years ago

Lets be honest - most university time is used by people who have absolutely no interest in being there - just a cop out for three/four years - I think every one should be in the army for two years and then offered the opportunity to go to university or the work place - I think people would appreciate their time at University/college if they realised the alternative smile

6. profile image53
    heathcliffshposted 13 years ago

After completely 12th,mostly students want to go College Specially and I think,Colleges is best path but the students should go to University because Colleges is not right way for news generation.Thanking you.
    http://purecleans.wordpress.com/2010/12 … e-cleanse/

7. matherese profile image59
    mathereseposted 13 years ago

In some countries students have two options those who want to be further their education would go to universities to become engineers, doctors, physicians, lawyers etc..

As for those who are not interested in further education they choose to go to college where they will have a certificate not a degree eg "City and Guilds"  in electricity, plumbing, carpentry etc..

However it is the responsibility of parents to guide their children about their future career.  Because I have a university degree I encourage every young person to go to university, but my friends who went to college say college is the best because you only study for 6 to 24months whereas university takes between 3 to 6 years and more.

What is your view about this?

8. profile image49
    karenfreyposted 12 years ago

At least in the US, the difference between ‘college’ and ‘university is limited to mere semantics, and is not significant enough to affect the value of the degree earned. A University is an umbrella institution which is comprised of several colleges/departments, while a college functions as a single unit. Beyond that there really isn’t much of a difference. Whether it’s a college or a university, what determines an institution’s value is accreditations, success rates, the quality of its undergraduate and graduate degree programs, and its ratings.

9. Sneha Sunny profile image86
    Sneha Sunnyposted 12 years ago

All the colleges are always under some university. An Institution is considered as an University when various different colleges is opened by the institution like college for medicine, engineering, law, general degree etc. But a college is a single unit of a university. Like college of law, that comprises a single subject, that is law..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)