Spiritual but not Religious

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)
  1. GitaYoga.Net profile image58
    GitaYoga.Netposted 14 years ago

The library is quite a peaceful place and the mid-afternoon daylight pours through the floor to ceiling windows. I have always enjoyed writing in the quiet of a library or bookstore, though the relative ruckus of High School adolescents reminds me to schedule my library sojourn for an earlier hour of the day.

This morning, during my mantra-meditation practices, my mind kept toying with this concept of spirituality vs. religion. I encounter many in my coaching and speaking programs who vehemently abhor organized religion. I can understand that sentiment as I was raised in a religious institution myself. Practitionerâ??s disdain for ritualistic and institutionalozed practices, rules and regulations, devoid of mature spiritual development and understanding, is in most cases well-founded.

Letâ??s set religiosity aside for the time being; at least religiosity as defined as an institution. What is spirituality? It is easy to define religion and religiosity. However, peopleâ??s definition of spirituality varies from person to person. I will say that in my experience, more often than not, spirituality is basically religion without the â??Godâ?? element. Religion without â??all the worship and service to Godâ?? generally describes most peopleâ??s idea of spirituality.

Religiosity, devoid of â??worship and service to a particular Godâ??, still does not clearly explain or define spirituality. The definition of spirituality, with or without acknowledging God, is a significant issue considering the saying by the philosopher Chardin. â??We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.â??

As spirit beings inhabiting a matter-based reality we will naturally encounter some incongruities. The question is simple; how do spirit-made beings function in a matter-based world?

The process of negation is one way to identify and nourish our spirituality. Letâ??s eliminate gratification. The senses of sight, smell, taste, touch and sound provide us with sensual pleasure and gratification. However, activities that are not primarily intended to gratify these senses, yet still give us a sense of happiness, is an activity that stimulates the soul, hence spiritual.

If we invite a friend to accompany us to the movies with the primary intention of sharing the experience and getting to know the other person then the evening can be spiritually uplifting. If our primary concern was the stimulation of our senses, during the movie and thereafter, then we are susceptible to frustration if the movie turns out to be drivel and the evening does not turn out to be sensually gratifying.

Our spirituality is identified, nourished and strengthened when we choose activities and engagements that are only secondarily or incidentally stimulating to our material senses.

Problem solving must be done in a similar fashion. When we encounter problems and find solutions to those problems that are not primarily tied to our personal, sensual gratification the resultant spiritual solutions will be far more universally applicable, acceptable and beneficial.

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said. The spirit soars when we are with our children, listening to them when they are little and sharing their fantasies.I believe that we are hardwired to religiosity and need to meditate, read and learn so we are informed by our self knowledge and thereby grow to love the lifelong task of individuation.

1. profile image0
        Whikatposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you both for your very thoughtful insights. This was very refreshing to my spirit. Thanks again Gentlemen. :-)

2. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Religions are the spiritual teachings based on a particular master.
      Spirituality engulfs all yet they are the same ,both seek to unite with the spirit. smile
      Spirituality just doesn't have a particular master. smile

2. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Spirituality requires no god.

1. mohitmisra profile image60

Spirit is god.

Funny I thought you had taken that job!

1. mohitmisra profile image60

When you understand the meaning of spirit you will understand the meaning of god.

2. packerpack profile image59
        packerpackposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Looks like the fight is about to begin!

The action is on another forum just now!

1. packerpack profile image59
            packerpackposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh is it .... where?

the jesus one.

3. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

duck everyone !!!!!!!!!!

Yes I have checked it out still arguing in the Jesus one too, will they ever dry up.......

Or will I, you could well ask I suppose, hey I think they may be moving over here

4. Inspirepub profile image73
    Inspirepubposted 14 years ago

And by their actions do they ably demonstrate WHY so many people abhor organised religion.

It is too easy for people's ego-selves to get hooked in to the religion as a form of denial of death - indeed, organised religions encourage this addictive behaviour - and then any "insult" to the religion becomes personal.

Take two people from two different organised religions who are in the same state of ego-enmeshment, and you have a permanent duel in the making.

If either one actually lets go of self-righteousness and returns to the spiritual principles which are encoded in any teaching that outlives its originator, they instantly step out of the battle and return to a state of peace.

I have seen Mohit do it before, so I know he is capable of enlightened behaviour - and it only takes one to break the cycle.

Jenny

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)