Sleep Paralysis: Plagued the last couple nights

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (23 posts)
  1. kittythedreamer profile image74
    kittythedreamerposted 12 years ago

I've had it once before when I was about 20 years old, sleep paralysis that is. If you don't know what it is, it can be described by feelings of being paralyzed or suffocated in your sleep. Although scientists say that you're not actually sleeping, your mind has woken up but your body feels paralyzed because your brain's still telling your body not to move..that you're sleeping still. Anyways, I had it again two nights ago and it was more frightening than before. This time it involved my daughter...this invisible entity was pulling her out of my bed and shaking her uncontrollably. Of course, I woke up or broke out of the hallucination/sleep paralysis and was frightened and didn't want to go back to sleep after that. Last night, I dreamt that it came and visited me again, but I was able to sort of battle it in my mind by praying and telling it to leave. Today I woke up and felt better and did a cleansing with some white sage and some prayers before leaving the house. Has anyone experienced this? Do you feel it's supernatural or simply a trick that the mind plays on us?

1. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Restless leg syndrome, sleep apnea, narcolepsy, insomnia- they are all disturbances associated with sleep. I don't think any of them are supernatural.

I have had periods when I would wake with a start and my breathing had stopped so that I was struggling for breath. That was scary.

2. Knight6 profile image64
      Knight6posted 12 years agoin reply to this

something is troubling you or worring you must probably your daughter the feeling is the sub concess fighting the concess (forgive the spelling)to stop the real feelings from showing it is your minds defence system trying to stop bad feelings worry etc....

kittythedreamerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Will Apse - Have you ever had an invisible entity visit you during these episodes? It feels a lot more terrifying than simply not breathing or have your legs being restless. It feels innately spiritual...and this isn't the first time I've experienced it.

Knight6 - Perhaps you're right. I don't know what's worrying me about my daughter, though.

1. shogan profile image77
          shoganposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've had that sensation several times in my life, kitty.  I don't believe for a minute that it's supernatural...it's just that your mind has partially awakened when your body has not.  It is terrifying, though.  I do understand the emotions you had.

Thanks, Shogan. I'd love to believe it's not. smile

1. shogan profile image77
              shoganposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I responded because I understand why you're wondering what you're wondering.  It's easy to believe you're being "visited" or held down when your body won't do what it normally does.  There's nothing spooky about it...it's just a pain in the $#%.

3. thoughthole profile image85
      thoughtholeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Kittythedreamer, I have had a lifetime of experiencing both sleep paralysis, night terrors, and more rarely sleep walking. I know how very real these experiences are and how terrifying and disturbing they can be. I believe from the description of your episode you are experiencing a combination of both sleep paralysis and night terror in one. I also believe that these are produced by the conscious and subconsciuous mind not functioning properly during the sleep cycle, These are sleep disorders in my opinion purely physical, and chemical malfunctions of the brain. In my experience I have these types of episodes more frequently when I am sleep deprived, and or preoccupied with something from daily life. Do any of these things sound like they may fit into your life at this time?

It's quite possible. I don't think I was sleep-deprived, nor am I normally...I usually get a lot of sleep; however, there've been some serious things on my mind as of late...including my spirituality.

2. Alastar Packer profile image71
    Alastar Packerposted 12 years ago

Kitty there was a time when for maybe two years I had it pretty bad, and like what your going through, sleep-time started becoming anxious time. There never were any entitys except for once when something completely different happened. Here's how they finally stopped: for some reason I eventually got it in my head that some vital nutrients were low or missing from the diet. So I started eating really well with lots of fresh fruits and garden vegetables. Perhaps it was psychological but it wasn't long after starting that they went away and haven't returned. These were just the hypnogogic state with its fear and paralysis. When entitys and such are part of the experience I believe- at least in some cases- that its possible for dis-embodied presences to enter the minds eye in that vulnerable state between the consciousnesses. Do hope your situation resolves quickly Kitty. Sure can empathize with you. Best wishes and I'd so like to give you a 100% help on this if I could my friend.

AP - Thanks so much for the support. I read some more about the causes or possible causes for sleep paralysis, and I found that changes in sleep schedule can sometimes be factors...and I did have a nap on Saturday which isn't normal for my sleep routine. Not sure if that is an actual factor, but I found it interesting, nonetheless. While there seems to be physiological and psychological reasons as to why these terrifying experiences occur, I find it weird that everytime I start getting more involved with my own spirituality, I get bouts of sleep paralysis. I feel as though because I am open to such things, that it may make me vulnerable to negative forces, as well? Just a crazy thought...but it's probably just a physical factor.

