Would you keep a pet that attacked family members?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (23 posts)
  1. princess g profile image60
    princess gposted 12 years ago

My parents have a really annoying dog that bites people and constantly barks when anyone walks by. I've been bitten by this dog at least three times. I've tried to be friendly with this dog, it isn't just me he attacks when I come over.

My sister has a cat that scratches and bites people,and chews on their shoes or thier purse.

I love my family, but I don't get WHY they keep these pets. This behavior wouldn't be tolerated if it was a human,would it? No.

I would NEVER keep a pet that attacked people. It would be gone the first time.

1. catsimmons profile image83
      catsimmonsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It sounds dangerous and needs some help. I would try and see if there were options for training or medication and if not then it would have to be re-homed.

2. tlmcgaa70 profile image61
      tlmcgaa70posted 12 years agoin reply to this

i have a guard dog. she has bitten 3 people. not bad bites, only nips, enough to let them know she meant business. in each case the person was a drunk who came onto the property. in each case, when i apologized for the bite i was told not to worry, out here a good guard dog is vital. she is very protective of me. but once i tell her someone is a friend, she usually accepts that person. sometimes she knows them better than i do and even though sh wont actually bite them, i can tell she wont trust them or let them anywhere near me either. i raised her to think for herself and she does, determining for herself who to accept as friend and who to watch as enemy...but she never bites unless she feels it is needful.

3. inaniLoquence profile image72
      inaniLoquenceposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The technique is not to be friendly to a dog that has an aggressive behaviour and thinks that he's the boss of the family (or in dog's world, pack leader). It's also not advisable to treat a dog as a human since they're inherently animals and animals think like animals, not like us.

You should also not approach a dog with fear or uncertainty since they essentially feel what you're feeling. Instead, approach with a calm assertive behaviour (not too aggressive in your approach). If you have this kind of energy, the dog will see you as the pack leader.

if he's about to pounce on you, do not feel scared. Instead, use the back of your hand (or tennis raquet or anything) to push lightly the neck of the dog (not very forcefully-- just enough to let the dog know that the behaviour is not tolerated). Repeat if the dog repeats the behaviour again and accompany it with "tsst" sound every time.

I would suggest for you to watch "The Dog Whisperer" and you will learn how to manage your aggressive dog. Don't give up on him... smile

2. saddlerider1 profile image59
    saddlerider1posted 12 years ago

I would definitely try to help this dog, probably call up the Dog Whisperer for help.

1. inaniLoquence profile image72

Yes! That's what I also suggested. I learned a lot just by watching Cesar Millan. smile

3. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

For me, it would depend on the viciousness of the attack and whether or not the animal was provoked.

BTW - Hi, Saddle!

4. jcmayer777 profile image64
    jcmayer777posted 12 years ago

Call me a jerk, but a long walk into the woods with my rifle would be in order.

What if it bites a small child?  What if it bites the wrong person and they sue?  It probably won't get better...only worse with time.

5. saddlerider1 profile image59
    saddlerider1posted 12 years ago

Hi Habee, BTW I followed your advice about not par boiling ribs first as it takes away flavors, your absolutely right, I had a feast of homemade ribs tonight and they were succulent. Thanks for the tips.

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome!

I thought you both were talking about the dog. I was like, "Whoa! Did they really cooked the dog's ribs?" HAHA.

*cook

6. Lyn.Stewart profile image68
    Lyn.Stewartposted 12 years ago

In all honesty the dog is protecting its home and family ... It is being the top dog because not one else has done it.

This is the very nature of dogs because they are pack animals. If one of your parents stepped up and became the pack leader all the aggression from the dog would stop.

Saddlerider is right ... you may need the help of the dog whisperer or to take the dog to obedience training (basically trains the human to be top dog).

Sadly this happens all too often when people don't know how dogs act and react and don't take the top dog possition for themselves. It is not the dogs fault, however the aggression will continue to escalate until someone takes control.

Lyn, you watch too much Dog Whisperer! HAHA. If I hear the words, Pack Leader, I immediately think of the show. smile

7. tarrka1089 profile image60
    tarrka1089posted 12 years ago

Your parents definitely need to step up and work with this behavior.  They need to teach the dog that biting people who are welcomed into their home is not allowed.  Depending on how long this behavior has been permitted, they may need a professional trainer to come to the home to assist them.

I agree with Lyn, your parents need to show the dog that they are the alpha leader and that they will not allow the biting.  As for your sister and her cat, that is a whole other matter.

8. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

"VWould you keep a pet that attacked family members?"

No!

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Then again....big_smile

9. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

When I was a kid, our fox terrier bit me in the face. I totally deserved it. I was goading her into it, so I got what I asked for. I learned my lesson, and she never again offered to bite. She was a great little dog!

10. recommend1 profile image59
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

I think the owners of dogs and cats that bite should be put down immediately so that they cannot ruin any more animal lives with their incompetence.

I kept my wife for over ten years after she started attacking everyone and I should have put her down much earlier, but we live and learn I guess.

1. Lyn.Stewart profile image68
      Lyn.Stewartposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol recommend1 ...I almost agree with you but perhaps trying to train the owners first would be a better response ... however if that doesn't work then the animals should be given to someone who is willing to do the hard work to save these poor creatures and the so called owners should not be able to have another pet to ruin.

1. recommend1 profile image59
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

and aggressive partners ?

1. Lyn.Stewart profile image68
          Lyn.Stewartposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agressive partnersshouldbe treatedthe same way ... anger management and if that fails then they shouldn't be allowed to have another partner ... wonders how that would go down.

Although your idea for aggressive partners would certainly be the fastest fix would we not be lowering ourselves to their level? ... just a thought ... and yes I totally understand feeling that putting some of these people down would save many people soo much hurt.

11. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 12 years ago

I have two guard kitties that attack people, but they are EXTREMELY lovable and nice to me. I get made fun of for them and they've been compared to the alligators in the children's flick, "The Rescuers."

http://popcultureplaypen.files.wordpres … d-nero.jpg

I wouldn't give them up for the world.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)