Feds target pot dispensaries

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

APNewsBreak: Feds target pot dispensaries
    By LISA LEFF - Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Federal prosecutors have launched a crackdown on pot dispensaries in California, warning the stores they must shut down in 45 days or face criminal charges and confiscation of their property even if they are operating legally under the state's 15-year-old medical marijuana law.
    In an escalation of the ongoing conflict between the U.S. government and the nation's burgeoning medical marijuana industry, California's four U.S. attorneys sent letters Wednesday and Thursday notifying at least 16 pot shops or their landlords that they are violating federal drug laws, even though medical marijuana is legal in California
    http://news.yahoo.com/apnewsbreak-feds- … 53739.html
    well it was bound to happen I guess...lot sof people jumping on the pot band wagon makes the Feds nervous..

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

http://mosthi.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/weed_white_house_mosthi-600x270.jpg
    From May. Seems to be the Feds favorite past time. smile

http://mosthi.com/marijuana-activists-c … j-threats/

I wonder which Fed website will be crashed this time.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60

And so much for the 10th amendment...

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

4. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

There's seems to be a lot of confusion here...the Feds are stepping on the toes of the State leaders who are legally within their right to make up their laws about selling it..so who will win this battle?roll

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The one with the most guns.

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

States vs Feds? States are going to win this battle.

6. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

"The House Judiciary Committee passed a bill Thursday that would make it a federal crime for U.S. residents to discuss or plan activities on foreign soil that, if carried out in the U.S., would violate the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) — even if the planned activities are legal in the countries where they’re carried out. The new law, sponsored by Judiciary Committee Chairman Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas) allows prosecutors to bring conspiracy charges against anyone who discusses, plans or advises someone else to engage in any activity that violates the CSA, the massive federal law that prohibits drugs like marijuana and strictly regulates prescription medication.

“Under this bill, if a young couple plans a wedding in Amsterdam, and as part of the wedding, they plan to buy the bridal party some marijuana, they would be subject to prosecution,” said Bill Piper, director of national affairs for the Drug Policy Alliance, which advocates for reforming the country’s drug laws. “The strange thing is that the purchase of and smoking the marijuana while you’re there wouldn’t be illegal. But this law would make planning the wedding from the U.S. a federal crime.”

It's here: the thought-crime police. Speilberg movie starring Tom Cruise years ago.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Now that's absurd.

7. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

It is glaringly obvious the feds have two much time on their hands with nothing to do. Time to cut back on government; until such time as they can occupy themselves full time with more worthy pursuits.

8. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

IF you're upset about this, vote for Ron Paul.

1. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've got to ask. Does he pay you?

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
        Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No - I'm just passionate against tyranny.

It's just amazing to hear people on these forums say things like: "We need to bring our troops home", "The economy's in a mess", "Both parties are liars and the same", "we need to legalize drugs"...

... and then say something like "Ron Paul's a nut-job".

You agree with 85% of what he says, but because people tell you he's crazy, you ignore him and vote for the guy you don't agree with at all.

1. profile image0
          Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, I hope your passion isn't disappointed as mine has been over the years. Believing in a candidate, only to find out they are more of the same once they get in office.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60
          Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think he's a nut job, at all. When I first heard him speak, I actually thought that he was a Democrat.(excuse my ignorance of who's who in US politics) Without bringing this down to a left and right thing, to me at least, he appears to have quite a left wing stance on some issues, I'm thinking specifically of his anti-war stance. I think the problem is that that would not bode well with his party, and is even less likely to attract donations, or be popular with the right wing media.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image62
      Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

After a couple more bong hits, I'll be ready to.  Otherwise, I'll vote for one of the candidates who is not coo-coo for Cocoa-Puffs

9. paradigmsearch profile image60

Ron Paul
    http://www.ronpaul.com/images/ron-paul-dont-steal-government-hates-competition.jpg
    Now THAT'S funny. smile

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's my desktop background image.

10. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 12 years ago

Okay , I promise if you vote for me ,  a doobie in every set of lips , and a med card for pot for every child.........Okay .....does anyone get it?

11. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 12 years ago

Tobacco use is the single most preventable cause of disease, disability, and death in the United States. Each year, an estimated 443,000 people die prematurely from smoking or exposure to secondhand smoke, and another 8.6 million live with a serious illness caused by smoking. Despite these risks, approximately 46.6 million U.S. adults smoke cigarettes.

* Number of alcoholic liver disease deaths: 14,406
        * Number of alcohol-induced deaths, excluding accidents and homicides: 23,199
    source:  Center for Disease Control

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/alcohol.htm

Number of confirmed deaths from Pharmaceutical Drugs per year  100,000
    Number of deaths from Peanut Allergy 100

Number of deaths from smoking marijuana ZERO

You can turn on the evening news and nearly every night see the death tool from Alcohol, Cigarettes, etc.

Have you ever seen a news story where someone died as a result of smoking marijuana?

1. SandyMcCollum profile image63
      SandyMcCollumposted 12 years agoin reply to this

MikeNV, why are you always arguing on this topic? Nobody's saying marijuana should/shouldn't be legalized here, or that it causes death or crime. We're talking about the feds over-ruling the states' laws and raiding dispensaries, and what the possible outcome may be.

Personally, I think the feds need something else to do. If the states allow it, the feds shouldn't be able to walk in and make arrests. My doctor told me that one of their doctors prescribed marijuana in Oregon's early medical marijuana days, and the feds arrested him, so they don't prescribe it even if they think it's the best medicine for the patient. That's sad.

I hope the feds don't continue this, it really screws things up for people when their pharmacy gets raided!

1. MikeNV profile image67
        MikeNVposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why?

Because I have personally watched people DIE and ROT from Cancer when this Drug can help they that's why.

Until you have sat right next to a person who for no reason suddenly starts sweating profusely and shaking and suffering you can't get it.

Until you can see a man one day and know he died the next you don't get it.

Until you witness a woman go blind from cancer and get hauled to the hospital and die two hours later you can't get it.

That's why.

12. L.L. Woodard profile image68
    L.L. Woodardposted 12 years ago

I had thought the Obama administration was taking a hands-off approach to states with medical marijuana laws. Obviously not, as I read not long ago that the Feds cracked down on dispensaries in Montana, and now this with California.

People who are concerned about this, myself included, need to act now by writing letters or making phone calls to the White House. Talking about presidential candidates means first waiting for the election and then seeing who wins.

Currently Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass) has introduced House Bill 2306 that would mandate the federal government take a back seat to state's rights in regard to marijuana and that the drug be taken off the Controlled Substances list.

I've written my representative to the House about my feelings on this issue; he replied that while he appreciated my interest, he would be voting no on this because he "knows" marijuana has no medical purpose and is a dangerous substance. (Oklahoma is a Bible Belt state, my representative a conservative Republican.)

13. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 12 years ago

Silly. Let them have their pot. I've never seen what the big deal was in the first place.

14. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Legalize pot!! Free up our police forces to combat REAL crimes.

15. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

The perceived problem with pot is that it is anti-progressive. People tend become appreciative of the present rather than try to change it. It is incompatible with a good work force, and the pursuit of a great many things.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)