1. Aficionada profile image81
        Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think there's a very good chance that you become more vulnerable in some way, when you spend awake/conscious thought, time, and focus in studying spiritual forces - even if the vulnerability is a result of those thoughts becoming embedded in some way in your subconscious and creating fears that were not there before.  (I don't mean that that is definitely what is happening to you, but rather that such a thing can happen.)

The most likely explanation, in my opinion, is that the current problem is a combination of physical, psychological, and spiritual factors, but I couldn't begin to say which ones dominate.  If you can nurture yourself in all of these areas while you are awake, you may (possibly) find some relief from these terrifying episodes.

It's difficult to do this, as I don't know in which areas I'm lacking. I feel as though I am a balanced person. Thank you for the opinion, it's very well justified.

1. Aficionada profile image81
            Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That makes sense.  I would guess, in that case, just to start with what you do know (although you may already be doing everything) - such as keeping a regular sleep schedule (since you mentioned the possible correlation with a daytime nap), making sure you are eating well (as Alastar Packer mentioned), making sure you are taking advantage of whatever spiritual protection you know of and that is available to you, and making sure that you banish fears from your thoughts.  I mention these because I know that I myself often don't do the things that I know would help me the most.

My apologies, if you are already doing all of these things.

Don't apologize! You have some great advice. I think it's probably having to do with my fears...spiritually to be exact. Thanks for the support!

3. profile image0
    Holmes221bposted 12 years ago

I had an experience, which I now put down to sleep paralysis, but which at the time I thought was real.  I couldn't sleep at night, so I came downstairs to sit on the sofa.  I then looked to the other end of the room and saw an elderly woman standing there.  She was looking at a painting on the wall.  I noticed she was wearing a floral dressing gown and a very large pair of glasses.  I said "who the hell are you?"  She looked at me and said, " I am Mrs. Day!"  She then looked back to the picture and disappeared into it.  Her gown became part of the gown worn by the figure in the painting.  The strange thing, was that after this, I went straight to sleep. 

Neighbours, who knew Mrs. Day said that she actually did own such a dressing gown and glasses.  This confirmed to me that I had seen a spirit.  However, after years, I no longer believe this to be the case.  I am now convinced that the experience was caused by sleep paralysis.  The fact that I went to sleep after, suggests to me that I was actually asleep when I saw Mrs. Day.

An added bit to the story happened a few years after this experience, when I met my next door neighbour, who I had not really spoken to before.  She told me how Mrs. Day had been attacked in my home, by thieves who had demanded her ring from her finger, and when she refused to give it up, they cut off her finger, and Mrs. Day later died from the shock.  I have my doubts though about this story, as no one else has ever mentioned it.  The house was empty for a few years before I moved in and was in a terrible state.  I used to believe in ghosts, but no longer do, and believe there are normal explanations for all of these experiences.

Holmes - Wow! That is super intense and creepy. If it was me, I'd be inclined to believe it was Mrs. Day trying to come in contact with you. But...I'm a believer in the paranormal and spiritual...maybe that's my problem!

4. CASE1WORKER profile image60
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

According to my mother- my great uncle sufferred from narcolepsy. He had an attack whilst crossing a road and got run over by a bus. To make matters worse his heavily pregnant sister walking on the same road saw the whole thing, fainted, knocked her head, went into a coman and came out of it six weeks later to find she had given birth to a baby.Strange but true.

Did he have sleep paralysis? That's not the exact same thing as sleep paralysis, though sleep paralysis has been a symptom of narcolepsy.

1. CASE1WORKER profile image60
        CASE1WORKERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not sure, it was rather a long time ago- I am sure that there are a lot more involved treatments now. You ought to pop and see a doctor and see what they have to say

If it keeps happening, I might do that. Thanks!

5. brakel2 profile image72
    brakel2posted 12 years ago

Sometimes when I sleep by mistake beyond eight hours, I wake up feeling like I can't move or walk. It is supposed to be sleep apnea. I wish you luck and prayers for your problem. I have heard about all kinds of night disturbances. It is scary.

Thanks, brakel2. I appreciate it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)